Even the Adelaide coach couldn't find a vote for Reilly O'Brien:

AFLCA votes vs Adelaide

• Bailey Smith (WB) – 10 votes
  • Tom Liberatore (WB) – 6
  • Bailey Dale (WB) – 6
  • Liam Jones (WB) – 4
  • Caleb Daniel (WB) – 2
  • Tim English (WB) – 2

Both coaches had Liam Jones in the best 5 players on the ground. Correctly, I might add! :)

Both coaches had Liam Jones in the best 5 players on the ground. Correctly, I might add! :)
Maybe. The following is a possible voting pattern that also fits the combined totals:

COACH A
5. Smith
4. Jones L
3. Libba
2. Dale
1. Daniel

COACH B
5. Smith
4. Dale
3. Libba
2. English
1. Daniel

Pre Clearance Contested Possession
WB: 55
AD: 60

Post Clearance Contested Possession
WB: 109
AD: 69
This is what teams would do to us and it is great to see we have a better inside outside mix. Is it because we have a bit more leg speed in the team or perhaps more mature bodies?

Pre Clearance Contested Possession
WB: 55
AD: 60

Post Clearance Contested Possession
WB: 109
AD: 69
It was clear to me whenever adelaide got the ball from clearance there was instant pressure on them causing them to move at least 1 step back to go forwards. This causes shallow entry and turnover further in our half. Easier to transition and score. So a lot of their clearance wasnt relevant.

It was clear to me whenever adelaide got the ball from clearance there was instant pressure on them causing them to move at least 1 step back to go forwards. This causes shallow entry and turnover further in our half. Easier to transition and score. So a lot of their clearance wasnt relevant.
That's what it looked like on TV, not all clearances are the same. There is Melbourne just waltzing out against us with overlapping run and there is what Adelaide faced against us.

A few people have reported that Naughton getting legged didn't get a free on several occasions recently because (we are told) it started as a legal tackle and just slipped down to his legs as Naughton wriggled free.

Anyone who swallowed that story should have a look at the Liam Jones tackle with 17:10 to go in the final quarter. Started at the hips and slipped down as the Adelaide player tried to break free. Result? "Free kick! Trip."

FFS AFL, just decide which way you're going to adjudicate it and pay it consistently. Don't change the interpretation just because the transgression happens to be in the goal square.

On the other hand Naughton got away with one when he clearly pushed the Adelaide defender in the back a few minutes later. The play resulted in a free kick and goal to Bontempelli a minute or two later. Naughton has gone unrewarded when illegally dealt with so often that he must have decided if he can't get justice playing within the rules he might as well cross over to the dark side. After all, it works for Hawkins so why not join him?

Again, the integrity and credibility of the game suffer because of blatant inconsistency in the way the umpires interpret the rules. Another example is when they "put the whistle away" late in a final.

I'm not blaming the umpires specifically. It's more the way they are instructed to officiate.

A few people have reported that Naughton getting legged didn't get a free on several occasions recently because (we are told) it started as a legal tackle and just slipped down to his legs as Naughton wriggled free.

Anyone who swallowed that story should have a look at the Liam Jones tackle with 17:10 to go in the final quarter. Started at the hips and slipped down as the Adelaide player tried to break free. Result? "Free kick! Trip."

FFS AFL, just decide which way you're going to adjudicate it and pay it consistently. Don't change the interpretation just because the transgression happens to be in the goal square.

On the other hand Naughton got away with one when he clearly pushed the Adelaide defender in the back a few minutes later. The play resulted in a free kick and goal to Bontempelli a minute or two later. Naughton has gone unrewarded when illegally dealt with so often that he must have decided if he can't get justice playing within the rules he might as well cross over to the dark side. After all, it works for Hawkins so why not join him?

Again, the integrity and credibility of the game suffer because of blatant inconsistency in the way the umpires interpret the rules. Another example is when they "put the whistle away" late in a final.

I'm not blaming the umpires specifically. It's more the way they are instructed to officiate.

The Jones one he even tried to let go as soon as he knew the tackle was slipping, a couple of our boys have had their ankles fully grabbed with no frees lol

The Jones one he even tried to let go as soon as he knew the tackle was slipping, a couple of our boys have had their ankles fully grabbed with no frees lol

Yep I was one of those who reported the Naughton non free justifications and let out an almighty WTF?!? when Jones got pinged for less. Just like when they tried to “legalise” Greene’s kick to Dahlhaus’ head as protecting himself going for the ball, ( and yet that has never been a remotely common way to stop someone tackling you after receiving a handball), Naughton’s non trips seem to have invented a new interpretation I’ve never heard of before or since.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back