BF ages and years of support

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't believe we have Magpie Girl.

Was born many moons ago into a non footy family and town ( Canberra)

Despite this, I remember being about 3 years old, and when the footy came onto the News, I'd jump up and down on the couch when they said Collingwood had won on the weekend. Perhaps more vividly, I remember the tellings off I used to get for jumping on the said couch :)

Don't know why it was Collingwood I loved so much, I think maybe the name just appealed to a little kid. Maybe because it sounded like Golliwogg, which in those days was a black character with big white eyes and a clown like face, who were teddy bear alternatives ( in those non PC days). Never had a Golly btw.

Anyhow, whatever the reason, I've loved Collingwood ever since.

Growing up as a kid through the seventies was just heartbreaking.

Destiny seemed like it would conspire against us in every conceivable way - I'd resigned myself after so many heartbreaks, that it would never ever happen.

I was at home all by myself ( sent the family away) to sit down and watch 1990, barely daring to dream that we were a chance. I wanted to grieve in peace and privacy. Plus I thought I'd look stupid, as a grown man with two toddlers, trying to influence the plays writhing around on my own couch :)

With just two minutes to go and ahead by 7-8 goals or whatever, I still couldn't believe we'd actually possibly get there, such was the effect of the multiple despairs throughout my footy life. It probably took till the last thirty seconds before I'd let myself believe we were a chance to win a premiership.

When the siren sounded, I completely broke down, couldn't stop the tears, I just couldn't believe that anything so deserving to the team that I and so many other passionate supporters had loved all their life had finally got there. Every time the tears cleared enough to re focus on the screen showing delirious supporters faces or the players faces, or replaying those thoughts in my mind, I'd totally dissolve again. And so it went till the family got home an hour later! And really, it still happens even now when I read the accounts of other folk here of a similar vintage, discussing their inner feelings about how they felt that day, and also after 2010, and how they were equally moved by it all.

I knew I would die a happy man after that day way back in 1990 :)

Just on the memories for ye olde supporters, how gobsmacked was everyone watching the 2010 Prelim Final against Geelong. I just couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It made the whole dream of a GF win believable.

Thanks for posting that Old Spice!

only 0:50 seconds in, I just jumped from my seat, realised this was 4 years ago but now really excited to experience the same excitement I get from every season!

Just on the memories for ye olde supporters, how gobsmacked was everyone watching the 2010 Prelim Final against Geelong. I just couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It made the whole dream of a GF win believable.

It was stunning Spicey considering how dominant Geelong had been over us (and the footy world in general). We simply tore them apart.

Some people talk as if 2010 was a stand out year for our club when in fact we were considered (rightly up until the PF) to be a contender with a chance of making the GF but not widely given a strong chance against the juggernaut that had been until that moment Geelong.

It really wasn't until that PF victory that ' the press ' gelled completely and the whole footy world woke up and started taking a little notice.

StKilda had used a slightly less fanatic form of the press for a while but here we had 'The Press' in all its full blown glory, stifling opponents creativity and imposing our will on the game.

People since have wondered why we haven't been able to consistantly reproduce it.

Well it's pretty simple really. Firstly we have had the most incredible run of injuries to key personnel. Secondly we have had a tantrum throwing coach derailing another finals campaign. Thirdly we have had key assistant coaches poached or leave.

And finally a tactic such as a full blown press only works if three factors can be sustained.

1. Manic desperation
2. Stability of the playing group
3. No availble countermeasure

None of the above factors have obtained since 2010, sadly the Malthouse tragics are willfully blinded to such disturbing truths intruding on their devotions :rolleyes:

With the Collingwood chant, was that game the catalyst for it? Or has it been happening long before that? Because I know we do it now most games, but I feel like it didn't happen until after we won that 2010 premiership.

With the Collingwood chant, was that game the catalyst for it? Or has it been happening long before that? Because I know we do it now most games, but I feel like it didn't happen until after we won that 2010 premiership.
Yes it was that game...3rd Qtr I think? I was there...great.
Bruce made the comment "I think a big Football club just got a little bit bigger".

42, supporter since I was 10 or 11

Parents are european and so soccer was the big thing in our household. I initially followed North only cause l liked the look of Malcolm Blight on a footy card l got.

