Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Richmond 2.13.9 (105) def
Western Bulldogs 0.12.9 (81)

NATHAN Brown showed why he was the AFL's biggest trade as Richmond beat the Western Bulldogs by 24 points at Telstra Dome.

RICHMOND 1.4.3 2.6.4 2.8.6 2.13.9 (105)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 0.1.1 0.4.5 0.9.8 0.12.9(81)
Nine-pointers: Richmond: K Pettifer A Fiora. Western Bulldogs: Nil.
Goals: Richmond: TZantuck 3 S Morrison 2 D Rodan 2 N Brown B Ottens GTivendale A Kellaway G Stafford J Schulz. WesternBulldogs: B Johnson 3 M Boyd 2 P Bowden S Power L DarcyJ Rawlings D Bandy S West F Ray.
Best:Richmond: G Tivendale N Brown A Kellaway C Newman.Western Bulldogs: B Johnson S Power R Smith M Boyd.
Umpires: M Stevic S McLaren M Fraser SMcBurney.
Crowd: 22,257 at Telstra Dome.

Brown had 21 disposals and kicked a goal against his old club in the opening match of the Wizard Cup pre-season competition.

The Tigers steadied in the last term to win 2-13-9 (105) to 0-12-9 (81).

Bulldogs midfielder Adam Cooney, the No.1 pick in the national draft, also showed some promised in his 12 possessions.

Brown started in the middle and then went into attack, with the 'Dogs fans predictably booing whenever he had a possession.

He clashed heavily on the wing with former team-mate Rohan Smith when they ran for a mark early in the first term.

Brown looked a little proppy after that incident, but he kicked a goal later in the term as the Tigers took control.

Cooney spent much of the night on a wing and showed some glimpses of his potential for the Bulldogs after early fumbles.

Former Hawthorn key position player Jade Rawlings kicked a goal in his first game for the Bulldogs and looked promising, despite having to come off late in the second term after a collision with an opponent.

Former Fremantle defender Steven Koops, now with the Bulldogs, came off in the last term with a elbow.

The Western Bulldogs trailed by as much as 43 points midway through the second term, but kicked the next five goals either side of half time and trailed by only five points late in the third term.

Andy Kellaway drifted down the ground to kick a steadying goal and the Tigers led by 10 points at the last change.

Two goals to former Brisbane player Shane Morrison and another to Jay Schulz early in the last term eased the pressure on the Tigers.

Midfielder Greg Tivendale was best afield with 23 possessions, while Brad Johnson kicked three goals for the Bulldogs in an even duel with Chris Newman.

Bulldogs officials later confirmed Koops, who was solid until injured, would be out for at least a month with his dislocated elbow.

"It's probably the best-possible scenario of what it looked like when he came off, we thought he'd broken his arm," said coach Peter Rohde.

"The early feedback is we'd hope to have him ready for the start of the season."

While Cooney fumbled far more often than he has shown in training, fellow rookie and the Bulldogs' second-round pick Farren Ray lit up the game.

He came on late in the second term and helped spark the Bulldogs surge.

The Tigers used five new players while resting veterans Matthew Richardson, Wayne Campbell, Joel Bowden and Darren Gaspar.

Coach Danny Frawley said his team was keen to do well after disappointing in last year's pre-season.

"There were some good signs there - we dug a little bit of hole for ourselves in that third quarter and played some stagnant footy, but then we got back to what we've been training (for) over the last four months," he said.

What a magnificent game last night was. Except for that 3rd quarter what the hell happened then???. Talk about a scare. But we got through with a win and thats the most important. Full congratulations to Darren Crocker and the way he has worked our forward structure. And to craig brittain. Our play seemed more direct through the centre instead of using the wings. We started well and finished well which last year we didnt do that well. And well done to Andy Kellaway for captaining. I will give my assesment of all the players.

Blumfield- Didnt see that much of him to impress me really. I think he was played off the bench. Hopefully has a better game next week.

