domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I watched my first live game in 1966. This is maddeningly tough but a good way to pass some time as we look toward Friday night and another season filled with hope and excitement.

I'm sure I've left out a few legends as I simply did this in ten minutes off the top of my head.

Scott Burns Gary Pert James Clement

Brayden Maynard Darcy Moore Jeremy Howe

John Greening Scott Pendlebury Darren Millane

Peter Daicos Anthony Rocca Gavin Brown

W Richardson Peter McKenna James Elliott

Len Thompson
Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan

Interchange: Peter Moore, Steele Sidebottom, Jordan DeGoey, Mick McGuane

Nick Daicos would probably be in if I selected this team in 2025.

Now who have I forgotten or overlooked that should be in?

I watched my first live game in 1966. This is maddeningly tough but a good way to pass some time as we look toward Friday night and another season filled with hope and excitement.

I'm sure I've left out a few legends as I simply did this in ten minutes off the top of my head.

Len Thompson
Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan

Fit Phil Carman in there and you have the perfect side.
Sorry Jamie Elliott.

Tricky because I’d have Billy Picken ahead of Darcy Moore if it was his era but in today’s game I’d have Moore.
Would definitely have fabulous Phil in there somewhere despite costing us the flag in ‘77.

Strong side, as much as he was maligned by frankly everyone I’d swap Steele for Leon Davis. Dual AA could play forward or back and gives the side something special.

Great side though, my memory of the team goes back to the mid 70’s. I grew up with Billy, Ronny Wearmouth, Andrew Ireland, Kink, Ray Shaw etc. A bit like todays side, some great players but always a good team, never dominated but had enough star players to make us competitive.

Len Thompson
Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan

I've been watching regularly since 1992. The one I would definitely swap is to bring in Travis Cloke for Pebbles.

I think would swap Picken for Moore. Shane Morwood for Howe. Didak takes Elliots place. Gavin Brown to wing in place of Millane. Millanes to bench and Carmen to HFF. Tuddy on bench for Jordy. Tony Shaw on bench for McGuane. Steele out also, Millane has his spot. Nick Maxwell for Maynard. Cloke for Pebbles

Burns Pert Clement
Maxwell Picken Moorwood
Greening Pendles Brown
Daicos Cloke Carmen
W Richardson McKenna Didak

Thompson Buckley Swan

Moore Millane Tuddy T Shaw

His inability to kick goals from dead in front is too big a flaw to overlook. Rocca for me.
I think you’ve got a selective memory there. Rocca wasn’t that great close to goal either (better than Cloke I’ll pay though). Cloke was the best contested mark in the league for a good 6-7 years though and I think that pushes him well ahead. Probably room for Rocca on the bench or in a pocket.

Paul Williams was a gun. Who would you drop for him?
Yup
Hard task. I was hoping others would pick that up.

I don’t really remember seeing Wayne Richardson play.
So there’s a question mark there.
He could possibly take Sidebottom spot as he was faster and was damaging more regularly in my opinion.
Could play wing and centre.

A player I really was said to see move on.

Yup

He could possibly take Sidebottom spot as he was faster and was damaging more regularly in my opinion.

Wayne was a gun and his brother Max almost as good.
I'd have Wayne easily ahead of Sidebottom.

Len Thompson
Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan

Hard to argue against anybody in that side. You could have included many others like T Cloke, Crosisca, Wright, Max Richardson, Price, Carman, Davis, Potter, Tony and Ray Shaw, Heater and still not been wrong.

Last edited:
Hard to argue against anybody in that side. You could have included many others like T Cloke, Crosisca, Wright, Max Richardson, Price, Carman, Davis, Potter, Tony and Ray Shaw, Heater and still not been wrong.
Of the ones who should come in I think Tuddy stands out.He is a must pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done this before, but I always have to do 2 teams, One that I'd love to watch and one that I'd pick against anybody else to play for my life.