I'll never forget the day l became a Collingwood supporter. We were visiting friends of Mum & Dad who had a son a couple of years older than me. I had a bit of a crush on him on you see. Well, we were playing in his room and he asked who l went for, l said North. His exact words were "Oh, they're s**t, you should go for Collingwood" and instantly I said "OK".

Didn't really follow footy until late teens but turned in a one eyed mad pie supporter when l got with my husband (he bleeds black and white). Eldest son switched to Lions after the two losing GF's (jumped on the winning bandwagon). He was only 5. We refused to buy him anything Lions! Got him back on board in 2006. Youngest switched to Geelong when he was around 5 too, only cause he loves anything feline, lol. Again, refused to buy or have anything Geelong in the house. One day when he again asked for something cats, l told him no like always but said that he'll get all the merchandise he wants if he goes for Collingwood again. Needless to say, he is.

So we're one big black & white household, youngest even named one of our pet cats Fasolo, lol.

So that's my little supporter history, l love sharing it, thanks for reading :)

There's no room for sentiment with kids. My ex-bro in law is a Dogs supporter & my youngest thought she was a Bulldog. Thought.

Was never going to happen.

The merch is underrated. She's been drinking water from the lame Magpie bottle for a few weeks now and a few night renditions of the song doesn't go astray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OS, the 2010 PF was the best football I have ever seen us play. Amazing night. Freezing cold, 80k Pies fans out of 95k in attendance, and the chanting. Eerie, other-wordly, a Collingwood experience like no other.

That was the first time I heard the chant, like that, in over 40 years of Pies games.

That was the first time I heard the chant, like that, in over 40 years of Pies games.

Wow. Amazing, isn't it? Makes that whole game/year even more special.

Yeah FB that chant was something special I got goosebumps. It may be hindsight but you just knew something was brewing when that broke out. Even on grand final day the chant drowned out the St kilda theme played on the saxophone.

I'm 21 and was born into a Collingwood supporting family (on Dad's side, Mum is now an adopted supporter), but I guess I was never really properly into AFL until I was about 15. I watched the Grannies and ANZAC day games but that was about it... then suddenly when I was 15 it clicked and I've been a rabid supporter since. My first year as a member was 2010 :D

OS, the 2010 PF was the best football I have ever seen us play. Amazing night. Freezing cold, 80k Pies fans out of 95k in attendance, and the chanting. Eerie, other-wordly, a Collingwood experience like no other.
The chant on that night will stay with me forever.
It was just the perfect night for it, the chant shut out all other sound. It was spooky

Another game where we played similar footy to that night but only for the last quarter was the Adelaide game.
We kicked 11 goals in the last quarter. It was the game where Taz grabbed his jumper and showed the crowd.
That quarter was as good as I have ever seen by a Collingwood side

It had been tried for a couple of years earlier, but had not taken off like it did on that night
Do you remember the "waving of the red flag" to get everyone going in unison in about 2008?

Have supported Collingwood since the age of five - when I got my first footy and jumper.

Was kicking my ball, in the lane up against the brick side wall of my Nan's rowhouse, in Northcote in '53, when the entire neighbourhood was euphoric with joy from beating Geelong in the GF.

I'm now 66 years old and living in the States.

It had been tried for a couple of years earlier, but had not taken off like it did on that night
Do you remember the "waving of the red flag" to get everyone going in unison in about 2008?

Nope. What game was it against, do you remember?

Nope. What game was it against, do you remember?
It was tried for a few games.
Someone in the Cheer squad would stand up and wave a big red flag, it was the signal to being the chant

The Collingwood chant was actually a rip off of the Freo chant.
Members of the cheer squad got the idea after traveling over to Freo and hearing them

It was tried for a few games.
Someone in the Cheer squad would stand up and wave a big red flag, it was the signal to being the chant

The Collingwood chant was actually a rip off of the Freo chant.
Members of the cheer squad got the idea after traveling over to Freo and hearing them
I like the idea that it is cheer squad instigated (might be now but I don't know). I'd like to see it implemented when the boys are maybe 20 points down in the third quarter, we've lost momentum.

Could be an absolute game changer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back