News Buddy Franklin wants to be traded to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whole heap of bull$hit. Will stay a Swan till retirement
Concur - story derived from fairytales of a Ch.9 Brisbane based reporter and as usual falsely promoted as "Breaking News!", ha ha...

When asked on radio yesterday about this, Tom Harley responded; "really, that's news to me!"

Related, due to the demand for daily content that the industry itself has created, how many AFL media reports these days are not/not predominately rumour/speculation - very few I suggest..?

Last edited:
You never say no to getting a superstar but it does beg the question whether Brisbane need a another key forward (a 36 year old one at that)
... but he's not a superstar any more.

He's a good full-forward now, but not a premiership grade tall forward. Two to three goals a game is a good output, but it comes with significant caveats:
  • He's the number one target in the Sydney forward line by a long way - sorry Sam Reid and Logan McDonald
  • He doesn't provide much else in the way that he used to, i.e. pushing up the ground.

I don't think he's going to find it any easier if he's competing with Hipwood and Daniher.

36 was the year when Ablett Jr found out that he'd turned back into Clark Kent for good.

If he leaves he's a grub. Got payed for years on the sidelines
I think that's a bit much, given that he was contracted to the age of 35 some injuries are to be expected.

Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion that the original nine-year contract was simply a way to spread out that 10 million/year over the salary cap, without an expectation that he would actually play the whole contract through. The Swans may have been betting that with the explosion in TV revenue and continual growth of the game, that the salary cap would inflate significantly and they'd be able to eat Buddy's wage in the future.

I don't believe this "rumour" for a second. It's just Jesinta positioning for more money from Swans.
She's not very good at what she's doing (to be expected for someone starting out as a player manager) and her moves are very blatant and obvious. Going on a morning show and saying they have options, now this.

Rate this highly from Brisbane. Need to keep topping up while you have a prime Lachie Neale, Andrews, Daniher, Mccluggage.

Handy forward line.

I think that's a bit much, given that he was contracted to the age of 35 some injuries are to be expected.

Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion that the original nine-year contract was simply a way to spread out that 10 million/year over the salary cap, without an expectation that he would actually play the whole contract through. The Swans may have been betting that with the explosion in TV revenue and continual growth of the game, that the salary cap would inflate significantly and they'd be able to eat Buddy's wage in the future.
He wasn’t 35 when he sat on his arse for near on 2 years and was paid handsomely to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiership grade tall forward ? So if Sydney win the flag this year and he is in the 22 regardless of hitting the scoreboard or not he is not premiership grade ? Oh ! Sorry that’s right Cats are winning it all.
Fine, I'll re-phrase - a top-line full forward, or an A-grade full forward. For what it's worth, I don't think Shannon Byrnes is a "premiership grade" forward pocket, he just played in two of them.

Franklin, Hipwood, Daniher does not really strike me as a well balanced forward line. Not sure how well that structure would function.
One reason why I think this leak has come from Camp Buddy to scare Sydney into paying up. Kind of like pointing out the hot guy at the bar to your boyfriend.

One reason why I think this leak has come from Camp Buddy to scare Sydney into paying up. Kind of like pointing out the hot guy at the bar to your boyfriend.
Concur. BTW, thinking out loud I once pointed out a hot girl at the bar to the wife. While it's my worst faux pas during our 25 years of marriage, it remains in the top 3..!

I don't believe this "rumour" for a second. It's just Jesinta positioning for more money from Swans.
She's not very good at what she's doing (to be expected for someone starting out as a player manager) and her moves are very blatant and obvious. Going on a morning show and saying they have options, now this.
There might not be any truth to the rumour but I'd disagree that her strategy isn't smart.
She'd be fully aware that Franklin's value to a club isn't only what he does on the field, the positivity for crowd numbers, increased membership and merchandise sales would be financially beneficial to Brisbane.
I'm unsure of Sydney's offer but if it's reported to be $500,000 for one year then this strategy might force them to offer $500,000 for two years.
Alternatively they might increase it to $700,000 for one year.
If he goes to Brisbane then we know that in order for Brisbane to get him they'll need to offer more than Sydney's offer, prizing any player away from their club nearly always result in you paying overs most definitely if your a once in a generation type player.

Last edited:
Contract negotiation 101. Always have interest elsewhere- a high demand player commands a higher price. He will stay in Sydney who will offer him more dollar$.

She'd be fully aware that Franklin's value to a club isn't only what he does on the field, the positivity for crowd numbers, increased membership and merchandise sales would be financially beneficial to Brisbane.
I think that'd be a more valid point if Brisbane were struggling, in the same way that Plugger brought people to Sydney. But they're not - they need a flag more than they need a 36yo Franklin.

Gerald Healy who has close contacts with the club has repeatedly said its bullshit.

“That’s all I know. If this is true, he hasn’t informed the Swans.

“That element of it is untrue which then tends to tell me that most of it’s untrue.
There's similarities though to how his trade to Sydney happened....near everyone thought he'd be going to GWS, the Swans move was a shock.
This might well be a shock to Sydney, he's potentially 'pulled the trigger' slightly earlier most likely due to his age by leaking the rumour but it doesn't come across to me as out of character....keeps his cards close to his chest before winning the pot.

Saw an article saying "Franklin wants flags", well, sorry mate. Could had that at the Hawks.
Don't think there's many clubs in their window who need a 36yo KPF at a half a million a year? Would be garbage list management from Brisbane to sign him in any case.

As an aside, Jesinta seems like a total dolt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back