Review Calling all posters to write player reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

STEPHEN MILNE, #44

I found his form in the first 15 weeks to be extremely frustrating. Against Richmond we counted 4 critical errors and his player kept setting up goals at the other end while Milney was jogging. I would have dropped him by round 10. His critical errors outweigh his input far too often and if Malera had kept his form then Milne would have been dropped. I agree with the club's view of his performance for the year by having him well down the order in the B & F. He is a reflection of the midfield and the talls bringing it to ground. When they are on fire - he is on fire. Otherwise his forward pressure is sub-standard.

Beau Wilkes

I don't think he is an AFL player. His form was ok and I appreciate he got dragged in his best game but he was found wanting against quality opposition. Can't see him playing any Senior footy this year but a solid back up and that is about it.

FISHER, Sam

Spot on rating.
I think he also lost his confidence this year which was reflected in some poor decision making and turnovers. He really missed Dawson and will excel if we land a key tall down back

I don't think he is an AFL player. His form was ok and I appreciate he got dragged in his best game but he was found wanting against quality opposition. Can't see him playing any Senior footy this year but a solid back up and that is about it.
When given full games up forward he played well. The reason he had a pretty average year is Watters kept trying to play him as a defender and wouldn't give him a consistent run of games.

NICOLAS WINMAR

Great review.

I think he was still suffering the effects of an initial concussion against Melbourne at Etihad when he was back slammed onto the fake turf. He was concussed twice more this season and I wonder if that affected him. Losing confidence and poor timing (including kicking) are classic symptoms of concussion. I personally love the kid and think he deserves 1 more year to bulk up a little and to also find his feet. I think he should be unleashed on a wing because when his kicking is on - he hits a target everytime. We drafted him based on his kicking accuracy at draft camp so hopefully he can find a way to replicate that in a game situation and at speed. Unfortunately - if he can't work it out this year - he will be traded or delisted. It will be a double disappointment because he was our first pick from memory and also because he has great potential.

Farren Ray #22

I love the guy but he crabs too often because he simply can't kick straight when under pressure. This causes pressure up the field and often gives the opposition just enough time to man-up downfield. The modern game can't carry players who can't kick well. Opposition players know that he struggles to kick and simply let him get it on occasion to feed off the turnover. His floating marks across packs were outstanding (especially against the Pies) but not enough to keep his spot in the team. Disciplined and runs to the right positions. Shame he can't kick.

DAL SANTO, Nick
spot-on review. We need more from him next year though. I watched his game against Collingwood on replay the other night and he was outstanding. He almost single handedly got us over the line. Cut him free to play a creative game I say. With Goddard gone we need Dal delivering it more to our forwards. Although he put it at Nick's feet too often this year. I think the quicker ruck rules will help him to break tags a lot easier.

Jarryn Geary

Well - I have to admit that I have eaten several humble pies over Gears. I had him on the scrapheap 12 months ago. A ripping footy brain but his kicking was always an issue. Beautiful by hand and he focused on linking by hand more this year to great effect. His best traits this year though were reading the play and having a cool head in a crisis. I still think he could work on penetration with his kicking (he seems to flick his lower leg only when he kicks) and go to the next level.

Siposs, Arryn
Gotta love this kid!!! His passion for the game and the club are infectious. What a great kick and confidence for a young bloke. All upside with him. His body is still developing so I expect even more from him this year and the next. He will replace Goddard as our key deliverer of the ball into the forward 50.

Sam Gilbert #19

Whilst Gilbo copped some criticism for his 2011 season, he barely missed a top 10 finish in the B&F.

His pre-season was impacted by lip complications (a complete inability to grow a decent tash).

161111_movember_ICarticle.jpg

After a couple of solid games in the first two rounds (18 possessions, 10 marks against Port and 19 possessions, 6 marks and a goal against GC), he was subbed off against the Dogs in round 3 with a back injury.

He returned with another good game (19 possessions, 6 marks and 2 goals) against Freo, but his form tailed off once Sammy Fish did his hammy. This (along with Dawson’s departure, Gwilt’s ongoing recovery from a reco, and Blake needing to cover McEvoy’s absence in the ruck) had a significant unsettling influence on the backline, and Gilbert’s natural attacking flair - including an ability to get to contests and take marks third man up.

At around this time, he had been strongly linked with the newer clubs (GWS and GC), but Sam maintained a desire to stay with the Saints. Gilbert also commented on his form:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=137961
"I think I found it a little bit hard to get a bit of touch. I've played a few roles for the team, which I thought I did alright.”

