Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it be fair to assume that all our pre-season training next year will be based at Springfield and the days of multiple pre-season training venues are over?

Looking at today's time lapse images it looks like some final leveling of the soil
So maybe the grass will not be far away
Just checked onto the cam , can't be too far off.
would have to be next week.
How good is it going to look, finally some green.
Edit: Sniffle sniffle if only spidey was here to see it.

So the cash flow benefits of moving out of the Gabba will begin to flow into the Club pretty quickly I imagine - does anyone know when our lease on the Gabba administration facilities ends and how much we are projected to save?

So the cash flow benefits of moving out of the Gabba will begin to flow into the Club pretty quickly I imagine - does anyone know when our lease on the Gabba administration facilities ends and how much we are projected to save?

Roughly a couple of million a year I thought

$1.5m per year according to Jake Anson when I spoke with him a few months ago, once the move is complete

We can get martinson to call up Greg Swann & talk to him about it.

Marty, I look forward to your report next week ;)

Someone tell the tractor guy with the leveler .
He should of started in the middle and worked outwards.
There is already a tractor stuck in the middle.
Talk about nong nongs.:shoutyoldman:
Pfft amateurs :D

Anticipation of watching the grass being laid is getting exiting.
I think looking at the leveling of the ground appearing ready for grass , and considering the area or place where the grass is comining from could of recieved rain yesterday.
The ground possibly to wet to cut and remove the grass so my prediction is tomorrow.
Next week looking a like some possible rain so likely if possible this week .
Just my guess.
And yes the tractor leveler went back over the field again , so looked like three runs so far with two tractors.
somehow I find this project being great to watch at all it's stages.

Anticipation of watching the grass being laid is getting exiting.
I think looking at the leveling of the ground appearing ready for grass , and considering the area or place where the grass is comining from could of recieved rain yesterday.
The ground possibly to wet to cut and remove the grass so my prediction is tomorrow.
Next week looking a like some possible rain so likely if possible this week .
Just my guess.
And yes the tractor leveler went back over the field again , so looked like three runs so far with two tractors.
somehow I find this project being great to watch at all it's stages.
Is there some link / time lapse video you can check into to see how progress is going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there some link / time lapse video you can check into to see how progress is going?
M Malice provided the link for you
It is pretty cool to have available

Just start by clicking "Today"
They do "Yesterday"
That will show you how it works

Then if you want you can pick dates etc.
Towards the top you can pause
Have fun

Jake Anson on the Roar Deal today >

1- Lions get the keys to Brighton Homes Arena on Monday October the 10th.
2- Staff etc will move in later that week.
3- AFL commission meeting on site on the 18th of October... First in QLD since 2016.
4- Public opening 1st week in December.
5- Indoor training spaces, gym, recovering stations will all be ready for AFLW team use on the 16th of October.
6- Field should be ready for men's off season training in the first week of December.
7- The Gabba is still "very much so" going to be the main Olympic Stadium.
8- RNA still a live option for a Lions home during the demolition/build along with Springfield and Nathan, we want somewhere where you can get at least a 30,000 crowd in.

Jake is such an impressive, professional conveyer of information.

Jake Anson on the Roar Deal today >

1- Lions get the keys to Brighton Homes Arena on Monday October the 10th.
2- Staff etc will move in later that week.
3- AFL commission meeting on site on the 18th of October... First in QLD since 2016.
4- Public opening 1st week in December.
5- Indoor training spaces, gym, recovering stations will all be ready for AFLW team use on the 16th of October.
6- Field should be ready for men's off season training in the first week of December.
7- The Gabba is still "very much so" going to be the main Olympic Stadium.
8- RNA still a live option for a Lions home during the demolition/build along with Springfield and Nathan, we want somewhere where you can get at least a 30,000 crowd in.

Jake is such an impressive, professional conveyer of information.
What is at Nathan?

gosh I still remember walking between QSAC and the cemetary to go to uni exams back at nathan...

lovely surrounds though!

good to see it is all progressing nicely

I always thought that QSAC was the obvious and easy option. You can fit a Geelong sized oval there without having to do much. It is primitive but already has the right capacity. Spend a few $m updating corporate and amenities, demolish the northern open stands and bring it in 10m - 15m and you are in business.

Cost can also be justified as Brisbane will no doubt host a few warm up track events in the lead up to 2032, so you can lay a new running track in 2029 once Lions are back at the Gabba.

I always thought that QSAC was the obvious and easy option. You can fit a Geelong sized oval there without having to do much. It is primitive but already has the right capacity. Spend a few $m updating corporate and amenities, demolish the northern open stands and bring it in 10m - 15m and you are in business.

Cost can also be justified as Brisbane will no doubt host a few warm up track events in the lead up to 2032, so you can lay a new running track in 2029 once Lions are back at the Gabba.
When are the Lions due back at the Gabba?

Wouldn’t there be a running track around the oval of the new Gabba, after the redevelopment, that will have to be removed after the Olympics, so the oval will be suitable for cricket and footy again?

Wouldn’t there be a running track around the oval of the new Gabba, after the redevelopment, that will have to be removed after the Olympics, so the oval will be suitable for cricket and footy again?

depends on timing. Initially no but in 2032 yes. Which would still lead the question if qsac was used for athletics too, then where would the lions play in 2032..... so still an issue, but does assume that it will be used for athletics still leading up to the olympics, which would be a fair assumption.

depends on timing. Initially no but in 2032 yes. Which would still lead the question if qsac was used for athletics too, then where would the lions play in 2032..... so still an issue, but does assume that it will be used for athletics still leading up to the olympics, which would be a fair assumption.
They do have a second track with a small stand which is perfect for training.

Jake Anson did mention in his chat on the Roar Deal the other day that it is a possibility that we wont have to find a new home away from the Gabba at the end of 2025 has originally speculated, he said there is a chance it could be the end of 2027, government looking into the possibility that they just start demolishing then and go right through to the Olympics so in that scenario we would need to find somewhere else for seasons 2028-32.

Gabba will be demolished after the Ashes test in late 2025. And will be completed before the next Ashes test in late 2029. I would suggest the Lions will return there sometime in 2029.

Lions will be playing there in 2032, except for around eight weeks leading up to games, then two weeks of games.

EDIT - just saw above post, surprised they might be prepared to miss an Ashes test if correct, 4.5 years would be the longest stadium build ever. Surely they could start in Sept 2028 or even 2029 and finish by July 2032.

EDIT - just saw above post, surprised they might be prepared to miss an Ashes test if correct, 4.5 years would be the longest stadium build ever. Surely they could start in Sept 2028 or even 2029 and finish by July 2032.
They would be cutting it fine if they started September 2028, demolishing the old Gabba will take a year or so.

Anson also mentioned that Vulture St and Stanley St may have to become tunnels, also said that with an event as big as the Olympics there will need to be underground access to the Stadium to cater for visits from heads of state, he mentioned the POTUS Hummers couldn't park on the East Brisbane State School Oval.. LOL. They would also want to conduct some test events at the Stadium prior to the Olympics eg. State/National athletics championships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back