Game Day Brisbane V Gold Coast NAB ROUND 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So without having read the rest of this thread just yet...

Gold Coast were freaking terrible. To be fair, they no doubt have some cobwebs to clear out like the other teams, and obviously they were a fair way from full strength, but anybody thinking they're primed for a quick rise up the ladder is kidding themselves. This afternoon showed exactly why it is generally a long, hard slog for young teams, no matter how talented the kids are: there is no substitute for a cohesive unit of seasoned professionals, and that only comes after years.

Thoughts on our boys:

Poor old Lisle. Every condition he possibly could ask for was there today, and he still looked unconvincing. Last rites are being read.

Looks possible that Leppitsch will play effectively three half forwards; could be McGuane, Staker and maybe Paparone or Close. It did seem that we were prepared to kick to the flanks today, and that tall forwards were expected to lead well up the ground.

You could really see the benefit of the mobile talls tonight. It was very rare that we had the ball backwards of centre and there was no one to kick to.

West was good in the ruck, but didn't have much impact around the ground that I could see. A bit disappointing.

While Aish isn't taking games apart just yet, you can see the little glimpses that get people excited. Particularly as the game went on he seemed to lift his eyes more and get more confident. Not everything he did works out, but by jingo I reckon he's learning quick to play at this level.

Nick Robertson is like a puppy with a deathwish. You get the feeling if the ball rolled in front a speeding car he'd still go after it full bore.

Golby seems to be getting primed to take more of a central role across half back (if that makes sense). Unfortunately that's bringing his skills even more under the microscope, and he didn't really hold up tonight. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting back his feel for the match.

Hopefully Hanley and Merrett are the same. Looked like they needed a bit more time out there to get their skills right.

Green, Zorko and Rockliff are the kinds of players who just make you love footy. Everything they did tonight they did with enthusiasm. I reckon they're all going to have ripping seasons.

Positives and negatives in equal measure, for mine. It feels like we're maybe a little further behind than where we'd like to be, but that's probably a product of our ordinary schedule.

Wasn't at the game today, but was at the NAB game last year and the conditions up there are terrible if you want to watch the skills of the game.

Really happy with the look of that game plan. Rocky, Reddan and Maloney were fantastic IMO.

Close showed glimpses of what he might be able to do which is encouraging and I just read through the previous 18 pages and only can remember one comment on Trent West.

West today was much better, probably due to the fact that he had Leuy there with him. Was quite happy with his efforts.

Harwood 24 touches @ 91%.. Like

Zorko 14 of his 16 possessions contested and 9 tackles… Like

Lester 5 clearences… Like

Beams- 75% playing time - no noticeable difference in his play 14 disposals @ 85%… like

Robertson, Aish, Cutler and Bourke all showed something … like

Hanley… like very much

:thumbsu::thumbsu::footy::footy::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Looks possible that Leppitsch will play effectively three half forwards; could be McGuane, Staker and maybe Paparone or Close. It did seem that we were prepared to kick to the flanks today, and that tall forwards were expected to lead well up the ground.
Yeah. In fact, the whole "switch at all
costs" game plan fails if there isn't someone presenting out the other side who has burned off his opponent either through workrate or anticipation/speed.

I thought Beams looked a bit slower but it's too early to jump to conclusions. I'm still 100% in favour of at least a month in the reserves to start the season.

Yeah. In fact, the whole "switch at all
costs" game plan fails if there isn't someone presenting out the other side who has burned off his opponent either through workrate or anticipation/speed.

Its also something easy to figure out and counter. Im sure there would be other directives for them to take if the switch isnt there, I imagine down the line to the boundary, either mark or OOB for a throw in and reset.

I thought Beams looked a bit slower but it's too early to jump to conclusions. I'm still 100% in favour of at least a month in the reserves to start the season.

I agree with this - I thought he played really well and got clear a bunch of times (great delivery etc), but he did seem a tiny bit slower. He might recover a bit like Lester - a little bit of a limp for a while ... heaps of hard work ... and he'll be ok.

Its also something easy to figure out and counter. Im sure there would be other directives for them to take if the switch isnt there, I imagine down the line to the boundary, either mark or OOB for a throw in and reset.

In terms of how it played out today ... I think we did all we had to do to win. We were able to spread and drop our man quite a bit, so why not do the default style. I'd be really interested to see how it pans out against Hawks/Cats in the first few. Even if we get smashed in those games trying to implement something dynamically, I'll be stoked.

