Review Calling all posters to write player reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting one.

Obviously it's not over until it's over from this example:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-future-as-a-bright-blue-20121108-290t9.html
"Kyle Reimers could be taken by the Blues as a delisted free agent for no loss of a draft pick, but Carlton will not take up this option and will wait until all players it rates more highly than Reimers are exhausted before contemplating using a pick on the young forward."

But Raph's continual battles with injury has to be an issue for other clubs (just as it was for us).

If I was another team, I'd be looking at the younger Paul Bower to carry the whipping boy mantle.

Tom Curren #43

TC played 10 games in the VFL seniors last year and 6 in the reserves, but had a huge pre-season in preparation for 2012:

http://www.velocitysports.com.au/default.asp?PageID=2029

"I didn't want to get too out of shape and wanted to get back as soon as I could because I enjoy keeping myself in good condition. At the start of my break I started just doing off-legs on the bike, boxing and some swimming and I've now started my running program. I'm really looking forward to 2012, I'm just gearing up and trying to get myself prepared so that I can hopefully crack into the side for my first game. It's great to have such a great facility so close to home for me. It's just 10 minutes in the car and I can use the state of the art facilities.”

He got a very brief run in the NAB Cup, before playing 19 senior VFL games - and was in the best 8 times in averaging around 19 possessions - and won Sandringham’s B&F:

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=71

Going into the final game (Elimination Final) Curren & Cook (72) trailed Cockie (77) by 5 votes, Curren polled 10 votes for his 25 disposals and 2 goals in the game while Cockie could only manage 3 votes and Cook 2 votes. It is only the 2nd time at Sandringham (since the alignments began in 2000) where an AFL listed player has won the award. Curren predominantly played through the middle but also took on some tagging roles, most notably his impressive performance against reigning Liston Trophy winner Shane Valenti in Round 14 when he kept Valenti’s impact to a minimum.

Curren has been retained on the rookie list for a third season, and his positive attitude should see continued development and TC on the senior list at some stage during 2013:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/149146/default.aspx

Curren “It’s good to work hard and get rewarded, so hopefully (the B&F win) will keep pushing me and help me to achieve my goals in the future.”

Tony Elshaug "He is very diligent and his preparation is second to none. It’s in the Dempster and Jones mould ... so its no surprise that he is continuing to perform well in his football and keep pushing his case to play at a senior level. He is a fine young man that will get the best out of himself - before he was recruited you could see in his eyes that he was a determined young guy and you could tell he was going to do all the work.”

images

Jason “Neil” Blake #27

Blakey’s 2012 season started awkwardly - stuck on 199 games, and needing to be delisted (and then re-drafted) to accommodate the move of Kosi onto the veterans list.

His 200th was spoiled by a relatively poor team performance against Port (Blake had 15 possessions, 8 marks, and a team high of nine 1%’s).

He showed good form in the early part of the year, but was called up to assume ruck duties following injuries to McEvoy (at training after round 5) and Stanley (in round 8).

His ability to step up and assume the role brought adulation from within the club (and external calls for his first Brownlow votes).

Blake "It's one of those things (not getting a Brownlow vote). It's certainly not a focus and as long as I can play my role within the team and win the respect of my peers and Saints supporters I'm happy."

Various comments from Watters:

"He shouldn't be able to do it, it's his heart that gets him across the line.”

"You sort of run out of the right type of commentary when you talk about Jason because he shouldn't be able to compete the way he competes."

''Years ago, he would have been described as a great clubman. 'He is the perfect example of a selfless team player. His passion for the club and his teammates is enormous.''

''Different players have different talents. Jason's strongest attribute might just be his capacity to adapt, show versatility and find a way to compete. He is an extremely competitive and very focused player who maintains composure no matter what the challenge is. He stays on task.''

“I have sung Blakey’s praises a number of times. He is an outstanding club man. Maybe it’s a challenge for Ben McEvoy to have a look at what Jason Blake has done over the last three or four weeks and elevate his performance as a ruckman and carry the ruck stocks.

Unfortunately Blakey’s season took another turn - this time his ankle in round 14.

Whilst initial scans indicated a high-level ankle sprain, he ended up having surgery. “Jason had a syndesmosis injury to the ankle; which is the ligament between the fibula and the tibia. This needed to be repaired surgically to restore normal function,” High Performance Manager Peter Burge.

Blake played out the season in the VFL (3 games), but indicated that he wanted to continue. “I still have a passion for the game and my body’s feeling good, before the injury I thought I was going pretty well so taking those things into consideration I hear it’s a long time retired so I’ll have to, sit down and go through those things.”

