News Buddy Franklin wants to be traded to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's similarities though to how his trade to Sydney happened....near everyone thought he'd be going to GWS, the Swans move was a shock.
This might well be a shock to Sydney, he's potentially 'pulled the trigger' slightly earlier most likely due to his age by leaking the rumour but it doesn't come across to me as out of character....keeps his cards close to his chest before winning the pot.

What Healy meant was the premise of the article hinged on the fact that Franklin has informed the club he wants out.

He hasn't told us anything.

There might not be any truth to the rumour but I'd disagree that her strategy isn't smart.
She'd be fully aware that Franklin's value to a club isn't only what he does on the field, the positivity for crowd numbers, increased membership and merchandise sales would be financially beneficial to Brisbane.
I'm unsure of Sydney's offer but if it's reported to be $500,000 for one year then this strategy might force them to offer $500,000 for two years.
Alternatively they might increase it to $700,000 for one year.
If he goes to Brisbane then we know that in order for Brisbane to get him they'll need to offer more than Sydney's offer, prizing any player away from their club nearly always result in you paying overs most definitely if your a once in a generation type player.
It's a fairly standard strategy, but in this instance, IMO, it just sounds a bit hollow. It would work in a lot of cases, especially for a younger player chasing their first big deal, or with ties to another state/team. Not sure it works for a 36yo looking for probably one more year, coming off a massive contract. I don't see them uprooting their lives at this stage for the sake of 1 extra year of footy and a difference of around $200k.
If Jesinta wants to establish herself as a player agent, Sydney is a decent city to be based in, compared to Brisbane. You also have to consider that the $500k is worth more to them now, with the agent fees staying in their pocket.

This is a big audition for her to the rest of league. Trying to make herself look like a viable option as a manager to other players. I can see what she's trying to do, but if they end up settling on Sydney for 1 year at $500k, it won't look great on her resume.

Saw an article saying "Franklin wants flags", well, sorry mate. Could had that at the Hawks.
Don't think there's many clubs in their window who need a 36yo KPF at a half a million a year? Would be garbage list management from Brisbane to sign him in any case.

As an aside, Jesinta seems like a total dolt.
If he was really after flags, he'd have signed up already for 1yr at $400k. Giving Swans more wriggle room to retain younger players, or make a play for another player who could fill a void.
Buddy wants cash. He's entitled to that of course, but that's all it is.

It's a fairly standard strategy, but in this instance, IMO, it just sounds a bit hollow. It would work in a lot of cases, especially for a younger player chasing their first big deal, or with ties to another state/team. Not sure it works for a 36yo looking for probably one more year, coming off a massive contract. I don't see them uprooting their lives at this stage for the sake of 1 extra year of footy and a difference of around $200k.
If Jesinta wants to establish herself as a player agent, Sydney is a decent city to be based in, compared to Brisbane. You also have to consider that the $500k is worth more to them now, with the agent fees staying in their pocket.

This is a big audition for her to the rest of league. Trying to make herself look like a viable option as a manager to other players. I can see what she's trying to do, but if they end up settling on Sydney for 1 year at $500k, it won't look great on her resume.
Yeah all your points are valid, I find the whole debate really fascinating.
The one thing that I think that some people might have overlooked or have yet to bring up is Franklin's ability to perform under pressure. His timing to kick his 1000th at the S.C.G on a night when it was expected is testament to his ability to handle pressure.
His game against Richmond later in the year, he stood up and arguably was the difference between Sydney winning and losing.
With Sydney likely to go deep in finals, it wouldn't surprise me if Franklin has set the goal to 'tear up' a few of those games. The Michael Jordan, Wayne Carey, Jason Akermanis, Lance Franklin type athletes often thrive and invite pressure upon themselves to perform during the high pressure moments, that's what makes them champions.
If Franklin kicks 4-5 goals and gets Sydney over the line in a final then he'd hold a pretty strong ability to renegotiate in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah all your points are valid, I find the whole debate really fascinating.
The one thing that I think that some people might have overlooked or have yet to bring up is Franklin's ability to perform under pressure. His timing to kick his 1000th at the S.C.G on a night when it was expected is testament to his ability to handle pressure.
His game against Richmond later in the year, he stood up and arguably was the difference between Sydney winning and losing.
With Sydney likely to go deep in finals, it wouldn't surprise me if Franklin has set the goal to 'tear up' a few of those games. The Michael Jordan, Wayne Carey, Jason Akermanis, Lance Franklin type athletes often thrive and invite pressure upon themselves to perform during the high pressure moments, that's what makes them champions.
If Franklin kicks 4-5 goals and gets Sydney over the line in a final then he'd hold a pretty strong ability to renegotiate in my opinion.
While I agree with most of your post, can I ask the Sydney fans how many games this year have they won with Franklin in the team vs him not being on the ground..?

From the Sydney games I've watched this season, purely from a neutral perspective, the Swans footy appears to be as good whether Franklin is playing or not... Sure, you'd never leave out the great man from the team if he's fit to play, but I've not seen any huge difference in the Swans performances with or without him.

Accordingly, in a World of 'Who needs who" which predominately determines all our lives, would Franklin really be such a great loss..?

If he was really after flags, he'd have signed up already for 1yr at $400k. Giving Swans more wriggle room to retain younger players, or make a play for another player who could fill a void.
Buddy wants cash. He's entitled to that of course, but that's all it is.
mercenary

Franklins have just bought an apartment at Kirra on the Gold Coast so I'm thinking - GC are now holding $650k earmarked for Rankine who is moving to us so there's your money for Franklin.

Just what GC need - a crowd puller and a senior player to guide them into a finals campaign in 2023

Last edited:
I'd love to see him playing for the lions or the dees next year
Not sure he'd really help us, our game plan revolves around defence. I'd rather spread 500k of our cap to hold onto players like hunt or bowey or rivers who are on the edge of our best 22.

If this actually happens, it will only work out if we move Hipwood into defence. Otherwise we'll be crippled by the same lack of speed that destroyed us against Richmond. But it might just be a BS rumour.
Who is the worse shot Daniher or Hipwood?

Is it curious that buddy has told the swans he's leaving right in the middle of the crows camp s**t storm

Unlikely correlation, as the story derived from a Ch.9 Brisbane based reporter not known outside his own street...

I think it would be unfortunate for a player of Franklin's calibre to play at three clubs.
I don't think it really matters once you've left your first club, tbh. Same as with Ablett Jr and Judd - their legacies at that particular club aren't regarded as well as they should be, simply because they "only" gave half their career for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back