It is easy to figure out but not necessarily easy to counter. I don't think any game plan is so unique that opponents can't work it out. The difference will be whether we can implement it well enough that it is difficult to counter.

That relies on work ethic, excellent skills and quick, quality decision making.

Having said that, today we clearly had the bailout option if the switch wasn't on and we also went through the corridor a bit when it was on. That indicates that we won't be completely one-dimensional.

Watched the game today in Bali
Crap sound and picture but was great to see the boys have a win even though a slightly rusty one.
Great to see Nick kick his first goal and see his mum well up with tears of pride.
Must be tough in the humidity as I watched the ball slip along the grass a few times like the game was played in wet weather.
Coming over March 6 for the player induction and will be there for the Swans practice match.
Looking forward to catching up with Nick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Harwoods game. Solid as a rock in defence, mopped up plenty of times and was exceptionally clean with his disposal.

I swear I saw Harwood butcher a few handballs... must of been someone else
By the end it was very sloppy all round. I only listened to it but it seemed every time Lisle had a chance he fumbled, yet he got praise for contesting... (FWIW, we beat them by 47 points, and they beat essendon by 1 point, so I guess we're an 8 goal better team than the dons... geez they can't be happy down there surely...)

Something I noticed was how quick/slick he was with his handpassing. I think he has improved on this over the offseason (not saying he was bad at it before)

Completely agree. He looked really smooth today. He might give Patfull a run for his money in the b&f this year if he continues to play like that.

Still a terrible goal kicker though ;)

It is easy to figure out but not necessarily easy to counter. I don't think any game plan is so unique that opponents can't work it out. The difference will be whether we can implement it well enough that it is difficult to counter.

That relies on work ethic, excellent skills and quick, quality decision making.

Having said that, today we clearly had the bailout option if the switch wasn't on and we also went through the corridor a bit when it was on. That indicates that we won't be completely one-dimensional.

So am I the only one who thinks it might have been more interesting to see us try that gameplan vs the Hawks with a 75% full squad instead of the Auskick kids that played?

We prob still would have been rolled (Hawks seem ON already) but it might have been a better test than a team playing without most of their only true strength (midfield gutted; also slightly worrying is their only decent guy, Bennell, still managed to cherry pick 4 with minimal support).

The true test of the 'U-bend' (back-across-up) will be a team that presses up and takes away our space at every opportunity. I feel the Hawks just got the Round 1 heads up as to what they will be planning for...

I think with what Hawthorn did to North on Friday night coupled with todays result we can put our first NAB clash behind us.

Moloney, Redden and Rockliff all were very good while Lester and Zorko were serviceable. Robertson doesn't die wondering, that's for sure. Really pleasing that we've got inside midfielders performing really well.

I feel the Hawks just got the Round 1 heads up as to what they will be planning for...

Game plans aren't secrets. They get figured out pretty quick. Good game plans work despite your opponent knowing what you're going to do.

Who do you think benefits most from us polishing our game plan for 2 games before round 1? Us or the Hawks? :cool:

Pretty happy with just about everyone.

If Redden, Zorko, Lester, Moloney, Rockliff and Hanley can keep that form up, along with the younger guys like Aish, Robbo, Mayes and Cutler, we'll go better than most on BigFooty think.

Aish I thought was impressive, he won 4 clearances, pick up 19 disposals and had 4 inside fifties. His kicking was down but that was the case for many.

Robbo is one hell of a pick up. 12 disposals, 2 clearances and a goal in 33% of game time.

Cutler hopefully is developed as a midfielder, he was certainly an impressive one a couple years ago. 9 disposals in 30% of game time.

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story, and I don't generally like to rely on stats alone, but it's just good to see how some of our younger boys went against the GC's younger boys.

Reckon Zorkos game was better than serviceable but still shy of his best. He might not rack up huge possessions, but it's his work off the ball that benefits the team. His run, his relentless tackle and forward pressure are all better than cheap possessions. He pulverized a Sun defender in front of our goals with the balling popping up and McGuanne goaling from free kick. Goes unnoticed by some but just outstanding pressure. Now, if we could all tackle like him......:)

Interesting forward combination Zorko and McGuane. Both from Broadbeach FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back