Game Day Brisbane V Gold Coast NAB ROUND 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Good goal from Close. He has impressed me from what I have seen today.

Love the fact we have a pretty clear game plan. Need to work on a plan B though.

Not sure we had the forward 50 pressure l thought we were gonna have. Much better than last year but still. Things to work on but pretty good.
Will take about half a year to get the game-plan really working. The conditions today made it 10x harder to execute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's assuming the forward marks it. Otherwise, it is very easy to rebound on. There's not a lot of room in a forward 50 these days. Midfielders get back, block space and create rebound and run.

I'm not suggesting it is right but a lot of clubs now do it. Hence a great leading full forward like Jack Riewoldt playing up field and a taller option in Vickery playing deep.
I'm hearing you but I reckon we have played that way without success for too long. Ball kicked long to pack to no better than 50:50 contest rebounds and hurts us. Good teams keep possession and are patient. They also have players who push hard into space and conversely push it of space to open opportunities for other. Love to see our boys adopt a similar work ethic. It's one thing for Tony Lockett style player to put his hand in air and say kick it in a one on one contest, but Lisle etc aren't at that level. They need to lead.

Could Matty Campbell not give us anything? We absolutely belted them.

Lynch has never been known for his subtlety.

Alastair-Lynch-Darryl-Wakelin-5676045.jpg

Or his ability to connect...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure we had the forward 50 pressure l thought we were gonna have. Much better than last year but still. Things to work on but pretty good.

Plan seems to be to get the footy to within 80m, then quickly kick it inside 50 and hold it in there to get repeated shots on goals but we didn't do a great job holding it in there. Maybe the high rotations hurt that a bit.

My Telstra 3G struggled to let me watch the third and fourth quarters, but my take on a few players:

Redden: Set for a big year I think, 28 touches and his usual solid effort in tackles with 10, as well as two cracker goals. Ran at 71.4% efficiency.

Rockliff: All year in the mid? Hes going to go top 3 Brownlow at that rate. 32 touches, 75% efficiency, 8 tackles. No goals, but still works really hard.

Hanley: A tidey 27 touches at 70.4%, 25 of those were uncontested though, so seems we'll be using him as that link/get the ball to him guy.

Moloney: 24 touches for 3 quarters, will again provide that grunt and strong experienced body in the mid.

Zorko: Only 16 touches by he did have a game high 6 clearances for us as well as his 2 goals (One super, but 2 in H&A)

Harwood: 24 touches and that was at 91.7%. Should get heaps of games this year.

Lester: 19 at 78.9%, should be another stepping stone year for him.

Rich: Quiet, only 16 at 62.5% and a goal to his name. Will hopefully improve with more fitness/game time.

West: 23 hit outs and 9 disposals but at 33.3%. Will clearly just be on the field to give Luey a break, but who knows what could come of him.

Beams: 14 touchs at 85.7%. Will take him a few games to begin reguarly cracking 20touches with a goal or two but hasnt lost any of his confidence by foot.

Mcguane: 3 Goals in the first but went missing a bit for the last 3. Will be a good second/third target though.

Lisle: Needs something big to happen for him this year, with just a goal and 2 behinds.

Burger: 21 hit outs and 13 touches around the ground. Took 0 marks for the match, which is unusual for him.

Robertson: Last one, only did 33% of the game by the AFL stats, looks really keen to get in and play, should get games this year without to much issue. Only concern for me is a few times he jumped into the back when we already had someone in there extracting the ball and caused a turn over because of it. This is just a learning thing obviously, and hes keen to show he wants to play, which is great and makes this occurance excusable.

Paparone did his best work late....reckon that will be a recurring theme of his career.

I get the feeling we dont quite know where to play him yet. Is he a forward? A link man? A flanker? A utility? Oh god is he our Jack Watts?

I'm hearing you but I reckon we have played that way without success for too long. Ball kicked long to pack to no better than 50:50 contest rebounds and hurts us. Good teams keep possession and are patient. They also have players who push hard into space and conversely push it of space to open opportunities for other. Love to see our boys adopt a similar work ethic. It's one thing for Tony Lockett style player to put his hand in air and say kick it in a one on one contest, but Lisle etc aren't at that level. They need to lead.

We kicked a lot of goals today from spillages and stoppages. 9 different goalkickers, including several mids. That's modern footy, for better or worse.

To play this gameplan, you don't need a Lockett. You just need blokes who'll compete. The key forward is the means to the scoring opportunity, rather than the end. Given we don't really have any forwards of note, it seems to me to be a gameplan designed to overcome our weaknesses.

I get the feeling we dont quite know where to play him yet. Is he a forward? A link man? A flanker? A utility? Oh god is he our Jack Watts?
I commented mid game that he looks awfully weak. However, he did a couple of good things in the final quarter, when the other players started to look shot.

I tend to think he's a hybrid wing/forward. An Embley type, perhaps?

McGuane has now shortened from $12 into $7 for leading goalkicker at Brisbane... glad I got on, just need to see him with Staker + Brown in the side!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back