News Brownlow Betting Scandal allegations - 6th Dec Police Widen Investigations

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Love it how the bookies are quick to turn on those who win s**t loads of cash :D

They are the first to boot you off their betting apps if you go a winning streak.

They don’t mind creating markets for reality shows like Survivor or Big Brother where the winner is leaked before they even go to air, or predetermined events like Wrestlemania.

* em!

They shoukd be given a medal for ripping off the bookies.

Don’t know how many people know the result prior to the ceremony but I presume someone at 7 would need to. A lot of graphics to get prepared.

But I’m only guessing.

Doesn’t give a lot of confidence when you hear that the AFL CEO was facing a massive return on an ultimately unsuccessful multi. Admittedly, it was racing, but not necessarily all racing.
His brother described him as being in foetal position after the race. Probably a bit of hyperbole but I’d rather the head a sporting body not having life changing bets.

He gets paid plenty. Losing on the punt should be neither here nor there to him.
But it sounds like something he took hard. That’s not great for integrity.

Knowing what I do about the corporate bookmakers, I can’t imagine they would allow someone to potentially win six-figure amounts unless they were a good customer.

And by good, I mean good for the bookmaker.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve known all about corrupt umps since the 2016 GF.
70nyai.jpg

This is a very serious finding, especially how little confidence fans already have with the integrity of the sport.

I see only one way to restore confidence in the sport which I believe will result in a fair and equitable outcome for all - the medal must be stripped from Cripps immediately and awarded to the rightful winner in Neale.

Don’t know how many people know the result prior to the ceremony but I presume someone at 7 would need to. A lot of graphics to get prepared.

But I’m only guessing.

Doesn’t give a lot of confidence when you hear that the AFL CEO was facing a massive return on an ultimately unsuccessful multi. Admittedly, it was racing, but not necessarily all racing.
His brother described him as being in foetal position after the race. Probably a bit of hyperbole but I’d rather the head a sporting body not having life changing bets.

He gets paid plenty. Losing on the punt should be neither here nor there to him.
But it sounds like something he took hard. That’s not great for integrity.

Knowing what I do about the corporate bookmakers, I can’t imagine they would allow someone to potentially win six-figure amounts unless they were a good customer.

And by good, I mean good for the bookmaker.
How bookies handle different customers (I worked at one)

Low wagers/Low win rate:
Some bonus bets

High wagers/Low win rate:
Silver tier account managers
  • Specific offerings outside of normal promotions
  • Special bonus bet deals

Very high wagers/Low win rate:
Gold tier account managers
  • Private invitations to functions/marquees at big events including AFL GF, Melbourne Cup etc.
  • Huge bonus bet incentives (>$10k)
  • Dedicated phone line to account management team to negotiate markets etc.
  • Milked dry, they don't care about your personal circumstances. You could be Elon or you could be Barry the plumber but if you run out of cash they'll boot you from the platform

Low wagers/High win rate:
  • Promo 'abuse' bans
  • Delays in bet acceptance (Alerts come up on traders screens before they can be approved)

High wagers/Low win rate:
  • Removal from platform
  • If no removal, same as Low wagers/High win rate

Very high wagers/High win rate:
  • Heavily biased market movement based on their wagers
  • Delays in bet acceptance for bets over X amount

With a multitude of ways to bet on the Brownlow….this sorta thing is probably more rife than people think.
Those who bet properly on the Browlow will tell you that the number of exotic markets in the Brownlow Medal market is staggering to say the least.

The only reason why I am shocked whilst I am sitting here is that it hasn't been announced before. In the UK, spread betting is a significant form of betting and really exotic markets have appeared...

In the 90's, an English soccer team kicked the ball straight out over the side line from the start of the match. Normally your team mates would call you a muppet but they all appeared excited as they had gone short on the timing of the first throw-in.

Matt Le Tissier in his book "taking Le Tiss" says he also tried to do this (without a payout this time) and a Malaysian syndicate rigged up remote controls on the lighting to abort EPL games after half time. As Richie Benaud said... "Don't bet on anything that can talk"

It's time to look at the Brownlow voting. A 3, 2, 1 system is not statistically or factually correct. A player is not a third better than the next player.

If we have four field umpires next year, all should get a vote. Make it that five players receive votes from each umpire and only on the CB night, do you sum the votes up and then recalibrate it into a standard single 5,4,3,2,1 per game. If two players receive the same raw score then the seniority of the umpire dictates the order.

In this way, you reduce the chance of rogue operators having a significant input, have a better method of calculating the best and fairest and the ability to trace individual voting patterns.

Those who bet properly on the Browlow will tell you that the number of exotic markets in the Brownlow Medal market is staggering to say the least.
Yeah some of it is ridiculous.

It has become a massive betting event, and this year Sportsbet with N Brown's paid placement took it to new level with yoyo odds trying to get as many irrational bettors to get on as much as possible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back