Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

See post #245 above. And people will have to make their own judgements about whether anyone is 'bothered' by what is posted by others on here. Given none of us is doing anything other than typing characters on a keyboard, I would have thought it's highly presumptuous to suggest that we can accurately read the mood of others at all as they post.

Still, how utterly ironic that you're bothered enough to respond to me supposedly being bothered by what I consider to be irrational and plainly silly posting by someone else entirely. A thoroughly brilliant way for you to underline your propensity for the very behaviour you're come to 'call out' here.

I don't 'call out' s**t. I comment on what I comment on, but whether every poster on here adores Scott, the club, Kent Kingsley (just read the post - didn't see it initially), the wonders of Brett Spinks, or hate them doesn't really matter. I definitely don't pretend to be morally outraged by others because I'm inherently superior. That ground is well and truly covered.

Don't like what I post - put me on ignore. I could care less.

That would be 'thoroughly brilliant'.

I don't 'call out' sh*t. I comment on what I comment on, but whether every poster on here adores Scott, the club, Kent Kingsley (just read the post - didn't see it initially), the wonders of Brett Spinks, or hate them doesn't really matter. I definitely don't pretend to be morally outraged by others because I'm inherently superior. That ground is well and truly covered.

Don't like what I post - put me on ignore. I could care less.

That would be 'thoroughly brilliant'.
Cool. Can't be bothered putting you on 'ignore', though. You're truly one of the most entertaining posters here.

And, by the way, I think you mean you 'couldn't care less'.

Cheers.

When your best moment following the Cats is supposedly the departure of a player who averaged over two goals a game for the club in more than 100 games in the hoops, I think that's definitely in the category of 'irrational hatred'.

Each to their own.

Some people can’t take a little joke.

Good to know.

Shame.

Worst moment as a cats fan would be the final in I think 2016 abasing the tigers when they beat us at the G.
For the first time in my life I had a bad case of anxiety, shaking and all.
Tigers up by about 2 goals and I had to leave, never left a footy game in my life to that point.
Abused and heckled as I leave the top of the Southern stand.
Won’t ever forget the feeling and thankfully I haven’t had another episode since, to that degree anyway

Worst moment as a cats fan would be the final in I think 2016 abasing the tigers when they beat us at the G.
For the first time in my life I had a bad case of anxiety, shaking and all.
Tigers up by about 2 goals and I had to leave, never left a footy game in my life to that point.
Abused and heckled as I leave the top of the Southern stand.
Won’t ever forget the feeling and thankfully I haven’t had another episode since, to that degree anyway
2017 it was. I wasn't there, but what you describe is exactly how I felt in 2010 at that PF against the pies, except for the bit about being down by about 2 goals.

Lowest moments for me as a cats supporter would be :
  • 1995 GF loss. Was the final straw. To find out later Carlton broke their salary cap to get there still gets under my skin.
  • 2008 GF loss. Enough said.
  • Lil Gaz leaving
  • Williams, Bolton & Toohey leaving.
  • Nick Davis

One from left field:
A practice match in 1999 when Colbert (just appointed captain) and Woolnough (young gun) did their ACL's within minutes of each other.
All hope for the new season (and to be honest there wasn't a great deal of it), was snuffed out.
There were issues within the playing group and with the coach (Ayres), and with no strong leaders around, the changeroom became divided and as the season went on, a really toxic environment. Throw in the fact the club was skint and things weren't great at all.
Colbert, Barnes, Mansfield and a few others left. Ayers left. Things looked dire.
Thank God for Costa, Cook & Wells. All 3 had critical decisions to make at season's end, and thankfully all 3 nailed them.

2017 it was. I wasn't there, but what you describe is exactly how I felt in 2010 at that PF against the pies, except for the bit about being down by about 2 goals.

I was at both. Game was over earlier in the 2010 Prelim (although we lost by more against Richmond), but the crowd noise at the Richmond game was something else. Like the top was lifted off a bottle or something.

