Bye bye Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingsley most definately didn't inherit a stable list.

GWS all time leading goal kicker had just left.

He lost two of his best young midfielders and the likes of Coniglio and Kelly were considered just about cooked.

It's great recruitment in hindsight, but Hogan's recruitment was scoffed at to replace Cameron.

Now, you may have completely etched the Stephenson, Phillips, Treloar, Grundy saga out of your mind. But the Pies were under massive salary cap problems, had traded away future picks as part the Beams disaster trade and finished second last to us with 6 wins. The year prior Buckley snuck them into the 8 with 9 wins.

They traded Pick 2 for 24, 30 and 45 in the end. They lucked out with Daicos. We took JHF.

But then proceeded to recruit Lipinski, Hill, Frampton and even still managed to lose a recent R1 pick in that time (Henry).

Most were predicting a massive time down the bottom for Collingwood at the end of 2021.
GWS core group: Kelly, Whitfield, Briggs, Ward, Coniglio, Greene, Green, Taylor, Ash, Himmelburg, Cumming, Buckley, Haynes, Daniels, Perryman, Idun, and recently added Callaghan, Bedford and Cadman.

Pies core group: Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, DeGoey, Maynard, Howe, Moore, J. Daicos, Cameron, Crisp, Elliot, Cox, Hoskin-Elliot, Quaynor, Mitchell, McCreery, Mihocek, Ginnavan, Murphy and recently added N. Daicos, Hill, McStay and Lipinski.

Clubs inevitably turn over players and have small hiccups, but the core leadership, experience and class already established over 7 years prior in each club above meant my mum could coach those sides to finals..

To compare what Clarko inherited to those two is laughable.

This is the point though, we aren't at "When Clarko came on". That was almost 2 ******* years ago. He's had 2 drafts with 7 x Round 1 draft picks as well as 2 trade weeks, of which he had multiple PP's at his disposal to start to right the ship.

I think you will find neither of GWS or Collingwood had 1/10 of the draft collateral he has had either during his tenure either.

The frustration isn't born from us being absolutely s**t (well it is...), the main frustration is he hasn't moved the needle AT ALL, despite plenty of time at his disposal.

We are arguably as bad as we were last year, maybe even worse to this point. We are 0-4 with a % of 59% and no likely wins in the near future.

Our fitness levels still suck.

He's recruited and continually playing soft players.

etc etc.

Now, the next discussion point is value for money. He is one of the highest coaches in the league at the moment and hand on heart, I don't think he's providing us any more value than the right rookie coach would be giving us at the moment on 1/4 of the wage in my opnion.

He's on as much notice as the players until the end of the season. I really couldn't give a * what he did 10 years ago for Hawthorn, you judge him on merit, here. He's been bad, very very bad. To date.

I don't know where to start with your last few posts, but in simple terms this is what Clarkson doesn't have on matchdays.

Dependable and experienced players over 25.
  • Greene
  • Green (Edit: he's only 23, seriously though look at the size of him)
  • Whitfield
  • Kelly
  • Ward
  • Taylor
  • Coniglio
  • Hogan
  • Himmelberg
Also like us they have a shitload of talent under 25 as well. So regardless of whether you think those older guys are in or out of their peak, they make comparing North and GWS pointless. It doesn't matter if we have had 7 or 17 first round picks in the past 2 years.

GWS core group: Kelly, Whitfield, Briggs, Ward, Coniglio, Greene, Haynes, Green, Taylor, Ash, Himmelburg, Cumming, Buckley, Haynes, Daniels, Perryman, Idun, and recently add Callaghan, Bedford and Cadman.

Pies core group: Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, DeGoey, Maynard, Howe, Moore, J. Daicos, Cameron, Crisp, Elliot, Cox, Hoskin-Elliot, Quaynor, Mitchell, McCreery, Mihocek, Ginnavan, Murphy and recently added N. Daicos, Hill, McStay and Lipinski.

List inevitably turn over players and have small hiccups, but the core leadership, experience and class already established over 7 years prior in each club above meant my mum could coach those sides to finals..

To compare what Clarko inherited to those two is laughable.

And yet, that same Collingwood core finished 17th in 2021.

The same GWS core finished 16th in 2022.

Half the players you listed from GWS were in the wilderness or nobodies when Kingsley took over. The likes of Briggs, Idun, Buckley were in the VFL. Himmelberg was a forward and Coniglio was cooked.

Their previous coaches couldn't get the same results than their current ones.

Does this core look terrible that Clarko inherits?

Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington, Simpkin, Larkey, LDU, McKay, Zurhaar, McDonald, Greenwood, Thomas, Logue, Stephenson, Shiels, Scott, Hall, Xerri?

w/ Sheezel, Wardlaw, Powell, Phillips, Comben, Goater, Curtis, Ford as young players at his disposal?

One thing is for sure, with the amount of young talent on the list at the moment, failure will not reflect well on Clarko on reflection in 5-10 years imo with some names at his disposal currently.

Half the players you listed from GWS were in the wilderness or nobodies when Kingsley took over. The likes of Briggs, Idun, Buckley were in the VFL. Himmelberg was a forward and Coniglio was cooked.

Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington, Simpkin, Larkey, LDU, McKay, Zurhaar, McDonald, Greenwood, Thomas, Logue, Stephenson, Shiels, Scott, Hall, Xerri?

w/ Sheezel, Wardlaw, Powell, Phillips, Comben, Goater, Curtis, Ford as young players at his disposal?

One thing is for sure, with the amount of young talent on the list at the moment, failure will not reflect well on Clarko on reflection in 5-10 years imo with some names at his disposal currently.

The same Collingwood core that won a final in 2020? The same GWS core that won a final in 2021? And both had played in GFs 2 years before that.

Does the core Clarko inherited look terrible? Yep. Sure does. It's a core that had won the previous two wooden spoons.

.....Yes?

I mean it's not terrible, but lets go through it.
  • Goldstein was great for North for a long time but his impact had waned in 2023. Struggling now.
  • Ziebell was absolutely cooked last year.
  • Cunnington had his last 2 years devastated by Cancer.
  • (bunch of young and talented 20-24 year olds kids)
  • Luke McDonald
  • Shiels is almost there for leadership only at this point
  • Hall....done
  • Tarryn Thomas.... Really?
  • w/ (bunch of really young and really talented kids)

I don't know where to start with your last few posts, but in simple terms this is what Clarkson doesn't have on matchdays.

Dependable and experienced players over 25.
  • Greene
  • Green (Edit: he's only 23, seriously though look at the size of him)
  • Whitfield
  • Kelly
  • Ward
  • Taylor
  • Coniglio
  • Hogan
  • Himmelberg
Also like us they have a shitload of talent under 25 as well. So regardless of whether you think those older guys are in or out of their peak, they make comparing North and GWS pointless. It doesn't matter if we have had 7 or 17 first round picks in the past 2 years.

I'm not saying they are out of their peak, I'm giving credit to Kingsley, which you seem to think is/was just automatic and a foregone conclusion.

Himmelberg was a flakey 3rd tall forward when he took over.

Coniglio averaged 14 touches a game the year prior he took over.

Similarly, Josh Kelly came off the worst season of his career, averaging 22 touches a game.

Jesse Hogan - Lol are we going here?

Ward has played 1 game this season.

Green - He's an enormous talent, but is he any different to the enormous midfield talent a year older that Clarko has at his disposal called LDU? No.

Where is the same uplift in our senior core under Clarko??

Where's the uplift in Simpkin? McDonald? Zurhaar? Scott? McKay? etc etc? Has he got noticable uplift in his recruits like Stephens, Tucker, Fisher?

LDU is stagnating.

The only player that has taken his game to a new level under Clarko is Larkey and to a lesser degree Powell.

He gets absolutely no credit for the likes of Sheezel, Wardlaw etc. They are essentially the same players they entered the system as.

Have we seen the likes of Ford, Taylor, Curtis, Stevo, Zurhaar etc explode into top grade AFL players like Kingsley has managed to extract out of Buckley, Himmelberg, Daniels, Brown, Briggs? No.

The same Collingwood core that won a final in 2020? The same GWS core that won a final in 2021? And both had played in GFs 2 years before that.

Does the core Clarko inherited look terrible? Yep. Sure does. It's a core that had won the previous two wooden spoons.

That's why there's a weighting to my opinion.

We aren't comparing 16th GWS to 18th North Melbourne though are we?

We are comparing historically horrific North Melbourne (who hasn't improved under Clarko's 18 months in charge to date) vs 1 x Premier and 1 x Premiership favourite.

4-5 wins shouldn't be an unrealistic expectation, at the moment it seems like that.

That is a major problem 18 months in.

That's why there's a weighting to my opinion.

We aren't comparing 16th GWS to 18th North Melbourne though are we?

We are comparing historically horrific North Melbourne (who hasn't improved under Clarko's 18 months in charge to date) vs 1 x Premier and 1 x Premiership favourite.

4-5 wins shouldn't be an unrealistic expectation, at the moment it seems like that.

That is a major problem 18 months in.

We aren't. You are. Remember?

It’s kind of irrelevant.