Love to see play

Davis, Pert, Clement

Shaw, Moore, Morwood

Wright, Buckley, Greening

Williams, Cloke, Carman

Daicos, A.Rocca, Elliott

Moore, McGuane, W. Richardson

Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, G. Shepherd.

Emerg: Dunne

Coach: Bob Rose

Play for my life

Burns, Pert, Clement

Shaw, Picken, Crosisca

Brown, Williams, Millane

Tuddenham, Cloke, Greening

Daicos, A. Rocca, S. Russell

Moore, McGuane, Rose

Thomas, W.Richardson, Swan, Wright

Emer: Pendlebury, Williams, Shepherd, Starcevic

Coach: Leigh Matthews

Play for my life

Burns, Pert, Clement

Shaw, Picken, Crosisca

Brown, Williams, Millane

Tuddenham, Cloke, Greening

Daicos, A. Rocca, S. Russell

Moore, McGuane, Rose

Thomas, W.Richardson, Swan, Wright

Emer: Pendlebury, Williams, Shepherd, Starcevic

Coach: Leigh Matthews

Can't argue too much, but if aliens came to earth tomorrow in like a Space Jam type of way where we had to play them in a game of footy for the fate of the planet and humanity and we could select any player from any period in time.... I've got Pendles as captain on the ball.

Len Thompson
Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan

These things are nearly impossible to do, not least because of changing ways in which footy is played.

But I'm a Shaw family nut, and I dont think you can leave out the 1990 premiership captain. He was not a superstar but he had what we needed when we needed it most.

P.S I saw my first live game at Vic Park in 1968, so you beat me by two years.

Last edited:
Can't argue too much, but if aliens came to earth tomorrow in like a Space Jam type of way where we had to play them in a game of footy for the fate of the planet and humanity and we could select any player from any period in time.... I've got Pendles as captain on the ball.

Ok Ned, just tells me you never saw Bobby play!

Ok Ned, just tells me you never saw Bobby play!

I didn't see Bobby play.

But given he hasn't been around for almost 20 years we might not burden him with the captaincy given how he has to deal with all the rules changes, reincarnation and the presence of space monsters.

Len Thompson
Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan

The club's current GM is stiff to miss, he was scary good.

Good to see Clement make your side, he is too often overlooked IMO, when people compile lists of their best Pie team.

Yup

Agreed on Willo > Sidebum. Faster and a better kick.

I don't think anyone could dispute the above but he is less "Collingwood" than Steele so less likely to make people's best team.

Tricky because I’d have Billy Picken ahead of Darcy Moore if it was his era but in today’s game I’d have Moore.
Would definitely have fabulous Phil in there somewhere despite costing us the flag in ‘77.

Strong side, as much as he was maligned by frankly everyone I’d swap Steele for Leon Davis. Dual AA could play forward or back and gives the side something special.

Great side though, my memory of the team goes back to the mid 70’s. I grew up with Billy, Ronny Wearmouth, Andrew Ireland, Kink, Ray Shaw etc. A bit like todays side, some great players but always a good team, never dominated but had enough star players to make us competitive.
Billy was sensational but a very flawed footballer. He was a poor kick and I know it was a different era but he did some ridiculous things when the heat was on in games.
Tumble punts when under zero pressure,flying for speccies deep in defence. Moore is bigger, quicker and more intelligent on the footy field.

Weamouth was very underrated. He was a heart and soul player with enormous courage and used to set the crowd alight with his bouncing runs and mop of hair streaming behind him. I loved Ronny.

These things are nearly impossible to do, not least because of changing ways in which footy is played.

But I'm a Shaw family nut, and I dont think you can leave out the 1990 premiership captain. He was not a superstar but he had what we needed when we needed it most.

P.S I saw my first live game at Vic Park in 1968, so you beat me by two years.
Love the little skipper but I don't think he replaces Bucks, Swan or Pendles in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back