BF ages and years of support

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just turned 18 and I have been a Collingwood fan my since I was born. I am young enough that I don't remember the bad times of the 90's

and the 70's and the 80's :(

The chant on that night will stay with me forever.
It was just the perfect night for it, the chant shut out all other sound. It was spooky

Another game where we played similar footy to that night but only for the last quarter was the Adelaide game.
We kicked 11 goals in the last quarter. It was the game where Taz grabbed his jumper and showed the crowd.
That quarter was as good as I have ever seen by a Collingwood side

Can't argue about the Adelaide game. I was at that match too, and IIRC quite a few Pies fans left at 3/4 time in disgust at how we were playing. Big mistake!

Can't argue about the Adelaide game. I was at that match too, and IIRC quite a few Pies fans left at 3/4 time in disgust at how we were playing. Big mistake!

Yeah that game was amazing. The euphoria of the comeback in the fourth quarter is not something I'd expect to experience again for a while... At least not until October this year I suppose.

I remember this game.

I went out at half time and was thinking of leaving. Decides to stay since it would be the last time we would have watched the boys play for another 5 months.

Game was crazy. I was 15 at the time and got into an argument with 2 blokes in MCC. I remember Leon Davis had the ball about 20-30m out from goal, no one minding him. I had already gotten out of my seat to celebrate while Leon ran in and kicked it. The 2 blokes behind me, who were not Collingwood supporters, just sat there and yelled at me for getting out of my seat and blocking the game. I told them to shut up and watch it from the screen if they couldn't see lol

Also, read Heritiers book last night, he mentioned that he had a dream the night before of marking it 50m out. He figured it was too far for him but his deceased step dad appeared and told him that he could do it. He kicked the goal.

Now I don't particularly remember this moment, but apparently in the third. Heritier had marked it 55m out. Same though occurred that it was too far until he remembered the dream. He kicked the goal and apparently it was a major momentum switch.

Just on the memories for ye olde supporters, how gobsmacked was everyone watching the 2010 Prelim Final against Geelong. I just couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It made the whole dream of a GF win believable.

Spot on Spicey, this is when the Magpie Army was back, our club was back!

Got to 04.35 & 08.50 to see what I mean.;)

$100?!! That's outrageous just for one game!

Its $100 ish for the whole season, or you can pay monthly, or even just buy a single round IIRC

Born just months after our 1958 flag was won which makes me a very young 54. I have been a supporter since I knew anything at all about footy and suffered the pain of watching all of those near misses between 59 and 89. You would think that would make me the ultimate pessimist but every year I saddle up with high expectations and dreams of seeing the flag returned to its only true home at magpieland. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Spicey, this is when the Magpie Army was back, our club was back!

Got to 04.35 & 08.50 to see what I mean.;)
That was such a fanastic night. I've never been so calm in the knowledge that we had the game in the bag as that night. As soon as Leroy kicked that goal, our 4th, I said to my two girls that they should soak it all in because we were going to another grand final. It was that night that I let myself beleive that we were going to be premiers again. I must have trained them well, because quite often I'll catch my youngest daughter watching that game. I think she's probably see it more than the GF replay.

The other memorable one for us was the Adelaide final at the MCG when John Anthony kicked the winning goal. The atmosphere that night was incredible.

Lived in Sydney and followed league team Magpies, until thrown out of comp.
Switched to the real game in 1990, and what a year.
I now live on the Gold Coast and up here it's basically all about the suns, and Lions in the papers.
We get their games on tv as priority over other games., tonight it's suns vs saints, Not Cats vs Roos
Up here the footy show in on at midnight & don't even get the Sunday show, so starved of conversation and news.

Started really following them in 1996. When I was 8.
Remember the days of getting my flag, getting the radio and sitting outside and listening to the matches - every week.
God I was dedicated from such a young age.

