Game Day Brisbane V Gold Coast NAB ROUND 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I have defended Lisle here and elsewhere but the big bugger simply needs to learn to lead into space. He did provide some leads yesterday and to be honest, our disposal failed to hit the target - some over his head, some to the ground in front. Don't know if that's why he stopped leading or not, but he just needs to keep doing it. Point in case. When Zorko got the ball, ran into space and launched his super goal from outside 50 metres, Lisle was standing in the goal square, static, with his opponent. Don't reckon Tink would ever had kicked it to I'm as he had the blinkers on, but, he should have led to provide a target AND to to take his opponent out of the square to leave an open goal area. Please Jordy....provide a target, demand the ball and lead!

I have defended Lisle here and elsewhere but the big bugger simply needs to learn to lead into space. He did provide some leads yesterday and to be honest, our disposal failed to hit the target - some over his head, some to the ground in front. Don't know if that's why he stopped leading or not, but he just needs to keep doing it. Point in case. When Zorko got the ball, ran into space and launched his super goal from outside 50 metres, Lisle was standing in the goal square, static, with his opponent. Don't reckon Tink would ever had kicked it to I'm as he had the blinkers on, but, he should have led to provide a target AND to to take his opponent out of the square to leave an open goal area. Please Jordy....provide a target, demand the ball and lead!

Agreed. Or at the very least, lead to create space in the forward line. Off the ball work might not be glorious but it serves the team, and putting in the 'thankless' work like that earns the appreciation of the coaches and your other forwards.

Was at the game, with a busfull of Whitsunday Bald Eagle Masters (over 35) footballers. A good time was had by all, I will tell you. As to the game, most things have already been covered here, but a few observations -

very scrappy in the near 100% humidity, but both teams do there preseason in this & over all it was disappointing. No way either side will play finals on that.

The Lions used a heap of petrol tickets early on, so some form of Suns comeback but we weathered it well & I was happy the way we ran the match out.

That said, there were a heap of players that needed that first run -
Merrett - made look a bit ordinary by Dixon who was by a mile the best key position player on the ground.
Beams - has got the class & IMO would be better served in the A grade than the magoos. We need his class.
Adcock. Live the stats do not tell the impact of his leadership down back. So important.
Patfull did a heap of work up & down the ground, can hold his head up for a 4 1/4 effort.
Redden was clearly BOG. Like the slimmer version that still has strength, but looks to have more run & was influential up forward.
Lisle had no impact - could not get separation & no physical presence. Agree with the concensus that he is not the long term answer.
McGuan has booked himself a round 1 game - his chase & pressure was noticable.
Rockliffe just runs all day & is poised to join the current elite.
Zorko is class. An energiser bunnywho is an inportant part of our team.
Green handled the ball as well as anyone.
Hanley. If he does not want to be tackled he doesn't. Vital cog.
Harwood was the best small defender on the ground & is a lock for best 22.
West did nothing to impress me & dropped a few marks that I could have taken.

On the younguns -
Aish just needs to play seniors. We have found our Luke Power replacement.
Close was very impressive. Worked hard, ran to the right places, held marks & finished beautifully. Did not look as big as I expected, but showed signs that he is worth persevering with. On this game, I would play him before Lisle purely on potential.
Cutler will play a season of NEAFL, but did some nice things.
Paparone had little influence early, but ran all day, took a couple of good marks & was not out of place.

And Robbo44 your boy will become a Lions cult hero. Loved his intro - came on, in 30 seconds went in & grabbed a ball in dispute & when the Suns player went to tackle him just said "if you are going to get me you are going to earn it" & slammed the shoulder in to him. Crunch. Ball up, but his opponent got up gingerly. Happened right in front of us, & the whole section of the crowd went wow.:thumbsu: Was very busy, good goal, but also was noticable doing the team things. Was watching him closely & when he was not involved was always moving to provide options or close space, and picked the right spots to run to. I can see him playing a lot of games this year, perhaps regularly in the green vest.

As I said, the conditions made for a scrappy game - in 1 passage in the last 1/4 which led to a Lions goal we fumbled 4 out of 5 hand balls but with the lack of pressure we got away with it. Overall, a low key practice match against a pretty week opponent. But plenty of positives.Out of little things, big things grow.

Was at the game, with a busfull of Whitsunday Bald Eagle Masters (over 35) footballers. A good time was had by all, I will tell you. As to the game, most things have already been covered here, but a few observations -

very scrappy in the near 100% humidity, but both teams do there preseason in this & over all it was disappointing. No way either side will play finals on that.

The Lions used a heap of petrol tickets early on, so some form of Suns comeback but we weathered it well & I was happy the way we ran the match out.

That said, there were a heap of players that needed that first run -
Merrett - made look a bit ordinary by Dixon who was by a mile the best key position player on the ground.
Beams - has got the class & IMO would be better served in the A grade than the magoos. We need his class.
Adcock. Live the stats do not tell the impact of his leadership down back. So important.
Patfull did a heap of work up & down the ground, can hold his head up for a 4 1/4 effort.
Redden was clearly BOG. Like the slimmer version that still has strength, but looks to have more run & was influential up forward.
Lisle had no impact - could not get separation & no physical presence. Agree with the concensus that he is not the long term answer.
McGuan has booked himself a round 1 game - his chase & pressure was noticable.
Rockliffe just runs all day & is poised to join the current elite.
Zorko is class. An energiser bunnywho is an inportant part of our team.
Green handled the ball as well as anyone.
Hanley. If he does not want to be tackled he doesn't. Vital cog.
Harwood was the best small defender on the ground & is a lock for best 22.
West did nothing to impress me & dropped a few marks that I could have taken.

