Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Anson did mention in his chat on the Roar Deal the other day that it is a possibility that we wont have to find a new home away from the Gabba at the end of 2025 has originally speculated, he said there is a chance it could be the end of 2027, government looking into the possibility that they just start demolishing then and go right through to the Olympics so in that scenario we would need to find somewhere else for seasons 2028-32.
That’s ridiculous. To be without a proper home for ?7 seasons will be awful. Not great for attracting / retaining players.

I bloody hope Nathan is not seriously being considered. Nightmare to get to and from.

That’s ridiculous. To be without a proper home for ?7 seasons will be awful. Not great for attracting / retaining players.

I bloody hope Nathan is not seriously being considered. Nightmare to get to and from.
5 seasons but still a bloody long time, not good although want can you do.

Agree on Nathan, it's a terrible option, a redeveloped RNA with a capacity around the 30,000 capacity would be the ideal solution.

Gabba will be demolished after the Ashes test in late 2025. And will be completed before the next Ashes test in late 2029. I would suggest the Lions will return there sometime in 2029.

Lions will be playing there in 2032, except for around eight weeks leading up to games, then two weeks of games.

EDIT - just saw above post, surprised they might be prepared to miss an Ashes test if correct, 4.5 years would be the longest stadium build ever. Surely they could start in Sept 2028 or even 2029 and finish by July 2032.

Lions won't be playing there in the olympic year most likely. there will be laying of the track and at least one test event there which will wipe out a bunch of the lead up

Lions won't be playing there in the olympic year most likely. there will be laying of the track and at least one test event there which will wipe out a bunch of the lead up
Melbourne got the MCG ready in nine weeks after Boxing Day test, then hosted AFL opening round a week after the games. Surely you could play six home games in the first eight rounds, two elsewhere during the lead up, then three of the last four after the games.

Melbourne got the MCG ready in nine weeks after Boxing Day test, then hosted AFL opening round a week after the games. Surely you could play six home games in the first eight rounds, two elsewhere during the lead up, then three of the last four after the games.
That's NQR. First game back the the MCG was on Anzac Day.

you don't tend to hold an olympics athletics meet on a track that hasn't had at least one warmup event. The process for removing a square of grass from the middle of a field isn't exactly the same as installing a whole athletics facility and then removing it again. Little bit more involved there. For one there's a tonne of electronics under these tracks to install etc etc.

I heard or read somewhere there was a plan for a warmup track in the park out the back of the pineapple hotel. You really do need a warmup track close to the stadium for major athletics competitions I would have thought.
Yes. There had to be an application to World athletics for an exemption. there is usually a proximity requirement

Asphalt laid today as seen in foreground of image
Looks like it leads to/from the maintenance building
I also think the maintenance building has a tunnel leading onto the ground for larger vehicle access

980x655_135501.jpg

Sprinklers were on yesterday on the oval , maybe testing the system, so maybe soon the grass .
Also some trees delivered today in the carpark in the foreground , so bit of landscaping getting done.

Sprinklers were on yesterday on the oval , maybe testing the system, so maybe soon the grass .
Also some trees delivered today in the carpark in the foreground , so bit of landscaping getting done.
Yes i noticed the sprinklers over the past few days
The landscaping in the foregroung may be finished by days end

The soil colour does not look like a topsoil type though
Maybe it is and that's what they use before the turf is laid
Find out soon enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The soil colour does not look like a topsoil type though
Maybe it is and that's what they use before the turf is laid
Find out soon enough

I think they go for a sand-heavy underlay to help drainage.

usually when laying this type of turf the top layer of soil is combined with the actual turf. they're extremely thick pieces, a lot thicker than what you get from the turf shop as they're usually interlaced with a synthetic matting that helps stitch the turf together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back