After the Saints were unsuccessful in finding a proven AFL defender in the trade period, the club had no hesitation in signing Blake.

Watters "But we've been able to inform him today that he'll remain on the list and he'll have a key role to play next year.”

Blakey averaged 14.2 possessions in his 13 AFL games in 2012, along with 4.6 marks, 3.1 tackles and 7.2 hitouts.

Probably the most telling stat was that, despite the limited number of games, he ranked third in total 1%’ers.

Jason+Blake+AFL+Rd+6+St+Kilda+v+Hawthorn+oCGsKO72UZsl.jpg

Jay Lever #36

Early in 2012, “Leverage” was awarded St Joseph’s most outstanding athlete in 2011. He represented the school in three football grand finals, including the 2010 ACC premiership.

Jay was athletics captain and holds three school discuss records at under-12, under-13 and under-16 levels. His 39.87-metre throw in 2006 not only became a school record but also still stands as an ACC record.

He played 12 VFL reserves games in 2012, and managed 4 games in the seniors - earning praise after his first game against Werribee (spending some time on Nathan Ablett).

After his last senior game, he played the Elimination Final in the reserves - and showed versatility in playing forward and kicking 3 goals.

Scott Watters spoke about Lever in June, saying that he was a project player who realistically is 12-24 months away.

Hopefully he can add the weight and strength without compromising his mobility (which is very good for a 18-19yo 200cm player), and play alot more VFL seniors in 2013.

9678_10151596808369128_2129937201_n.jpg
6975_10151596811334128_1736724510_n.jpg

Height doesn't seem to be a problem:

745efea4403311e28d6622000a1fbc43_7.jpg

Jackson Ferguson #45

It’s easy to forget how young Ferguson is until you put it in the context of a 2011 draftee (Daniel Markworth) being 6 months older than him. Jacko has only recently turned 20.

After his 2011 season ended with shoulder surgery (6 games in the VFL seniors, 4 in the reserves), he played 19 games in 2012.

Jacko was in the best players 6 times and finishing 5th in the B&F. He also won St Kilda’s desire award - a new award where players are awarded points for both desire and attacking indicators.

He was matched against Khan Haretuku midway through the season, and had a tough day against the VFL state team representative.

However, less than 2 months later he lined up against Khan again, and was named Sandringham’s best player (Haretuku had 13 possessions and 0.1 with Jacko getting 19 possessions).

He also received praise from Simon McPhee for his 21 possession game on Ricky Petterd.

This was a feature of his game - the ability to play on different sized opponents.

He was also able to use his height and mobility effectively - only conceding 12 frees in the 19 games.

Jacko averaged 15.3 possessions and 4.4 marks for the year.

Whilst he still has some work to do on his kicking, his improvement provides plenty of optimism that he’ll be upgraded to the senior list in due course.

ferguson.jpg

Jimmy Webster #29

To me, JWebb was an odd selection at pick 42 given his injury troubles at U/18 level and the plethora of half backs accumulated during Lyon’s tenure at St Kilda.

He played the first 3 games in the VFL reserves, and was named the Zeb’s best player in the round 3 match.

However, this was followed by a long absence due to shin soreness, and it was over two months before he played another game.

His first game back was marred by a 1-week suspension for striking and $400 fine for wrestling.

But in the next game he was named in the best, and got a call-up to the VFL seniors - where he was again in the best with 17 possessions and 4 tackles. He moved well as a half back, including quite clean hands in congested situations, but seemed reluctant to kick the ball.

His form wasn’t quite as sharp in the next two games and he played the rest of the season out in the reserves.

The delistings of Andreoli, Polo, Peake, Gram, Clarke and Winmar appear to provide some opportunities to secure a more regular position in the senior VFL team - but he needs a really good pre-season and a clean run with injury to set himself up.

Hopefully we can see whether his nice height (188cm), athleticism (4th in standing jump at draft camp and 10th in the time trial), and kicking skill (equal second in efficiency at draft camp) can translate to on-field performances.

5bd6af923d6511e29d6522000a9f134c_7.jpg

Jordan Staley #40

Staley was taken at pick 48 in last year’s rookie draft, a 194cm key forward.

Ameet Bains “Very strong mark and good long kick. Represented Vic Country and kicked 24 goals for Gippsland Power.”

Rob Reid (Gippsland Power Development Manager) "He's a fantastic contested mark. If he gets the ball within 60 metres he'll have a shot for goal. I think he'll be a fantastic pick up."

