List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Rayner's automatic selection in the 22 under pressure? Maybe not right now but within the next 12 months? Is he consistently more impactful than Kai, Cameron, Linc, Bailey and Ah Chee in the forward line? Morris with another 12 months development and experience may leapfrog him as a hybrid 3rd tall.
We still have W Ashcroft to come back this year, who will most likely be playing on a wing and HFF at first. Cam can't play on a wing but Ashy can play on a HFF, Wing and in the middle. Will was more consistent that Cam was before his injury. L Ashcroft to come in next season, who if similar to his brother, which his on-field results would say is going to be the case, he walks straight into the first team, likely on a HFF and maybe spending time as a wing or in the middle.
Berry's tank and drive to defend are showing he is a better option in the middle right now. This has taken away some of Cam's midfield time. I am more confident of Bez's consistency than Cam's.
Cam isn't replacing Dunks, Neale or Clugg as a full time mid at this point.
I want Cam to succeed and be as good as he teases but I wonder if time is running out and if we will soon have too many options in front of him.
Guys like Sharp and Reville who may not play the same role as Cam are looking like they may be able to cement their spots in the near future, which means if his body holds up, Bez spends a lot less time on the wing.

He did get a coach's vote for the Richmond game

Is Rayner's automatic selection in the 22 under pressure? Maybe not right now but within the next 12 months? Is he consistently more impactful than Kai, Cameron, Linc, Bailey and Ah Chee in the forward line? Morris with another 12 months development and experience may leapfrog him as a hybrid 3rd tall.
We still have W Ashcroft to come back this year, who will most likely be playing on a wing and HFF at first. Cam can't play on a wing but Ashy can play on a HFF, Wing and in the middle. Will was more consistent that Cam was before his injury. L Ashcroft to come in next season, who if similar to his brother, which his on-field results would say is going to be the case, he walks straight into the first team, likely on a HFF and maybe spending time as a wing or in the middle.
Berry's tank and drive to defend are showing he is a better option in the middle right now. This has taken away some of Cam's midfield time. I am more confident of Bez's consistency than Cam's.
Cam isn't replacing Dunks, Neale or Clugg as a full time mid at this point.
I want Cam to succeed and be as good as he teases but I wonder if time is running out and if we will soon have too many options in front of him.
Guys like Sharp and Reville who may not play the same role as Cam are looking like they may be able to cement their spots in the near future, which means if his body holds up, Bez spends a lot less time on the wing.
I think you have it right, not this season but from next season if we have close enough to a full list to choose from Cam will be under immense pressure for his spot IMO.

Cam has shown some spasmodic great footy but he simply does not have the consistency of performance to be considered a B+ to Elite player. Taking everything into consideration over the entirety of his career for a player now in his 7th year in the system he has been generally disappointing.

I hope he proves me wrong and has a breakout rest of 2024.

Was having a look for promising young QAFL players other than Stanley Waistcoat who we could select at the MSD.

The most impressive one that's come up is Ben Woodburn from Surfers Paradise. He's a 21 year old midfielder originally from Yarrawonga. He can accumulate and kick goals, but his superpower is applying pressure. He currently leads the QAFL with 71 tackles for the season. The next best is 42.

He's been named in the bests in almost all games so far this season, culminating in being named player of the match this past weekend against the previously undefeated Palm Beach Currumbin.

He's considered by his coach to be the best player in the squad for club culture and team spirit:

Surfers Paradise, Matt Lappin: “Ben Woodburn is a real character, a young midfielder, and seems to bring a bit of energy to the group.

Was having a look for promising young QAFL players other than Stanley Waistcoat who we could select at the MSD.
Very much doubt we'd be looking at any QAFL players. The skill difference between VFL and QAFL is marked.

Very much doubt we'd be looking at any QAFL players. The skill difference between VFL and QAFL is marked.
There's some young kids that aren't bad. Some guy called Mathieson plays for the Gorillas at Wilston-Grange, seems to be dominating. Also there's thing defender called Rich (or something) that plays for Noosa Tigers. Also a bloke called Cox who plays for Morningside, reckon they would look ok in Lions colours

There's some young kids that aren't bad. Some guy called Mathieson plays for the Gorillas at Wilston-Grange, seems to be dominating. Also there's thing defender called Rich (or something) that plays for Noosa Tigers. Also a bloke called Cox who plays for Morningside, reckon they would look ok in Lions colours
They did look good in Lions colours, but I'm not sure their old guernseys would fit them any more.

