Preview Brisbane Lions V Adelaide Crows - Adelaide Oval Sat 14th May, 7:40pm (EST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK....Ahem.....Is this mike on? Which button, the red one, what red one? Oh the one on the side. Ok got it, now where my glasses?

Sorry its been a while. I'm not entirely sure how this will end up but here goes nothing.

The tale of the Keaysmaster and the return of the hippy hippy shake!

I honeslty don't know what to make of the Crows this season. But then again that goes for a lot of teams, and perhaps most of the season as well. I came into the year fully expecting them to be fighting the kangas for the wooden spoon. But credit to them, they've been plucky and at least giving it a red hot crack. It also helps they've had a number of teams fighting them for the privilige.

But while they've been beating expectations, they still haven't been good. If you'd said at the end of last year they would be 3-5 with wins over the tigers, power and bulldogs so far you would probably have them finishing just below mid table at the end of the year. But appearances can be deceiving and the way their winning or better known now as their "Profile" (another s**t term Mike Whiting can add to his hate list), probably has them finishing ahead of the kangas and eagles, but not much better than that.

They still rank in the bottom 3rd in almost every meaningful metric with very few areas they can pin their flag to as a real area of strength. They do do a pretty good job of is having a real crack and sustaining effort, which funnily enough will take you a long way (i got that one from my friend titus). Unfortunately for them, the other areas they do have strengths in don't really match up well against the lions. 3rd and 4th least allowed opponent marks and kicks are great, but not against a team known for having low posessions counts and prefering to take territory. They've been ok at clearances but come up against the number one clearance side in the comp. Its not great reading

What does all this add up to. Well realistically it should be a strong and comfortable with for the lions. Now in past years here is where i've put the "but" in, "but" i just don't see it coming. Don't get me wrong i'm not dismissing the crows, but the reality of where both teams are at mean that anything less than a comfortable win would be on the outer edge of probable outcomes, not impossible but significantly less likely.

As the title suggests it would be remiss of me not to mention one of their main drivers (and probably symbolic of their general play this season) former lion Ben Keays. I'm not sure if you'd find too many lions fans who aren't absolutely wrapt for Keaysey. Having met him a few times, there aren't too many footy players i'd have more time for than Ben Keays. And while its a shame he had to go elsewhere to find his best football, sometimes in footy there's just guys in front of you who are just a little bit better and you just can't get past. The fact that he got the chance and has grabbed it with both hands is one of those great news stories you get from sport. Onya Keaysey

So what of the lions. Well I genuinely have a confidence in our ability to play the football we need to to just win games like this. In years past there was always the slight nagging thought before this type of game. But even with our key forward issues I just back our ability to do it better for longer and eventually wear teams down.

Speaking of key forwards, i know there's been some debate, but for mine, if hes good to go, hippy comes back into the team straight away this week. Sure there's the argument of easing him in via the vfl, but if i've got the choice of playing him on a brisbane suburban afl ground after a week of constant rain v the adelaide oval with a possible small shower i know what i'm picking.

Overall Lions to win by 52 and hippy to need a lengthy medical consult at Ashley and Martin after kicking a goal in his first game back

OK....Ahem.....Is this mike on? Which button, the red one, what red one? Oh the one on the side. Ok got it, now where my glasses?

Sorry its been a while. I'm not entirely sure how this will end up but here goes nothing.

I honeslty don't know what to make of the Crows this season. But then again that goes for a lot of teams, and perhaps most of the season as well. I came into the year fully expecting them to be fighting the kangas for the wooden spoon. But credit to them, they've been plucky and at least giving it a red hot crack. It also helps they've had a number of teams fighting them for the privilige.

But while they've been beating expectations, they still haven't been good. If you'd said at the end of last year they would be 3-5 with wins over the tigers, power and bulldogs so far you would probably have them finishing just below mid table at the end of the year. But appearances can be deceiving and the way their winning or better known now as their "Profile" (another s**t term Mike Whiting can add to his hate list), probably has them finishing ahead of the kangas and eagles, but not much better than that.

