News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to someone that is very closely involved with the club tonight, Crows and Saints had been chatting for 3 weeks to sort out a deal. Saints were very steadfast on their offer and absolutely would have never traded for Crouch, despite whatever speculation happens on here and in the media. Geelong were the only other club who came close to offering the 5 years, but they obviously have different priorities now. There were other interested parties, but most were around the same mark as our offer of 3 years.

Matt is very happy here and fully understands that playing with his brother was a luxury. As Brad said last night on 5AA, he will move back to Adelaide once his footy career is done.

Other little tidbits were that McAsey is very happy living in Adelaide and doesn’t have the lure to go home like some speculate. He is just a bloke that doesn’t show much emotion. Worrell is the one who is very close to his family and could be a risk to leave eventually.
Then Kelly's bluff was even stupider if they had all that information.

What's so attractive with Essendon other than the pay packet?
Didn't you hear, Sheeds is coming back so everything will be wonderful again.

He might like planes, their base is next to the airport....

Yeah I haven't got much else

Spoke to someone that is very closely involved with the club tonight, Crows and Saints had been chatting for 3 weeks to sort out a deal. Saints were very steadfast on their offer and absolutely would have never traded for Crouch, despite whatever speculation happens on here and in the media. Geelong were the only other club who came close to offering the 5 years, but they obviously have different priorities now. There were other interested parties, but most were around the same mark as our offer of 3 years.

Matt is very happy here and fully understands that playing with his brother was a luxury. As Brad said last night on 5AA, he will move back to Adelaide once his footy career is done.

Other little tidbits were that McAsey is very happy living in Adelaide and doesn’t have the lure to go home like some speculate. He is just a bloke that doesn’t show much emotion. Worrell is the one who is very close to his family and could be a risk to leave eventually.
I’d consider putting Worrell up for trade if a club was willing to offer something decent enough in next years draft. Just don’t need that sort of a sookie la la in a rebuild.

I’d consider putting Worrell up for trade if a club was willing to offer something decent enough in next years draft. Just don’t need that sort of a sookie la la in a rebuild.
If the unconfirmed rumours were on the money you think his management wouldn't have already clued up the Victorian clubs?

What is a player that was originally taken at pick 27 with no AFL games on his C,V. going to fetch in next year's draft?

And after the Crouch cluster**** on top of that?

Then Kelly's bluff was even stupider if they had all that information.
IF

you believe any of that....I don't.

This is the bloke that had the inside oil Dangerfield was staying remember?

IF

you believe any of that....I don't.

This is the bloke that had the inside oil Dangerfield was staying remember?
Don't need any inside word.

Just need to see how the Saints valued him.

Would you be happy if we gave a first round pick for a player on a contract worth band 3?

I am not defending the club over this at all. Kelly shot his mouth off for all to hear, and we over valued a player on our list the other 17 clubs rated a lot less than we do.

Kelly, and I guess by extension the rest of our club were confident he was worth a Band 1 contract. They were way off the mark. Band 3, not even Band 2 where we can suggest the AFL fiddled with it to stiff us.

Which makes me think about our pay structure across the list compared to other clubs.

No doubt we over paid to keep Sloane and Jenkins.

But what other average players are on good coin they would not get at other clubs, but we over pay.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It shouldn’t be forgotten that free agency compensation does not, and has never intended to, provide market value for the player changing clubs to their original club.

Hence the AFC being awarded band 3 compensation does not reflect that Brad Crouch’s worth in the open market is only equivalent to a start of second round pick.

It shouldn’t be forgotten that free agency compensation does not, and has never intended to, provide market value for the player changing clubs to their original club.

Hence the AFC being awarded band 3 compensation does not reflect that Brad Crouch’s worth in the open market is only equivalent to a start of second round pick.
It definitely didn't provide market value for Daniher, that's for sure.

should of traded him last year when he had more currency (winning 2019 bnf).

I would even look at trading matt crouch this year if he's not guaranteed to stay here.

This. No matter which way people want to spin it and talk about hard luck stories, we lost one of our best players for not much. All of Roo, Fagan, Kelly and Reid take the blame.

While Brad was more about his contract I think an element of blame sits with Nicks and Sloane. These guys have to show the leadership and culture that we are on the right path.

Which makes me think about our pay structure across the list compared to other clubs.

