Best player per team in AFL era (1990-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interested to see what people think on this one. All subjective of course. My list:
Oh man, this is difficult.

Pav, Carey, Ablett (Suns), Richo and Harvey pick themselves for mine.

Agree with Williams, Buckley, Hird, Ablett (Snr) and Stynes - but not by much. I'll have a crack at the rest:

Adelaide - D Jarman
Brisbane/Fitzroy - S Black
GWS - J Kelly
Hawthorn - L Franklin
Port Adelaide - W Tredrea
Sydney - P Kelly
Western Bulldogs - S West
West Coast - D Cox

Be interested to see what people think on this one. All subjective of course. My list:

Adelaide - Andrew McLeod
Brisbane/Fitzroy - Michael Voss
Carlton - Greg Williams
Collingwood - Nathan Buckley
Essendon - James Hird
Fremantle - Matthew Pavlich
Geelong - Gary Ablett Snr
Gold Coast - Gary Ablett Jnr
GWS - Jeremy Cameron
Hawthorn - Sam Mitchell
Melbourne - Jim Stynes
North Melbourne - Wayne Carey
Port Adelaide - Gavin Wanganeen
Richmond - Matthew Richardson
St Kilda - Robert Harvey
Sydney - Lance Franklin
Western Bulldogs - Chris Grant
West Coast - Ben Cousins

Absolutely spot on with all of them, except for West Coast, Hawthorn, Sydney and GWS. Would have Goodes or Lockett at Sydney, Buddy at Hawthorn, just over Mitchell, Judd/Cox over Cousins at West Coast and either Davis or Ward over Cameron at GWS (GWS is tough as they don't have any generational players just yet)

Would you argue for him as a better player than Mitchell?

Really tough. Dunstall the best forward I've seen at Hawthorn and Mitchell the best mid. I've always maintained that Dunstall was the best player I've seen outside of Carey so in an all time Hawthorn list I would have..1. Matthews, 2. Dunstall, 3. Mitchell. However, given the period in question only contains half of Dunstall's career (and all of Mitchell's), I'm happy to pick Mitchell #1.

Absolutely spot on with all of them, except for West Coast, Hawthorn, Sydney and GWS. Would have Goodes or Lockett at Sydney, Buddy at Hawthorn, just over Mitchell, Judd/Cox over Cousins at West Coast and either Davis or Ward over Cameron at GWS (GWS is tough as they don't have any generational players just yet)
I went Goodes at Sydney, Cox at WC, Ward at GWS.

Not sure why everyone is saying Buddy is it for Hawthorn. Not a wrong choice per se as he is obviously an all time great but I would struggle to have him top 3 for Hawthorn.

I'd have Mitchell, Dunstall and Hodge before him personally.

90's only Dunstall vs Hawthorn Franklin is a good debate though.

Dunstall v Franklin
160 odd games v 189
777 goals v 580
2 B&F's v 1
2 AA's v 4
1 Coleman v 2

Dunstall with a fair few more goals (higher tallies in his era though) and an extra B&F but Franklin with an extra Coleman and 2 AA's (though Dunstall's competition in Lockett and Ablett Snr made AA's and Colemans much harder to win). Dunstall was also an MVP winner and captain for 4 years in this period.

For mine, 90's only Dunstall shades Hawthorn Franklin (though maybe its hard to forget Dunstall entererd the 90's off back to back flags, back t back 130+ goal seasons, back to back Colemans and back to back B&F's).

Not sure why everyone is saying Buddy is it for Hawthorn. Not a wrong choice per se as he is obviously an all time great but I would struggle to have him top 3 for Hawthorn.

I'd have Mitchell, Dunstall and Hodge before him personally.

90's only Dunstall vs Hawthorn Franklin is a good debate though.

Dunstall v Franklin
160 odd games v 189
777 goals v 580
2 B&F's v 1
2 AA's v 4
1 Coleman v 2

Dunstall with a fair few more goals (higher tallies in his era though) and an extra B&F but Franklin with an extra Coleman and 2 AA's (though Dunstall's competition in Lockett and Ablett Snr made AA's and Colemans much harder to win). Dunstall was also an MVP winner and captain for 4 years in this period.

For mine, 90's only Dunstall shades Hawthorn Franklin (though maybe its hard to forget Dunstall entererd the 90's off back to back flags, back t back 130+ goal seasons, back to back Colemans and back to back B&F's).
Dunstall has buddy covered.

1. Mitchell
2. Dunstall
3. Hodge
4. Buddy
5. Burgoyne

Something like that

Dunstall has buddy covered.

1. Mitchell
2. Dunstall
3. Hodge
4. Buddy
5. Burgoyne

Something like that

Looks good to me (although I would probably put Crawford in at 5 ahead of 'the rest' including Burgoyne).

What about your club?

1. Stynes
2. Neitz
3. Lyon

with Oliver and Gawn to push in by the time their done?

Looks good to me (although I would probably put Crawford in at 5 ahead of 'the rest' including Burgoyne).

What about your club?

1. Stynes
2. Neitz
3. Lyon

with Oliver and Gawn to push in by the time their done?
Oh I forgot Crawford! Yes over Burgoyne.

1. Stynes
2. Neitz
3. Jones
4. T Viney
5. Lyon

West Coast has to be C Judd

Although I can see how Carlton is Williams and Eagles could be is Matera/Cousins, its peculiar leaving Judd off.. and wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide - Roo
Brisbane - Voss
Carlton - Williams
Collingwood - Bucks
Essendon - Hird
Fremantle - Pavlich
Geelong - Ablett Snr
GC - Ablett
GWS - Cameron
Hawthorn - Buddy just ahead of Hodge and Mitchell (toughest one)
Melbourne - Stynes
North - The King
Port - Wanganeen
Richmond - Richardson
St Kilda - Reiwoldt
Sydney - Goodes
West Coast - Cousins
WB - Grant

I'm surprised The Ox is being left out by dees fans, less so by still surprised about Lyon aswell.

Ox is the best talent of the AFL era and Gas was a 3xaa in the best era ever of forwards
Was going to go the Ox over Gaz but wasn’t sure if games missed counted against him or not. But on pure ability, the musk oxen gets in my top 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back