They still rank in the bottom 3rd in almost every meaningful metric with very few areas they can pin their flag to as a real area of strength. They do do a pretty good job of is having a real crack and sustaining effort, which funnily enough will take you a long way (i got that one from my friend titus). Unfortunately for them, the other areas they do have strengths in don't really match up well against the lions. 3rd and 4th least allowed opponent marks and kicks are great, but not against a team known for having low posessions counts and prefering to take territory. They've been ok at clearances but come up against the number one clearance side in the comp. Its not great reading

What does all this add up to. Well realistically it should be a strong and comfortable with for the lions. Now in past years here is where i've put the "but" in, "but" i just don't see it coming. Don't get me wrong i'm not dismissing the crows, but the reality of where both teams are at mean that anything less than a comfortable win would be on the outer edge of probable outcomes, not impossible but significantly less likely.

As the title suggests it would be remiss of me not to mention one of their main drivers (and probably symbolic of their general play this season) former lion Ben Keays. I'm not sure if you'd find too many lions fans who aren't absolutely wrapt for Keaysey. Having met him a few times, there aren't too many footy players i'd have more time for than Ben Keays. And while its a shame he had to go elsewhere to find his best football, sometimes in footy there's just guys in front of you who are just a little bit better and you just can't get past. The fact that he got the chance and has grabbed it with both hands is one of those great news stories you get from sport. Onya Keaysey

So what of the lions. Well I genuinely have a confidence in our ability to play the football we need to to just win games like this. In years past there was always the slight nagging thought before this type of game. But even with our key forward issues I just back our ability to do it better for longer and eventually wear teams down.

Speaking of key forwards, i know there's been some debate, but for mine, if hes good to go, hippy comes back into the team straight away this week. Sure there's the argument of easing him in via the vfl, but if i've got the choice of playing him on a brisbane suburban afl ground after a week of constant rain v the adelaide oval with a possible small shower i know what i'm picking.

Overall Lions to win by 52 and hippy to need a lengthy medical consult at Ashley and Martin after kicking a goal in his first game back
Well said Fatcat.

I'll be very surprised if we don't win this by 35-40.

They were terrible last week so I'm expecting better , but I just can't see their forwards kicking too many goals against our defence. We have too much talent all over the ground.

I think we should win this comfortably, albeit the Crows will be tough opposition. I think we match up well against each of their lines, especially with Sloane not there.

Next three games are the double whammy for us. Both must win and danger games!

Nice preview, although I wish it had more Simpsons references...

506956.jpg

I really am struggling to get a handle on this game.

The "gritty" Crows of the three wins in the first six Rounds have been supplanted by the "shitty" Crows of the last two Rounds.

You would have to think they will dig in on their home turf and have a real crack against us with a parochial Saturday night crowd behind them.

Hippy first game back is more of a like for like replacement for Daniher than McStay and will be short on match fitness. We are going to be relying more on our smalls and mids I believe, than relying on Hipwood to have a meaningful impact on the scoreboard

Bottom line is if our defensive unit can hold Tex, we should get over the line.

I'm not as condfident as some others here and will be happy with just a win.

Lions by 12 points

It hurts missing Joe and Dan. We get a Hippy who will be eager to go and do not forget Charlie, Rayner, Bailey and Linc is due.
I do not take the crows lightly.. Been a weird season.. Teams up and down.. Apart from us, Demons and Freo.

I don't think the Crows have the forwardline to beat us but their midfield will probably match us around the footy

Adams on Walker will be a great contest. Hopefully Andrews plays off his opponent more and gets his intercept game going. I can understand him being hesitant because we got burnt so often last year by his opponent but our midfield is playing better defensively led by Neale and Clug so we can probably afford him dropping off more. Especially on weaker opponents.

I'd also play Fort as the first ruck instead of splitting the ruck time 50:50. We need Oscars presence forward with Joe and McStay out of the team. Also Fort has been rucking better in the past few weeks and his follow up work has been good as well. Might also freshen up Oscar for when we have the 3 tall forwards and Fort gets dropped with Oscar doing the bulk of the rucking.

I don't think the Crows have the forwardline to beat us but their midfield will probably match us around the footy

Adams on Walker will be a great contest. Hopefully Andrews plays off his opponent more and gets his intercept game going. I can understand him being hesitant because we got burnt so often last year by his opponent but our midfield is playing better defensively led by Neale and Clug so we can probably afford him dropping off more. Especially on weaker opponents.