But. The counter argument is Kingsley and McRae as rookie coaches have both turned recent bottom two sides into contenders, quickly. We competed for spoons with both.

This is the point though, we aren't at "When Clarko came on". That was almost 2 ******* years ago. He's had 2 drafts with 7 x Round 1 draft picks as well as 2 trade weeks, of which he had multiple PP's at his disposal to start to right the ship.

I think you will find neither of GWS or Collingwood had 1/10 of the draft collateral he has had either during his tenure either.

The frustration isn't born from us being absolutely s**t (well it is...), the main frustration is he hasn't moved the needle AT ALL, despite plenty of time at his disposal.

We are arguably as bad as we were last year, maybe even worse to this point. We are 0-4 with a % of 59% and no likely wins in the near future.

Our fitness levels still suck.

He's recruited and continually playing soft players.

etc etc.

Now, the next discussion point is value for money. He is one of the highest paid coaches in the league at the moment and hand on heart, I don't think he's providing us any more value than the right rookie coach would be giving us at the moment on 1/4 of the wage in my opnion.

He's on as much notice as the players until the end of the season. I really couldn't give a * what he did 10 years ago for Hawthorn, you judge him on merit, here. He's been bad, very very bad. To date.

You want a good stat? Clarkson loses the next 3 games and David Noble will become a more successful NMFC coach than him in terms of win %. The list is immeasurably more talented now than it was in 2021 also.
2 years ago? F**k me, round up enough. ‘He is pretty much half way through his contract…’
He announced August 2022 and he could do f all at that stage apart from review games being played to finish another putrid year. We all know the mess of last year and him missing games, but to say 2 years, f**k me dead.

What does having early picks the last 2 years have to do with performance now?
Do you think he didn’t get those picks right? Or should we of traded them for players who wouldn’t come?

‘plenty of time at his disposal’. Have I missed a year or something. What’s happening? Where am I?

Maybe the Gold Coast game (and they played with cue in the rack), and the swans game, but nothing last year looked as good as the first half of the freo game this year. Nothing. I don’t know the pressure rating, or the inside 50’s, or the efficiency of the backman….or whatever. It certainly passed the eye test. And I get one half ain’t enough.

No one had us winning any of these first games, or at best, maybe knocking off freo. Let’s see us around opposition as poor as us.

The fitness thing is a dicey one. Do we looked cooked in games. Yes. Mainly because we keep turning the ball over (because half the blokes can’t kick or hand ball) when blokes have busted their arse to get into space. You get more and more buggered chasing arse. St Kilda did the biggest pre-season running ever seen this year, and in the bombers game they were cooked because they chased arse for the whole last quarter and when they got their chance with the pill, they would cough it up.

Who cares about how much they are paying Clarkson. The club could turn around and say they are paying him 30 mill a year and it would mean f**k all. We have to pay him overs, as he would have come to our club when we are as pathetic as we are. And when you want him given the arse at the end of this season, which you will count as his 7th, we will have to pay overs for the next bloke who comes along, and I tell ya what, if are so poor that we give Clarko the arse, imagine the pool of coaches who will want to come.

My expectations weren't a prelim by 2024 from Clarko. Get it?

Do you think he's doing a good job at the moment?

Do you think the results, the game plan, the on field development is acceptable at the moment?

I think at this point in time, Clarkson doing a good job doesn’t necessarily equal wins just yet.

The idea that he’s no longer a good coach in 2024 or has lost it is ridiculous to me. I know some disagree with that.

Have a read of this

Now I’m not suggesting North are ready to win 3 Premierships in the next few years, but it’s a good example of perceived external views based on current performance.

2 years ago? F**k me, round up enough. ‘He is pretty much half way through his contract…’
He announced August 2022 and he could do f all at that stage apart from review games being played to finish another putrid year. We all know the mess of last year and him missing games, but to say 2 years, f**k me dead.

What does having early picks the last 2 years have to do with performance now?
Do you think he didn’t get those picks right? Or should we of traded them for players who wouldn’t come?

‘plenty of time at his disposal’. Have I missed a year or something. What’s happening? Where am I?

Maybe the Gold Coast game (and they played with cue in the rack), and the swans game, but nothing last year looked as good as the first half of the freo game this year. Nothing. I don’t know the pressure rating, or the inside 50’s, or the efficiency of the backman….or whatever. It certainly passed the eye test. And I get one half ain’t enough.

No one had us winning any of these first games, or at best, maybe knocking off freo. Let’s see us around opposition as poor as us.