No doubt we over paid to keep Sloane and Jenkins.

But what other average players are on good coin they would not get at other clubs, but we over pay.

Tex, we love him but how can you have a guy that has next to zero impact on the game as one of our highest paid. He doesn't even set a good example on the track, he is just going through the motions. Huge test for Nicks coming up, he would of already spoken to him about expectations so we will see how he responds.

On smaller money but Lynch and Seedsman are two others we over committed too. Their Managers played it well though in negotiations.

Last edited:
In regards to Worrell. It doesn't matter what club a young potential gun goes to, if they are not getting played when they believe they should be they will consider leaving that club. Especially when the player that's in their way is clearly cooked. Play him and he will buy in and stay. Continue not playing him and we have another Gunston on our hands.
I was hoping we gave him a run last season. He was one I wanted picked up in the draft earlier.

This. No matter which way people want to spin it and talk about hard luck stories, we lost one of our best players for not much. All of Roo, Fagan, Kelly and Reid take the blame.

While Brad was more about his contract I think an element of blame sits with Nicks and Sloane. These guys have to show the leadership and culture that we are on the right path.
Has very little to do with Nicks and Sloane. He wasn't going to stay for a 3 year deal.

Tex, we love him but how can you have a guy that has next to zero impact on the game as one of our highest paid. He doesn't even set a good example on the tractk, he is just going through the motions. Huge test for Nicks coming up, he would of already spoken to him about expectations so we will see how he responds.

On smaller money but Lynch and Seedsman are two others we over committed too. Their Managers played it well though in negotiations.
Yes, but let's not be unreasonable here. If the Crows had offered lesser contracts when these players were in their prime, their managers would have found other clubs willing to take the punt(B Crouch as an example) & Crows supporters would bag the club mercilessly. And tell me, who has a crystal ball to predict when a player entering their"twilight" playing years is going to hit the wall & fall away quite quickly? That's a crystal ball - not hindsight!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping we gave him a run last season. He was one I wanted picked up in the draft earlier.
He'll get his chance - let's pls not forget that most draftees don't get to play at senior level in their first year - we gave a few of them the experience, but it would have irresponsible to play all of the 18-19 year olds.

Tex, we love him but how can you have a guy that has next to zero impact on the game as one of our highest paid. He doesn't even set a good example on the tractk, he is just going through the motions. Huge test for Nicks coming up, he would of already spoken to him about expectations so we will see how he responds.

if walker continues to put one arm up and plays in the afl side every week next year then clearly he's not team first.

If the unconfirmed rumours were on the money you think his management wouldn't have already clued up the Victorian clubs?

What is a player that was originally taken at pick 27 with no AFL games on his C,V. going to fetch in next year's draft?

And after the Crouch clusterfu** on top of that?
What do you do? Give him games so another club gets a kid with a bit of development? Or let him rot then get scraps for him next year?

Has very little to do with Nicks and Sloane. He wasn't going to stay for a 3 year deal.

Lots to do with Nicks. He's on the list management committee for a start. And the coaches rating of a player's value would be the key factor as to $ and length of contract. Nothing to do with Sloane except him needing a midfield spot, so one less is better for him.

Lots to do with Nicks. He's on the list management committee for a start. And the coaches rating of a player's value would be the key factor as to $ and length of contract. Nothing to do with Sloane except him needing a midfield spot, so one less is better for him.
Coach sounded like he wanted to keep him.

Brad Crouch: "year (bogan accent), I would've gone to the PSD (if crows matched).

Get stuffed Brad. Ungreatful prick.

I don't think we ever sounded like we wanted to keep him.
Which is also part of the stuff up.

We telegraphed that we didn't want him.

The club put itself in a terrible position for any matching process.

1- Brad said numerous times during the year on AA he wanted to stay, with nothing back from the club. Our club made it obvious we didn't want him months ago.

2 - Kelly puffs his chest out about "pick 2 or match".

3 - Saints offer the best contract Brad could get. Results in Band 3 Compo. Well below what our club was expecting.

4 - Club Ambassador Bickley gets fed the narrative we don't want him and relays this on AA.

5 - Backed into a corner we don't match.

We had no hand in negotiationing a better outcome. Saint Kilda (and the world) knew we didn't want him. You can't negotiate a deal from that position. Saints had the PSD option.

The rating for handling this from the start of this season is a massive fail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back