Biased/incompetent media coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought I would write to fox sports about Eddie.
what is the chance of a response?

Hi,

I am a subscriber and an AFL member and I was disappointed by the pathetic display from Eddie McGuire during Saturday’s game.

You will be well aware of all the comments on social media so my views are not isolated.

The AFL is meant to be a national competition and all we ask is for a balanced call of the game.

Eddie’s call was embarrassing and was a poor reflection on your business.
Surely the expectation of people representing your business is to show a level of professionalism and not a completely one sided view of the game.

I would appreciate a response to my email.

thanks.

Not sure if you remember the early years - around 1987-1990 the commentators consistently got players names wrong. They didn't really care.

No I remember - but back then it WAS the VFL, you’d expect nothing less. Alas, even back in 2002 it was firmly mascarading as a national comp...it’s a shame 16 years later we are putting up with the same crap.

On the bright side, I don’t recall them ever giving Kekovich another run...

All Eagles games on Fox should be called by Gerard Healy. I actually don't mind Dwayne Russell as long as someone else picks up the slack during quiet periods. He's good at going OTT in the big moments but when there's nothing happening he just gets a case of the Derms and dribbles s**t. But yeah Gerard, Huddo and maybe bring back Drew Banfield or Peter Wilson for the LOOOLs.

As far as Phillips vs WC, we're talking about a dude who is 27 this year and has played about 30 games. His best isn't particularly great, but I thought he did a good job preventing Naitanui from having an influence. The alternative from their perspective is he does just about as much and Naitanui gets 50 hitouts and dominates.

Rewatching the game, dead set Eddie should have been gagged and dragged out of the box. The blatant, one eyed barracking is incredibly unprofessional for a billion dollar industry. You'd swear he was commentating a Carlton training session.

Ed has got away with being a s**t caller of footy for a long time because people focused too much on his 'Collingwood bias'.

He is insufferable calling Pies games but then he's insufferable calling all games. For some reason we always get him for WC vs Carlton games in Melbourne. My ears are still burning from 'MENZEL!' from about 5 years ago. Coincidentally the only good quarter of footy Troy Menzel ever played.

There was a moment yesterday when dermie said something positive about us and Ed says "you've turned". Another passage of play where the ball was locked in and not going anywhere and Ed said "great" 4 times and "magnificent" once referring to Phillips doing nothing much at all.

That passage of play at end of 3rd quarter where Yeo took that cracker of a mark and wheeled around to find Lecca open. It was great play by Yeo and got not recognition at all. He had similar numbers to Cripps for the game yet we listen to 3 hours of them jerking off to how good Cripps is.

I pay good money to watch this on Foxtel and i don't think they have any right to broadcast such bias rubbish.

The worst was when we got away with a throw and he went on and on about and and then not 2 minutes later they got away with one similar and he's like "great umpiring, they've been good today, letting them play".

I think it was about that point that even Derm started calling him out on it.

Really hope the west coast eagles come out and publicly say it to the afl. They owe it to their members and supporters. Its bad enough we have to pay to get foxtell to be able to watch our games and even when we do we get dished up with that s**t from eddie.

Maybe it’s time to contact Foxtel about the commentators and let them know if it continues to be biased to any one team , then cancelling Foxtel is the only option left .
Sometimes hitting the sponsor in the pocket is the only thing that works .

Rewatching the game, dead set Eddie should have been gagged and dragged out of the box. The blatant, one eyed barracking is incredibly unprofessional for a billion dollar industry. You'd swear he was commentating a Carlton training session.
But blatant, one eyed barracking is the only sort of commentary that Eddie knows how to do ! Think how much worse it would have been had we been playing Collingwood !

But blatant, one eyed barracking is the only sort of commentary that Eddie knows how to do ! Think how much worse it would have been had we been playing Collingwood !
Probably would have been better actually, as he would have had to make an effort not to be biased. Whereas on Saturday it was a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really like watching the games when gerard healy is in the box. He's the only real one that has an interest in our club, he knows all our younsters well ect and he keeps the other vic biased commentators in the box honest.

We never seem to get much of Papalia. He's just about the best caller going around at the moment.

That Jason Bennett who did a few games for Seven during the Games is good too, hopefully he gets more of a run.

Common factor between them is that they actually call the game and don't try to make themselves the centre of attention.

I have actually enjoyed Dermott's commentary this year. I think he's become a better commentator over the years and my opinion of him has grown.

Eddie is the worst kind of commentator. He's ill equiped to give a balanced call on the game. Would be a good commentator maybe on a Melbourne radio station, but not a national broadcaster.

Can I propose a system to be known as the "Walls Differential" - that is how many positions we are away from last and how many positions Freo are out of the eight?

Currently we are sitting at (+17,+2) = +19

If the Walls Differential is > or = to +11 at the end of the H&A season walls gets flown over here, tarred and feathered and does a lap around Optus in front of 60,000 Eagles fans. Cartons of cabbages and various other spoiled foodstuffs to be handed out at the gates.

If it's < +11 walls gets to keep his credibility (or what's left of it)

I haven't heard so much talk about a free kick count as I did in the first half of that game.
Never gets displayed in the stats but did in the first half.
Carlton finish with 11 odd in the last and end up on 25 frees to WCE 16. Didn't hear much about the free kicks in the 2nd half.

The jubilation and outright excitement in Eddies shouting applause when Carlton hit the front was just typical of the whole games call.

What's the chance of this getting called out on 360, couch etc????
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back