The fitness thing is a dicey one. Do we looked cooked in games. Yes. Mainly because we keep turning the ball over (because half the blokes can’t kick or hand ball) when blokes have busted their arse to get into space. You get more and more buggered chasing arse. St Kilda did the biggest pre-season running ever seen this year, and in the bombers game they were cooked because they chased arse for the whole last quarter and when they got their chance with the pill, they would cough it up.

Who cares about how much they are paying Clarkson. The club could turn around and say they are paying him 30 mill a year and it would mean f**k all. We have to pay him overs, as he would have come to our club when we are as pathetic as we are. And when you want him given the arse at the end of this season, which you will count as his 7th, we will have to pay overs for the next bloke who comes along, and I tell ya what, if are so poor that we give Clarko the arse, imagine the pool of coaches who will want to come.

What are you talking about?

He started at North on November 1 2022, he coached Rnd 1 of 2023.

He's had the reigns for 2 x preseason, the key times for physical improvement and embedding game plan and tactical ideas.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aMy expectations weren't a prelim by 2024 from Clarko. Get it?

Do you think he's doing a good job at the moment?

Do you think the results, the game plan, the on field development is acceptable at the moment?

No. It's not. It's about where I think a list where everyone bar six made their debut for the club less than 5 years ago should be. A list where Tom Powell this weekend becomes the 8th player on the list to play 50 games for the club. A list that has been battered physically and mentally by systemic incompetence since before almost all of them got to the place. A list still rooting out the scars of being perpetual losers so long. Unacceptable but understandable and not unexpected.

Is Clarkson doing a good job at the moment? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that this thread, assuming the OP is serious, is ridiculous. That any comparison to McRae or Kingsley and their clubs is ridiculous. And that whatever quality of job Clarkson is doing at the moment, it's clearing the very low bar of coaching standards that almost everyone on this list has ever experienced before.

I think at this point in time, Clarkson doing a good job doesn’t necessarily equal wins just yet.

The idea that he’s no longer a good coach in 2024 or has lost it is ridiculous to me. I know some disagree with that.

Have a read of this

Now I’m not suggesting North are ready to win 3 Premierships in the next few years, but it’s a good example of perceived external views based on current performance.

I 100% agree with you it's not necessarily about wins.

It's about improvement - I haven't seen much. In fact, we may have regressed.

It's about gains from players, even physically - I haven't seen much.

It's about providing opportunity for development of these young players during his early years - I've seen a hell of alot of Daniel Howe, Kane Turner, Liam Shiels, Darcy Tucker, Hugh Greenwood to this point. Now we are blessed with Dylan Stephens....

It's about a coherent game plan - I've seen an incredibly attacking one which has absolutely no resemblance to any of the best sides in the competition at the moment.

No. It's not. It's about where I think a list where everyone bar six made their debut for the club less than 5 years ago should be. A list where Tom Powell this weekend becomes the 8th player on the list to play 50 games for the club. A list that has been battered physically and mentally by systemic incompetence since before almost all of them got to the place. A list still rooting out the scars of being perpetual losers so long. Unacceptable but understandable and not unexpected.

Is Clarkson doing a good job at the moment? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that this thread, assuming the OP is serious, is ridiculous. That any comparison to McRae or Kingsley and their clubs is ridiculous. And that whatever quality of job Clarkson is doing at the moment, it's clearing the very low bar of coaching standards that almost everyone on this list has ever experienced before.

But weren't those same coaches under the same list talent restrictions? Weren't they also battered physically from the COVID era etc?

Complete cop out to say he's "clearling the very low bar of coaching standards" but delivering exactly the same results after an ample sample period of 2 x preseasons against these apparently horrendous coaching standards.

Shouldn;t there be an automatic uplift in performance.

Lets cut the crap, everyone was crowing on here for that reason, we were "guaranteed" a massive immediate uplift moving from Noble to Clarkson.

It hasn't eventuated, those people or either quite, or actively defending him saying he hasn't had enough time for it. Laughable.

Last edited:
What are you talking about?

He started at North on November 1 2022, he coached Rnd 1 of 2023.

Is that ‘almost’ 2 years? The 1st of Nov 2024 is over 6 months away.

So instead of saying ‘he has been here a year and a half’ like any normal person would, you said ‘almost 2 years’ so it sounds like he has been here for ages.

Is that ‘almost’ 2 years? The 1st of Nov 2024 is over 6 months away.

So instead of saying ‘he has been here a year and a half’ like any normal person would, you said ‘almost 2 years’ so it sounds like he has been here for ages.

He's been here for the time that matters to any coach during a 2 season period.

2 x Preseasons.

You don't implement game plans between Rnd 9 and Rnd 20 during a season.

Players barely train mid season, they are maintaining match fitness week on week.

He's had North for 2 x preseasons. In November it will still be 2 x preseasons.

