Opinion Call to Arms!

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Connors

Debutant
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I may be stating the obvious here, and, if so, treat it as a reminder.

After listening to Jordan Lewis on 360 Monday night, he mentioned how ‘intimidated’ he and other team mates were by the crowd when the played West Coast last Friday. IIRC, he actually said that it was uncomfortable leaving their ‘home’ environment of the MCG to play finals. Their performance typified that of a ‘scared’ opposition.

Watching that game, I admit I felt it too. It was eerily similar to our PF against Sydney in 2013 where the noise was so deafening that even the commentators struggled to hear each other.

However, on Saturday against Sydney, I felt we (as a crowd) were a little below our best. Maybe it was the perceived unconvincing performance. Maybe we have higher expectations. Maybe all the media reports are creating a little self-doubt in our team’s ability. I don’t know, but we have lost a ‘little’ of that passion we demonstrate as a crowd. I am also responsible.

Jordan Lewis woke me up.

Playing at Subiaco, we as supporters actually have a role to play. We can influence the result. I know that the Freo community (team, administration and supporters) are still ‘dog hungry’ for the ultimate prize. We need to demonstrate it!

So this is a call to arms!

Commentators have mentioned that Subi is arguably the loudest stadium in Australia. We need to prove it. Put in the effort we expect of our players. Go hard from the first bounce. If we are up and about, make it deafening. If the opposition are getting a run on, dig deep and scream louder. The players should feel the earth move. We ARE the most passionate supporters in the comp. Hawthorn or Adelaide should be petrified to play here.

This is OUR year! Bugger the West, I want the whole bloody thing to be OURS! It’s not just up to the players. Let’s play our part and contribute like no other crowd had done before (including us in 2013). We are lucky enough to have this opportunity.

This is our duty.

I may be stating the obvious here, and, if so, treat it as a reminder.

After listening to Jordan Lewis on 360 Monday night, he mentioned how ‘intimidated’ he and other team mates were by the crowd when the played West Coast last Friday. IIRC, he actually said that it was uncomfortable leaving their ‘home’ environment of the MCG to play finals. Their performance typified that of a ‘scared’ opposition.

Watching that game, I admit I felt it too. It was eerily similar to our PF against Sydney in 2013 where the noise was so deafening that even the commentators struggled to hear each other.

However, on Saturday against Sydney, I felt we (as a crowd) were a little below our best. Maybe it was the perceived unconvincing performance. Maybe we have higher expectations. Maybe all the media reports are creating a little self-doubt in our team’s ability. I don’t know, but we have lost a ‘little’ of that passion we demonstrate as a crowd. I am also responsible.

Jordan Lewis woke me up.

Playing at Subiaco, we as supporters actually have a role to play. We can influence the result. I know that the Freo community (team, administration and supporters) are still ‘dog hungry’ for the ultimate prize. We need to demonstrate it!

So this is a call to arms!

Commentators have mentioned that Subi is arguably the loudest stadium in Australia. We need to prove it. Put in the effort we expect of our players. Go hard from the first bounce. If we are up and about, make it deafening. If the opposition are getting a run on, dig deep and scream louder. The players should feel the earth move. We ARE the most passionate supporters in the comp. Hawthorn or Adelaide should be petrified to play here.

This is OUR year! Bugger the West, I want the whole bloody thing to be OURS! It’s not just up to the players. Let’s play our part and contribute like no other crowd had done before (including us in 2013). We are lucky enough to have this opportunity.

This is our duty.

Not sure why but the atmosphere is so different during the day compared to night games..will be loud for sure next week

Freo fans are so used to being underdogs it should come naturally to shout even louder in the face of it.
I recall we were given no chance in finals week 1 in 2010, 2012 or 2013 and excitedly rode the experience as long as we could. Let expectations be a dampener and the ride will be far less enjoyable.

I must admit, was a bit strange for me at the qualifying final, I thought the crowd was quite subdued. I haven't been to a game at Subiaco in a long time, so maybe my memory fails me, but it didn't seem much different to a regulation H&A fixture. The last game I went to was the final vs Hawthorn in 2010, and I remember (wrongly or rightly) that the afternoon crowd was rabid and way louder.

I think there was a bit of nervousness (the quiet kind) in the crowd against Sydney, combined with the expectation of being a good team and expecting to win. And a home final is not something new anymore.

For WC fans, playing that first final in a while brings an extra element of anticipation. Maybe there was the booze factor, but at 6.20pm, I'm not sure there is much time for people to get on the sauce before the game. Whatever the case, I hope our Friday night prelim has a crowd that is a bit more amped up than our first final.

I think there was a sense of "We've got this game" last week. We tend to really hit our straps when it's all on the line. Next week will be very loud. Having said that, we actually recorded a higher decibel level than Wet Toast last week, according the the worst..

I was expecting a lot more noise against Sydney, maybe we were more comfortable and confident. But against Hawthorn and a prelim with no 2nd chance and a GF up for grabs I expect a lot of noise - sadly I will not be there so make me proud!

I think there was a bit of nervousness (the quiet kind) in the crowd against Sydney, combined with the expectation of being a good team and expecting to win. And a home final is not something new anymore.

You have hit the nail on the head here mate, I must admit my nerves were at an all time high on Saturday and the overriding emotion when it was done was relief.

Friday night prelim will be a different atmosphere. Mostly because it's at night time, everyone will have a few drinks in them and be a bit more rowdy. It's a knock-out final too. I think we'll see something similar to the atmosphere of the weagles game for ours. Day games are different. Probs why we never see night derby games anymore haha.

There will be a massive upgrade of atmosphere in the prelim vs whoever and here's why:
  • Friday Night
  • Prelims are do-or-die, no second chances
  • Hopefully no forecast of rain
I have a ton of faith in our fan base to make the earth shake Friday week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Norf were over here last year and beat us, the atmosphere was crazy. People were out for blood and for Boomer Harvey. It was the first time we had played them since pinchgate

There will be a massive upgrade of atmosphere in the prelim vs whoever and here's why:
  • Friday Night
  • Prelims are do-or-die, no second chances
  • Hopefully no forecast of rain
I have a ton of faith in our fan base to make the earth shake Friday week.
Long range forecast for Friday is sunny and 23 (down from 31 and showers Thursday) with an overnight of 10. Saturday the same.

Love this thread and agree with everything you have said!

Last week had a really weird feel about it....the whole game felt weird. Perhaps we all expected to dominate and were underwhelmed/shocked when we didn't.

But I agree that we need to make it an absolute cauldron of fear and noise again for the Prelim.

I'll be cheering from here...but will absolutely be sitting by myself alone. I can't watch Freo finals with other people...I get...intense.

Haha, my partner and family refuse to watch with me now. I have always been intense but this year has taken it to a whole new level of intensity.

Tend to notice people are louder at night games rather then day games.

Booze could be a factor.

I went the other way...I don't LET them watch with me anymore. Yeah...bossing it.

A whole bunch of factors have combined to make this the most stressful season ever for me! My family keep telling me that I should have been enjoying it more but the stakes are just so high!

The derby grand final is what I'm worried about....will need a valium!

last Saturday was my first game in perth for 4 years the crowd was so subdued it was deafly quiet most of the game I tried a couple of times to get the freo chant going and it didn't take off I was a bit disappointed in the passion of the crowd last week, I expect a much more fired up crowd next Friday night I hope this post wakes everyone up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back