Brown- Great debut game for the yellow and black. Got 20+ disposals and kicked a game. Looked classy and delivery was magnificent nearly 100%

Chaffey- Brilliant out of our defence. How much are we going to miss him round 1. Seems to always go for the ball which is a good thing sumtimes but when him and weller did last nite they collided and a goal was out of it.

Coughlan- Quietish night didnt look like he got too many disposals. Looked good and tough. Put body on line well.

Fiora- Great hairstyle haha. Na he honestly looked more confident in his game. Needs to play wing next week instead of defence.

Fleming- Improved his tackling alot. And he is a gem of a player. He jumped on anything last night and he is what we need in that centre.

Hall- Did ok in defence. He is better when its contested but if they lead then we got no hope. I remember in round 5 when we played hawthorn that rawlings killed gasper with his running and leading so i think he is just really good at that. Keep him there.

Houlihan- Looked average but he did enough. May drop for next week but i wouldnt mind if we did. Good game and should play defence.

Hyde- Didnt do anything. Should drop for Krakouer

Johnson- Was quiet early but had a bit of it in the 2nd half. I dont think he took it to seriously but looking forward to round 1.

Kellaway- Captain kellaway did a brilliant job on a MASSIVE bandy goddam how much has he bulked up.

Marsh- Looked pretty good taking 2 marks down back. Did ok in the ruck. Pretty good pickup.

Morrison- Love this kid. What a debut game by the way. Presented well all night and laed all the time and is a real workhorse. Love his attack on the ball and looks fairly accurate and can take a contested grab. Leave him at CHF.

Newman- Shouldnt of played on Johnson IMO. I would of had Chaffey on Johnson and Newman on Cooney. But looked alrite.

Nicholls- Tackled well but that was teh only thing he did. Should be replaced by Richo.

Ottens- Good game in the Ruck. But made a few mistakes up Forward. Glad to see him back and fit.

Pettifer- He is a different player he has bulked up and i thought that he had woken up to himself in the first 10 minutes of the quarter when he lept at anything and i liked what i saw IMO. Doesnt look match fit thought. Keep him in for next week.

Roach- Certainly has some pace and can kick it either side of the body. Looked the goods. Keep him in for next week.

Rodan- Certainly a great hair do he has got going. But he was good in the forward line doesnt everyone think. I think those comments made by flea had woken him up a little bit. Good game though.

Shultz- Jesus hasnt he bulked up? Absoulote tank he is looking. Presented well and looks good for the future. Kicked a good goal and Should give him another run next week.

Stafford- A down game for stafford i think something is wrong with him. Maybe carrying a slight injury or sumthin

Tivendale- Looks like another big year for tivers. Looked classy and more harder on the ball.

Weller- What a good game by this bloke. Very underrated in my opinion. Wore his heart on his sleeve and attack on the ball was brilliant. Has great accuracy aswell and pentration with his kick. Did well down back and isnt afraid of the hardstuff. Seems very very disaplained.

Zantuck- This guy has gotta stay fowrard. As eddy said he is a 40 goal forward and talk about exciting. He has a graet mark and leads all day and can kick the freak goal like last night haha i loved it.

So overall assesment was pretty good but im more concerned who to leave out for next week when Richo,Krakouer and gasper come back and maybe more may come back what about campbell and bowden are they ready?

I think that zantuck can play forward this year. I mean our backline isnt so bad with Gasper,Hall,A.Kellaway,Chaffey,Weller and Campbell.

And forward line of Zantuck,Richo,Ottens/Stafford,Krakouer,Rodan,Shultzy,Morrison and Brown its looking really good and flexibility is really nice.

Midfield is still top 5 in the comp IMO. Bowden,Tivendale,Fiora,Blumfield,Coughlan,Fleming,Johnson and now Brown.

So im very happy with the result and good to see some footy being played. Good effort boys.

Glad to see all the new guys do well.

Brown - only one of his 21 touches not effective

Morrison - presented well

Weller - tall and versatile, gives us flexability down back

Marsh - set up 2 goals when came on in the 2nd quarter

Roach - boy is this boy fast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back