The game plan is clear, it is just horrendous.

If this is what his fitness regime is meant to look like, it can get in the tip also.

His message so far this year after absolutely no accountability at match selection? "We just have to push on and endure it"

Last edited:
We don't have angry Clarko any more. We have soft, cuddly Clarko who may have very well had all energy sucked out of him by the racism investigation. Who knows. His jovial behaviour and even holding the ball shenanigans in the boundary vs Freo last year are just something he never did under Hawthorn when they were challenging.

A massive, massive red flag to me was letting the players pick the captains / leadership group and then we ended up with McDonald and Simpkin and supported by Corr. What that says about Clarko and indeed the playong group says a lot.
sorry mate but this post is a whole load of wank. and even more disappointing that ppl are reading and believing it.

• Players selecting their captain is not a new thing. Only last year the collingwood playing group picked their own in darcy moore. At the end of his third year clarko let the hawks players decide who they wanted and they selected mitchell and hodge. (Instead of having dual captains wankennet vetoed it and selected mitchell. which turned out to be a mistake). The expectation that clarko would / should select the captain is only in your head. and now you're sprouting it as some red flag.

• Offield training standards are the current focus and the players selected captains to suit that. As the young ones grow and we transition to onfield performance the strength of LMac and Simpkin will phase out and the players will select their new captains. None of which are currently experienced enough. I honestly shouldn't need to type all this crap out.

• There was plenty of "jovial" clarko during his rebuild years. and there's plenty of angry clarko in his current years. But in any case there's nothing to back that an angry coach is any better than a happy one. Also noting that men tend to become more "jovial" as they age. Ross Lyon and McRae say hi. Once again using that as some "red flag" to define output is strange as your audience and how they receive a message is all that matters.
This whole thread needs to fk off. It's embarrassing.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they are out of their peak, I'm giving credit to Kingsley, which you seem to think is/was just automatic and a foregone conclusion.

Himmelberg was a flakey 3rd tall forward when he took over.

Coniglio averaged 14 touches a game the year prior he took over.

Similarly, Josh Kelly came off the worst season of his career, averaging 22 touches a game.

Jesse Hogan - Lol are we going here?

Ward has played 1 game this season.

Green - He's an enormous talent, but is he any different to the enormous midfield talent a year older that Clarko has at his disposal called LDU? No.

Where is the same uplift in our senior core under Clarko??

Where's the uplift in Simpkin? McDonald? Zurhaar? Scott? McKay? etc etc? Has he got noticable uplift in his recruits like Stephens, Tucker, Fisher?

LDU is stagnating.

The only player that has taken his game to a new level under Clarko is Larkey and to a lesser degree Powell.

He gets absolutely no credit for the likes of Sheezel, Wardlaw etc. They are essentially the same players they entered the system as.

Have we seen the likes of Ford, Taylor, Curtis, Stevo, Zurhaar etc explode into top grade AFL players like Kingsley has managed to extract out of Buckley, Himmelberg, Daniels, Brown, Briggs? No.
So are you saying Harry and George have not improved since they have been here. Not sure either of them would agree with that.

So are you saying Harry and George have not improved since they have been here. Not sure either of them would agree with that.

Im saying their improvement is natural given they have entered a professional football club.

Sorry, Im attributing Harry Sheezel getting 30 touches in his debut, to Harry Sheezel. Not Alistair Clarkson. Who according to some wasn't even at the club in 2023 apparently.....

But weren't those same coaches under the same list talent restrictions? Weren't they also battered physically from the COVID era etc?

Complete cop out to say he's "clearling the very low bar of coaching standards" but delivering exactly the same results after an ample sample period of 2 x preseasons.

Shaw inherited a way more mature list than this one. It wasn't very good, but it was better. Noble simply couldn't coach and wasted two years of the rebuild and the development of the players he had. On one hand you say "It's not about wins and losses" and then you base your whole point on not winning enough. Pick a lane.

The current list has holes in it everywhere, the talent level of bog awful, the on-field leaders are so poor they're counter productive and the handful of quality players we do have haven't hit 30 games yet and are still showing up to training on their P plates. Yet because we haven't won a game against three of last year's PFs, it's the coach's fault.

Seriously mate, time you and this thread had a spell.

Im saying their improvement is natural given they have entered a professional football club.

Sorry, Im attributing Harry Sheezel getting 30 touches in his debut, to Harry Sheezel. Not Alistair Clarkson. Who according to some wasn't even at the club in 2023 apparently.....
Then maybe it was not Kinsley improving Kelly or Coniglio maybe it was that they where gun players having a down year as plenty of players do.

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back