• 1995 GF loss. Was the final straw. To find out later Carlton broke their salary cap to get there still gets under my skin.
  • Lil Gaz leaving
  • Nick Davis

One from left field:
A practice match in 1999 when Colbert (just appointed captain) and Woolnough (young gun) did their ACL's within minutes of each other.
All hope for the new season (and to be honest there wasn't a great deal of it), was snuffed out.
There were issues within the playing group and with the coach (Ayres), and with no strong leaders around, the changeroom became divided and as the season went on, a really toxic environment. Throw in the fact the club was skint and things weren't great at all.
Colbert, Barnes, Mansfield and a few others left. Ayers left. Things looked dire.
Thank God for Costa, Cook & Wells. All 3 had critical decisions to make at season's end, and thankfully all 3 nailed them.

Good list. Can't argue with any of those. I'd add one more.

The 2004 home and away match against Carlton at Princes Park. It was just so deflating, after making the pre-season Grand final, it felt like we'd somehow gone backwards again.

The 2004 home and away match against Carlton at Princes Park. It was just so deflating, after making the pre-season Grand final, it felt like we'd somehow gone backwards again.

Turned out to be a good season (at least relatively speaking compared to the past 3) but started out poorly. Got beaten in the pre-season GF by the Saints, then Chappy came out and said "well, we think we're better than them"... then got flogged by 10 goals by said team. Then lost to a bog average Blues side the week after (remember Walls saying "I'm going to go buy a Cats membership because of the leadership Harley's showing today").

It's kind of funny that the calls from Chapman and Walls were so prophetic, though at the time it still looked like we were very much the 2003 team - a bunch of green players with older veterans and the best days behind them.

• Lil Gaz leaving
  • Nick Davis

One from left field:

The late 90’s early 00’s were a rough time. The playing group dividing and the AFL trying to ship us out of K Park, I like to think my donation during the stand up and fight period did some sort of work for the club.

Thank Christ those days are past us but every club has there purple patches and we may be going head on to one soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team was exceptional at Princes Park anyways.

Hated that ground, we never did well there. At the time I would much rather go to the G or Etihad.

No team was exceptional at Princes Park anyways.

Hated that ground, we never did well there. At the time I would much rather go to the G or Etihad.

It was weird for me. Our record there sucked (1997 and 1999 were the only times I remember beating Carlton there), but I actually loved the ground itself. You were so close to the action.

See post #245 above. And people will have to make their own judgements about whether anyone is 'bothered' by what is posted by others on here. Given none of us is doing anything other than typing characters on a keyboard, I would have thought it's highly presumptuous to suggest that we can accurately read the mood of others at all as they post.

Still, how utterly ironic that you're bothered enough to respond to me supposedly being bothered by what I consider to be irrational and plainly silly posting by someone else entirely. A thoroughly brilliant way for you to underline your propensity for the very behaviour you're come to 'call out' here.
Should I delete #245?

It was weird for me. Our record there sucked (1997 and 1999 were the only times I remember beating Carlton there), but I actually loved the ground itself. You were so close to the action.

“Weird“ is the word.

Just had some awful experiences there that’s all.

For sure. Were you there against Hawthorn in 1986? That was a down day for sure.

Unfortunately yes.

2001 vs Carlton “Milburn Silvagni”
2004 vs Carlton “Deflated”
1986 vs Hawks “Down Day”
2000 vs Carlton we lost by 10 pts.

Just a few to name.

Unfortunately yes.

2001 vs Carlton “Milburn Silvagni”
2004 vs Carlton “Deflated”
1986 vs Hawks “Down Day”
2000 vs Carlton we lost by 10 pts.

Just a few to name.
The bottom of those 4 was a ripper game. We were 10pts up in the last quarter I think. The lead changed multiple times.

The bottom of those 4 was a ripper game. We were 10pts up in the last quarter I think. The lead changed multiple times.

Yes it was a beauty, I left shattered though. I sat amongst Carlton supporters in the Heroes Stand and copped it for being too loud and passionate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back