I'm 33 and have been Collingwood since day dot as ours was a Collingwood houshold. I can't remember ever wanting to switch teams unlike a lot of the kids in primary school who deserted their family's teams for the Hawks in the 80's. I had it bad in those early years of primary school until 1990 came along, after that win nobody could bag my team. The 90's went on to become very forgettable but at least I could argue with my high school mates that Buckley was better than any of their teams players. I don't like thinking about 02/03.
As far as games go I loved rd 9 2008. Went to the Saints game the week prior and we got over the line but what we did to Geelong that night was sublime. We could do no wrong it seemed. It was at the G but in my memory it feels like the docklands... Strange.
It's the same in my household now with my boy who's just turned 2. I doubt he knows what he's watching or why dads screaming at the tv but he joins in happily and mimics the players highs fives after goals. I just know it'll be in his blood too.

Wow, over 5 years since last poster on this one. I wonder how many are still around.

Anyway, here goes.
Age..66
Dad.. Saints
Mum..Footscray (although she was Italian so probably Footascray)
Me..Pies lifelong.
4 brothers...Pies lifelong
1 son..Pies
2 daughters..Pies
2 grand daughters..Pies
2 grand sons..TBD.. we live in WA so have a bit of an uphill struggle with son-in-law being a stinking eagle. But I reckon i'll
get at least one of them.
Fave moments 1990 GF 2010 2nd GF 1964 Gabbo's run!!!
I was only 5 in 1958 but remember dad telling me Pies won.
Fave players in no order..Gabbo, Thommo, McKenna, Greening, Carmen, Daicos, Pants, Dids, Bucks, Maynard and Sav.

32 and Pies my whole life.

Just snuck in for the 90 flag. So have seen 2 Collingwood premierships in my life. Although only 4 in 1990. I do have memories of the house being decorated after the win!

Dad is Geelong
Mum was Pies
Brother is Pies

Im a 44 year old Pies fan, so l have been fortunate to see both the 1990 and 2010 GF wins. Unfortunately also seen the disappointment of 2002 and '03!
My son is now 12, has been a Collingwood member since the day he first came into this world. Firstly as a baby magpie member, now a junior member.
He didn't have a say in which club he supported as a baby, but my fear was he may choose another club as he got older. Happy to report, he loves the Pies, and wouldn't have it any other way.
He was only 3 when we completed the ultimate in 2010, so unfortunately he doesn't have those memories. He has watched it on replay, so he has seen us win a flag, in someway.
We went to the GF in 2018, and up until the last couple of minutes l was thinking, l am going to see the Pies win a flag with my son, now all grown up how fantastic is this going to be, but as we know, it wasn't to be. We did have each other though to console and share our disappointment.
Even though we didn't win in 2018, just being there with my son was a brilliant day. We both know that another premiership for the Pies is just around the corner, and we will get to celebrate that as father and son soon!!....Go Pies

Last edited:
68 born Ararat now live Sydney supporter all my life went last 3 grandfinals used play kick to kick through electricity lines with Barry Price

Wow, over 5 years since last poster on this one. I wonder how many are still around.

Anyway, here goes.
Age..66
Dad.. Saints
Mum..Footscray (although she was Italian so probably Footascray)
Me..Pies lifelong.
4 brothers...Pies lifelong
1 son..Pies
2 daughters..Pies
2 grand daughters..Pies
2 grand sons..TBD.. we live in WA so have a bit of an uphill struggle with son-in-law being a stinking eagle. But I reckon i'll
get at least one of them.
Fave moments 1990 GF 2010 2nd GF 1964 Gabbo's run!!!
I was only 5 in 1958 but remember dad telling me Pies won.
Fave players in no order..Gabbo, Thommo, McKenna, Greening, Carmen, Daicos, Pants, Dids, Bucks, Maynard and Sav.
Respect to you and all the other oldies, Gabbo. I am also 66 and also saw Gabbo’s Run — one of the most remarkable, heart-stopping occurrences in the history of the game, I would think. Neil Crompton ruined that day for us (sheer arse, of course), but we have lived to have the last laugh by continuing to support this great club for another 50-plus years.

23 year old. Turning 24 on Christmas.
Migrated to Australia in 2007 (I was 12).
My GF record : 1 - 1 - 2.
4 Grandfinals in 13 years.

Fav players : Swanny, Young Beams, Pendles, Grundy, Schaz & De Goey. Soft spot growing for Phil Inn.

Fav memory : 2018 Prelim. Arguably my favourite memory of all time.
Great night.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back