Bulldogs and Giants to meet again in a final - was their 2016 meeting the greatest game ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scintillating from start to finish.
The ultimate underdog against the AFL's pet.
GWS go on to become the greatest team on paper never to win a flag.
We narrowly dodge an all-NSW Grand Final.
Would have been the best Rugby game ever.

That rivalry between about 2013-17 was also threatening to becoming a generational best. Hopefully Giants-Dogs intensity is rekindled in this elimination.

Was absolutely gutted for the Giants at the time, really felt like a flag gone begging (and they didn't receive much sympathy at the time as well given the opponent and new franchise leg-ups). An All NSW Grand Final in 2016 would have been an all-timer imo, both sides were scary at that point in time.

The 2016 Qualifying Final at ANZ between the Swans & GWS was played in front of 62,000 people and to my mind was the biggest
single game of footy ever played in Sydney. The build up to that game here in Sydney was massive. They even had images of the
players projected onto the pylons of the Sydney Harbour Bridge all week prior. It was very cool. It was a brutal game with GWS
coming out on top and meeting up with the Dogs at the then Spotless Stadium two weeks later for that classic. Meanwhile the
Swans wiped out their next two opponents (Adelaide & Geelong) in the finals series at the SCG. Both Sydney teams were at the peak
of their powers that year, and unfortunately couldn't meet in the GF where at least one Sydney team would have won.
Football in Sydney has not reached the heights of those four games played over three weekends since.

Greatest of all time is not something you can single out. Some games are brilliant to watch but promised nothing before hand. But in terms of The Best AFL games ever, the criteria first involves the story and lead up, the showbiz of the clash if you will. Most games that promise as much as that generally fizzle out or become blow outs. But on the rare occasions they deliver in spades and that i feel qualifies them as one to stick in the greatest pile.

Prelim Dogs-Giants 2016 will allways be mentioned with, perhaps a dozen other games that can genuinely be remembered in the last 50 years for instance to have stopped the nation and then left them speechless. It was a dead set ripper where there was no give from either side for 120 minutes.

Last edited:
This is where you really get a good gauge on the superstars. Bontempelli likes this stage as does Toby Greene. So many subplots and the atmosphere is like nothing else.
Best time of the year for mind.
Should be another classic match as I firmly believe the Giants put the cue in the rack at halftime of round 22.

the cue was put somewhere, but it was the dogs that put it there.

Best is subjective, but one of the most exciting games I've seen, partly due to the build up and fairytale story. Watched with my Bulldogs supporting mate on TV and I was cheering way harder than him haha. Never wanted a team not called the Eagles to win as much as the Dogs. Luke Darcy and Libba going nuts was great to see too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in Footscray, where I've lived most of the time I've been in Melbourne since moving here in 2013, so was at ground zero. Red, white and blue, Bulldogs posters everywhere, so it was so tangible, so real, from the supporters. 62 years, before most supporters were even born, before television arrived in Australia. 2016 was the first Bulldogs GF even broadcast on TV!

Too painful to watch again.

Empathise with that sentiment on the basis that Ive been on the other end of not wanting to watch many PF games for similar reasons.

One of the better recent finals games and a massive story attached to the games narrative be it whoever wins, Dogs first GF in 55 years, or GWSs first in their history, the prize at stake was enormous for both clubs, plus the off field s**t between the two clubs with Griffen/Boyd etc weighing in too. But no way it was a GOAT game.

Anyways, let's see what round 2 of this brings up

Always thought the 94 Prelim Final between Geelong and North was the greatest game I have ever seen. That game was so good, had it all.
Yep, good shout

Looking like a draw/extra time until Gazza reads it quicker than Martyn and gets in front of Martyn to the drop of the footy to take arguably the most important mark of his career.

JJ running past a dozen tired players, then Bont's goal was the highlight.

Clay's 4 goals as well.

I remember turning down meeting with friends to stay home to watch this match.

Made it to Post 40 before the U word was mentioned 😄
I only remember one stand out incident from the umpires very late in the game when Scully should’ve received a 50m Free.

Can’t pot the umps for keeping the whistle in their pocket so late in the game with so much at stake.

Had a ball watching it with my Doggies mate at his joint in St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back