It's been okay when looking at the Colts players so could only imagine there would be some good players there who may not want to travel so much as a semi-pro IMO.
If young U17/18s aren't playing regular senior QAFL then they're unlikely to be worth drafting. And they're only considered then due to the potential growth in those first few years. If mature-age QAFL players were good enough and serious about playing at the top level again, they'd be at least playing VFL.

Last edited:
They did look good in Lions colours, but I'm not sure their old guernseys would fit them any more.
Also have a forgotten ex-Lions player that we should look at but I’m afraid it will cause our club thread BF to explode.

Two words: GRANT BIRCHALL

Ugly Americans Cartoon GIF

Also have a forgotten ex-Lions player that we should look at but I’m afraid it will cause our club thread BF to explode.

Two words: GRANT BIRCHALL

Ugly Americans Cartoon GIF

Please delete your bigfooty account

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly what we really need is Tom Bell and Rohan Bewick

If young U17/18s aren't playing regular senior QAFL then they're unlikely to be worth drafting. And they're only considered then due to the potential growth in those first few years. If mature-age QAFL players were good enough and serious about playing at the top level again, they'd be at least playing VFL.
There’s been enough guys drafted out of the QAFL to say both mature and young guys should be considered, Walter, Reid, Budarick all selected basically straight from the QAFL/academy combo over the past few years. Rhys Nichols as well.

To your point these guys were playing seniors but I know clubs like Wilston Grange and to a lesser extent Maroochydore and Palm Beach put a high emphasis on playing against other 18 year olds with the occasional exposure to senior footy and they have had a decent number of draftees over the years. So I don’t think it is essential necessarily.

As an aside Cam Ellis-Yeolman played QAFL a couple of seasons back with the aim of getting redrafted. Obviously didn’t work out for him though.

There’s been enough guys drafted out of the QAFL to say both mature and young guys should be considered, Walter, Reid, Budarick all selected basically straight from the QAFL/academy combo over the past few years. Rhys Nichols as well.

To your point these guys were playing seniors but I know clubs like Wilston Grange and to a lesser extent Maroochydore and Palm Beach put a high emphasis on playing against other 18 year olds with the occasional exposure to senior footy and they have had a decent number of draftees over the years. So I don’t think it is essential necessarily.

As an aside Cam Ellis-Yeolman played QAFL a couple of seasons back with the aim of getting redrafted. Obviously didn’t work out for him though.
Yeah, but again I'm not talking about Academy kids - they're always taken with a few of what they might become as opposed to what they are at that point in time. I'm talking about those who are more liekly to be taken in the MSD, which is largely guys with a few more years footy who are more plug-and-play.

I'm probably most familiar with Grange having had a family member come through there recently, but even there I know the highly rated kids play seniors or Academy games most of the time.

Anyway, I didn't want to make a big thing out of it, but I'd be very surprised if the overwhelming majority of guys drafted in the MSD aren't playing VFL, SANFL or WAFL.

Yeah, but again I'm not talking about Academy kids - they're always taken with a few of what they might become as opposed to what they are at that point in time. I'm talking about those who are more liekly to be taken in the MSD, which is largely guys with a few more years footy who are more plug-and-play.

I'm probably most familiar with Grange having had a family member come through there recently, but even there I know the highly rated kids play seniors or Academy games most of the time.
Samson Ryan got drafted from Sherwood as a mature ager in 2021. Sure, he wasn't selected in the MSD, but the point is clubs do keep an eye on players from the QAFL.

Anyway, I didn't want to make a big thing out of it, but I'd be very surprised if the overwhelming majority of guys drafted in the MSD aren't playing VFL, SANFL or WAFL.
Nobody's arguing otherwise.

Samson Ryan got drafted from Sherwood as a mature ager in 2021. Sure, he wasn't selected in the MSD, but the point is clubs do keep an eye on players from the QAFL.

Nobody's arguing otherwise.
You could checkout the QLD Footy board, as there was a recent discussion of the best players in the QAFL.

Pretty sure the best mid played for our VFL team as a top up a couple of seasons ago.

Usually recently retired AFL players tend to be head and shoulders above QAFL talent.

I'm keen on Brayden Crossley. Is he available in the mid season draft?

I didn’t think this was making a big thing of it but fair enough, happy to move on

Back