I'd also play Fort as the first ruck instead of splitting the ruck time 50:50. We need Oscars presence forward with Joe and McStay out of the team. Also Fort has been rucking better in the past few weeks and his follow up work has been good as well. Might also freshen up Oscar for when we have the 3 tall forwards and Fort gets dropped with Oscar doing the bulk of the rucking.
I don't think we should ever drop Fort, he's been excellent and a good forward. Maybe Joe could play on the wing;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we should ever drop Fort, he's been excellent and a good forward. Maybe Joe could play on the wing;)
What has Fort done for you to think the club should never drop him? In my opinion he has been serviceable but really done nothing for me to get so overly excited about. He's 28 years old, played a total of 16 games in his fourth year at the highest level, kicked 6 goals in 8 appearances for us, averages just over 11 disposals a game. He was primarily recruited as a back-up for the Big O & so far has done what he was recruited for but not much else to acclaim such a high rating in my opinion. Providing he helps Big O to stay fresh for our finals assault come September, I am happy to see the Big O take the reins as our primary ruck option with our 3 KPF's (Joey, Macca & Hippy) destroying the oppositions defensive set ups. Should the Big O have injuries or form issues, he is there as back-up only.

I reckon Linc's form has been really ordinary so far this year and he really needs to lift while we are without Joe and Dan and for the time it takes for Hippy to get back in the groove. Someone suggested he may be carrying an injury - whatever the case, he appears to be out of sorts. In some ways, that set shot he shanked out on the full on Saturday night was telling - just so unlike him.

Another argument could be that Big O needed some assistance instead of rucking the whole season on his own like he has done last year.
The longer Fort is in the team the better he appears to be getting.
This year, I am not so sure I can say the same about Oscar.

I reckon Linc's form has been really ordinary so far this year and he really needs to lift while we are without Joe and Dan and for the time it takes for Hippy to get back in the groove. Someone suggested he may be carrying an injury - whatever the case, he appears to be out of sorts. In some ways, that set shot he shanked out on the full on Saturday night was telling - just so unlike him.

Reckon he was really good the first few rounds. Influential against Port, obviously dined out on Norf, and then had a bit of an inconsistent game v gold coast - good stats and pressure, just a bit wonky with ball in hand. Its really just been the past 2 weeks where he has definitely been a bit quiet.

Another argument could be that Big O needed some assistance instead of rucking the whole season on his own like he has done last year.
I've got hopes that we're preparing Oscar to be primed for the rear end of the season instead of banged up and out of gas like he has been the last year or two.

But to me Fort is an intelligent player for an average player if you know what I mean and been a lot better than Oscar so far both in ruck contests and around the ground. In fact he's turned it around for us when he went into the ruck twice in recent games.

Linc has been an excellent player since he came to the club and is comfortably one of the best small forwards in the competition.

So he has a couple of weeks where the bounce of the ball doesn't go his way and he looks a little out of sorts.

It can happen in the position he plays. One thing no one could question is his effort. We're still winning games. It's only the level he's been consistently at that makes people question the last couple of weeks.

Tough crowd.

I've got hopes that we're preparing Oscar to be primed for the rear end of the season instead of banged up and out of gas like he has been the last year or two.

But to me Fort is an intelligent player for an average player if you know what I mean and been a lot better than Oscar so far both in ruck contests and around the ground. In fact he's turned it around for us when he went into the ruck twice in recent games.

I think Fort has been very solid but would say in Oscar's defence that I think we definitely missed him against the cats. Fort just didn't have an influence that night and I think that is a ruck division we need to dominate to win against them consistently.

I think Fort has been very solid but would say in Oscar's defence that I think we definitely missed him against the cats. Fort just didn't have an influence that night and I think that is a ruck division we need to dominate to win against them consistently.
True. I couldn't trust Fort as the sole ruck against good teams.

But he's probably underestimated against those teams as second banana because he's better than a backup but not good enough to be the gun. So if we have to keep the 2 ruck thing going he's more than useful. He doesn't make very many dumb errors and plays the percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back