Gilbert has been working closely in one-on-one sessions with St Kilda defensive coach Danny Sexton, focusing mainly on his kicking before a recent emphasis on his hands. It's something that I've got away with a little bit throughout my career and on the weekend (against Richmond) I got caught a couple of times on the wrong side."

At 194cm, Gilbert was the second-tallest player to run out for the Saints in last week's loss to Richmond. He has had to cover for Fisher down back while also being used in some experimental roles. “I snuck in the ruck for a bit last week which was a bit of fun. I'd love to play through the midfield or up forward again. It's exciting playing in those positions but we do have a fantastic midfield."

After 75 games in succession, Gilbo missed the final round with shoulder surgery.

He played 21 games in 2012 and ranked 10th for disposals, 7th in tackles, 7th in contested possessions, 10th for inside 50s, 10th for rebound 50s, 4th in 1%’ers.

His 3.6 tackles per game was actually a career-high, as was his 7 goals (to go with his 8 goal assists).

Sam re-signed with the Saints for a further 3 years late in the season, and I’m looking forward to seeing him get back to the sort of form that saw him take nearly 200 marks in a season (2010).

327783-sam-gilbert.jpg

Players to be reviewed:
Cripps
Dempster
Ferguson (dibs thunda)
Goddard :confused:
Jones
Koschitzke
Lever
Markworth (dibs Rahul)
McEvoy (dibs TS31)
Schneider
Staley
Webster

Just 12 to go :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure you'll get many volunteers for Goddard :D
Something along the lines of BJ was pretty average for someone rated as highly as he is, and got really grumpy especially when he was tagged. Dempster was far better. Now he's gone to Essendon so he can get ******.

Something along the lines of BJ was pretty average for someone rated as highly as he is, and got really grumpy especially when he was tagged. Dempster was far better. Now he's gone to Essendon so he can get ******.

was shyte until his 200th where he put up his hand to take Matthew Boyd and finally pulled the finger out.

Won that battle and finished the season off handily.

His biggest win for the year was getting $3mil out of Essendon for 4 years.

of which he should provide reasonable value in the first 2.

Would have been better advised going to somewhere like Richmond rather than a 1 man team of oversized plodders like the bombres, but hey, $3mil buys a lot of golfing trips post career.

Terry Milera

In 2010 Terry was overlooked in the national draft and was devastated, but he didn't give up. His brother-in-law Gavin Wanganeen took him under his wing and helped him get stronger in the legs and hips to enable him to get to more contests, and do more when he got to them.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...eras-back-pocket/story-e6freck3-1226339187963

He made a name for himself in the SANFL as a highly skilled, quick player that could do the mercurial things and the following year his dream of playing AFL football came true when he was pre-listed by GWS along with Ahmed Saad and traded to St Kilda for a swap of picks.

When they arrived it was Saad who everyone thought would be getting games first as he had the bigger body and could also do some of the exciting things Milera could as well, but the longer preseason went on the more Terry impressed the coaches with not only the offensive side of his game but his contested ball work and defensive game. Milera played a blinder for Sandy the week before the AFL season started and the following week was a surprise inclusion to the team to take on Port Adelaide, and he didn't disappoint. He kicked his first AFL goal, set up a couple of others and showed that he was everything that he was hyped up to be and in doing that added something to a St Kilda team that we so desperately needed. Terry was good early in the season, and the signs were there that he was soon going to take a game apart which he eventually did on Monday Night Football against Carlton. He kicked 3, should've kicked 6 and along with the other members of the rat pack put on a show against Carlton in a big win. Another memorable moment that showed the type of skill level he has was when he delivered a 40-50m bullet on the left foot across his body to a man inside 50 against the Gold Coast.

This is where things get interesting. Milera was running into goal against Sydney and had a shot while Riewoldt was screaming for the ball and even though the kick wasn't on, he let Terry know all about it. This is where most people think the drop in form started. A guy that played on instinct wasn't able to do that anymore and started second-guessing everything he did, and combining that with the return of Schneider it wasn't long before Terry was dropped. He played fairly well in the VFL without setting the world on fire then was eventually brought in for last two games of the season, kicking three in each game and reminding us all of what he's capable of.

Overall it was a good season for the 24 year old. Can be guilty of trying to do a bit too much sometimes but when it pays off it usually does in a big way. Terry looks set for more midfield time in 2013 and most are expecting big things from him and I have no doubt he'll deliver.

Season rating: 7.5/10

images

Brett Peake #30

Despite 23 games in 2010, and 19 in 2011, Peake had to wait for confirmation that he would receive another season.