On the younguns -
Aish just needs to play seniors. We have found our Luke Power replacement.
Close was very impressive. Worked hard, ran to the right places, held marks & finished beautifully. Did not look as big as I expected, but showed signs that he is worth persevering with. On this game, I would play him before Lisle purely on potential.
Cutler will play a season of NEAFL, but did some nice things.
Paparone had little influence early, but ran all day, took a couple of good marks & was not out of place.

And Robbo44 your boy will become a Lions cult hero. Loved his intro - came on, in 30 seconds went in & grabbed a ball in dispute & when the Suns player went to tackle him just said "if you are going to get me you are going to earn it" & slammed the shoulder in to him. Crunch. Ball up, but his opponent got up gingerly. Happened right in front of us, & the whole section of the crowd went wow.:thumbsu: Was very busy, good goal, but also was noticable doing the team things. Was watching him closely & when he was not involved was always moving to provide options or close space, and picked the right spots to run to. I can see him playing a lot of games this year, perhaps regularly in the green vest.

As I said, the conditions made for a scrappy game - in 1 passage in the last 1/4 which led to a Lions goal we fumbled 4 out of 5 hand balls but with the lack of pressure we got away with it. Overall, a low key practice match against a pretty week opponent. But plenty of positives.Out of little things, big things grow.
Thanks very much for the feedback mate
We are really excited about our years ahead with this club
Nothing more rewarding than being part of something new and then sticking the course till the rewards come
We live in WA but are becoming more and more passionate in our support for the BL
Helps when your sons getting a game I spose!

Here's the MRP report: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-24/mrp-full-statement-feb-1823

So it's been assessed as negligent rather than reckless, which is very generous considering he leapt up off the ground to lay the bump.

It's been assessed as low impact, which is again very generous seeing as Rockliff remained on the ground for several seconds after the incident.

This is just a bad call. I normally think the MRP are okay at interpreting these sorts of incidents, and normally the penalties are fairly predictable. But this should have been a level 3 offence, 3 weeks plead down to 2.

Let's just hope we get the same kind of generosity.
As Rocky played out the game without looking affected the medical report would have helped get that low impact ruling. But the thing I find the hardest to understand in all MRP rulings is the negligent/reckless clause

As Rocky played out the game without looking affected the medical report would have helped get that low impact ruling. But the thing I find the hardest to understand in all MRP rulings is the negligent/reckless clause

Yeah, no doubt that was a consideration, but it's worth having a read of the AFL tribunal booklet.
Particularly this bit on pg 11, dealing with categorisation of impact:

Regard will also be had to the potential to cause injury.
For example, contact to the head will generally have more impact than
contact to the body if the force used is similar. The potential to cause
serious injury is also relevant, such as in the following cases:

any head-high contact with a player who has his head over
the ball, particularly when contact is made from an opponent
charging from a front-on position

Also:

The absence of injury does not preclude the classification of impact as severe.

Justin Clarke, not too sure if it was there last season but I noticed when in close he has a tendency to turn and almost back into the tackler while attempting to release the ball. If I've seen this correctly I think it could be a bad habit that will see him get caught more often than not when he tries it on. This movement also looked to restrict his release of the ball making his team mate have to move in closer creating congestion and trouble in clearing the area. Noticed this a couple of times.

Yeah, no doubt that was a consideration, but it's worth having a read of the AFL tribunal booklet.

I was shocked at the interpretation too, TomFC ... it was head impact and I thought if it was head impact, it didn't matter whether he played on.

Also:
Yeah I agree with that.

I think that the AFL quite often goes about these matters the wrong way. It often seems that the extent of the injury outweighs the intent of the offender. That just seems backwards to me

I was shocked at the interpretation too, TomFC ... it was head impact and I thought if it was head impact, it didn't matter whether he played on.
Yeah, I thought they sorted this out last year with a couple on incidents where the bumping player jumps off the ground. Hitting the head in that fashion is so likely that there should be no other consideration. Sumner is an inch taller than Rocky, so what other outcome than likely high contact is there?
I also think it ridiculous that you get an automatic discount for pleading guilty. The offence was quite obvious and clearly videoed, other than try to argue the classification it was always guilty, there was never going to be an argument from the Suns. There should be mandatory time off for certain offences.
Both Toms were very lucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it should have been graded intentional. He went in, not going for the ball at all, he was there to block, lead with his elbow and arm tucked and raised to hit him. At the very least reckless. IMO it should have been 2 weeks down to 1

I think it should have been graded intentional. He went in, not going for the ball at all, he was there to block, lead with his elbow and arm tucked and raised to hit him. At the very least reckless. IMO it should have been 2 weeks down to 1
Was definitely reckless, the second his feet left the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back