After getting a 1 year contract, he was extremely enthusiastic in pre-season:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...gh-the-premiership-window-20111203-1ocpg.html
“There is always speculation if you are going, if you are staying, what's happening, but I was adamant I was always staying. Obviously, we were going through a tough time [financially] but in the end we knew it was always going to get sorted out. The players knew that. It's been done, we are all happy.”

''Obviously, I still think we have a window open for the next two-to-three years. A new coaching staff, everyone is really excited, as I said before, so there is nothing but ups for us. On a personal note, I am just looking forward to getting back out there and doing what I can.“

Peake won the 1.2klm ocean swim as part of the pre-season programme, and looked estatic with his winners “prize”
images

Watters commented before Christmas that Peake was one of the players training well but, after some lacklustre NAB Cup games, it was speculated that Peake, Ray, Polo, Blake and Clarke would be battling for regular positions. Possibly his hands were still bleeding after Lenny’s determination to make a successful comeback:

images

Peake played in the round 1 loss against Port, but was dropped after an 11 possession and 4 tackle game. A changing of the guard had commenced with Ray, Peake and Polo dropped for Ledger, Newnes and Simpkin. Watters had made a fairly stinging comment during the week that he would not pick players who weren’t winning the contested ball.

That was Peake’s 43rd and last game for the Saints. He played 17 VFL games in 2012, averaging 17.7 possessions, but finishing well down in the Zeb B&F.

Peake was fined for flipping the bird to the not-so-fine folk at Port Melbourne in round 15, and was fined again by the VFL tribunal in round 19 for misconduct after a very sharp rugby pass to the umpire (who had just over-officiated by pinging him for stepping on the line when kicking out). His tweet said it all "Me and the whistle didn’t get along today."

After 118 AFL games, Peake has returned to East Fremantle (signing a 2 year deal).

images

Raph Clarke #8

Raph played 17 games in 2011, including a standout game in the final home and away match, and earned a further contract despite a knee injury which affected his pre-season.

He then suffered a bad hamstring injury just before the NAB Cup, and his first 2012 game was in the VFL on the 13th May - a game also notable for Scott Watters entering the rooms at half time to give the players an absolute bake. Raph played well that day and was in the best the next 3 games as well.

He was “dropped” to the Development League with the senior team having a bye, and dominated with a clear best-on-ground performance - earning a spot in the AFL team for round 11.

Raph played 3 games but, despite a solid game against North (4 rebound 50s, 4 tackles, 4 1%ers), he was omitted (5 changes in total, including 2 injuries and BJ’s tanty/suspension) after a disastrous match - a crucial loss and substantial dent to our chances of making finals.

He returned to the VFL and played 7 games, including a strong performance against Frankston (a wet and windy day where most players struggled with the weather, noting Raph has had many good games in these conditions throughout his career).

Raph averaged 19.4 possessions and 6.3 marks in his 9 senior VFL games, and despite the limited number of games finished 10th in the B&F.

He finished with 85 games for the Saints across 9 seasons - a career filled with courage, but cruelled by injuries and affected by epilepsy - and the odd blooper which was deeply ingrained into the minds of some.

20120611133842a_326x184.jpg

Raph Clarke #8

Well done mate, very fair and balanced review. Guess many people didn't know how much the condition affected him. Still can't believe one of the franchise teams could not find a place -even as a mentor for other indigenous players - at their club. It's a form of tanking to ignore players who would make it into your best 22 easily.

Well done mate, very fair and balanced review. Guess many people didn't know how much the condition affected him. Still can't believe one of the franchise teams could not find a place -even as a mentor for other indigenous players - at their club. It's a form of tanking to ignore players who would make it into your best 22 easily.

It's an interesting one.

Obviously it's not over until it's over from this example:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-future-as-a-bright-blue-20121108-290t9.html
"Kyle Reimers could be taken by the Blues as a delisted free agent for no loss of a draft pick, but Carlton will not take up this option and will wait until all players it rates more highly than Reimers are exhausted before contemplating using a pick on the young forward."

But Raph's continual battles with injury has to be an issue for other clubs (just as it was for us).

Sound out to Rahul aussiethunda and tomsimpkin31 as to whether they are still "on" for the nominated reviews.

Would be great if there are any posters out there who can complete one (that haven't done a player review yet).

:thumbsu:

Sound out to Rahul aussiethunda and tomsimpkin31 as to whether they are still "on" for the nominated reviews.

Would be great if there are any posters out there who can complete one (that haven't done a player review yet).

:thumbsu:

You know, id love to but I really cant be stuffed :eek: haha nah seriously I have few other things ive gotta write for Sandringham so wont have time any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back