He played 16 VFL games in 2012, with just a couple in the seniors (without any real impact).

His 14 reserves games brought 15 goals, and was twice in the best players.

Staley kicked 2 goals in the reserves Elimination Final (11 possessions, 4 marks with 2 contested, and 7 hitouts).

I’m not sure I’d like to see his season free kick count, as it might be ugly reading. He was suspended for striking during the season, and he almost landed a couple in one of the reserves games I watched (where he forgot there was a footy game on).

I was surprised he was retained, and think that these tall guys - who haven’t particularly dominated at U/18 level - don’t tend to be able to show enough in 2 years.

But hopefully he can knuckle down (as he’s a good height, looks like he has a frame which will develop, and has athleticism along with a decent kick).

61795_10151609370224128_1870529637_n.jpg

Sean Dempster

Along with Jarryn Geary and the interminable Lenny Hayes, I can’t see any Saints fan being disappointed with what has been Dempster’s finest season to date. Whilst his fine work was not enough to push us into the finals, it culminated in his selection in the back pocket of the All-Australian team.

Known for his meticulous preparation, he also took home the Robert Harvey Most Professional Player award for the second year running, having played every game in the past two seasons.

Standing up in the absence of a KPB, his most visible improvements were his more aggressive rebounding run and kicking, as well as his contested marking.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/08/27/dempster-finds-freedom-under-watters/

This improvement he credits to Watters’ faith in his abilities. Giving Dempster greater autonomy as an individual player, he no longer featured as simply another cog in the Saints’ defensive unit.

“I enjoyed doing that and doing my bit for the team…But it’s good to be off the leash a little bit and be able to use a bit of natural ability.”

Ave. Stats per game | 2011 | 2012
\Kicks|7.9|12.4
\Handballs|6.1|5.2
\Disposals|14.0|17.7
\Marks|4.0|7.0
\Tackles|3.2|2.0
\Contested poss.|4.7|5.6
\Uncontested poss.|9.1|11.3
\Effective disp.|75.7%|80.2%
\Contested Marks|0.4|1.2
\Rebound 50s|2.5|3.3
\One Percenters|3.8|4.6
This kind of wholesale improvement is especially commendable for a now 28 year old. It’s become increasingly clear how this guy managed to find his way into five grand finals. He is one of the greatest ordinary players of this generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, been lurking a month or so and decided to sign up. Originally posted this yesterday, but instead of making two posts, I accidentally edited the original and just plonked the review in there (sans picture).

I'll give the Kosi one a shot as well.

Sean Dempster

Along with Jarryn Geary and the interminable Lenny Hayes, I can’t see any Saints fan being disappointed with what has been Dempster’s finest season to date. Whilst his fine work was not enough to push us into the finals, it culminated in his selection in the back pocket of the All-Australian team.

Known for his meticulous preparation, he also took home the Robert Harvey Most Professional Player award for the second year running, having played every game in the past two seasons.

Standing up in the absence of a KPB, his most visible improvements were his more aggressive rebounding run and kicking, as well as his contested marking.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/08/27/dempster-finds-freedom-under-watters/

This improvement he credits to Watters’ faith in his abilities. Giving Dempster greater autonomy as an individual player, he no longer featured as simply another cog in the Saints’ defensive unit.

“I enjoyed doing that and doing my bit for the team…But it’s good to be off the leash a little bit and be able to use a bit of natural ability.”

Ave. Stats per game | 2011 | 2012
\Kicks|7.9|12.4
\Handballs|6.1|5.2
\Disposals|14.0|17.7
\Marks|4.0|7.0
\Tackles|3.2|2.0
\Contested poss.|4.7|5.6
\Uncontested poss.|9.1|11.3
\Effective disp.|75.7%|80.2%
\Contested Marks|0.4|1.2
\Rebound 50s|2.5|3.3
\One Percenters|3.8|4.6
This kind of wholesale improvement is especially commendable for a now 28 year old. It’s become increasingly clear how this guy managed to find his way into five grand finals. He is one of the greatest ordinary players of this generation.

Welcome and very well done on your first up post. Look forward to hearing more from you in coming season.

Hi, been lurking a month or so and decided to sign up. Originally posted this yesterday, but instead of making two posts, I accidentally edited the original and just plonked the review in there (sans picture).

I'll give the Kosi one a shot as well.
Welcome to the board mate. Off to a good start. :thumbsu:

Justin Koschitzke

We all wish every year that it will be Kosi's year. He'll shut the haters up and tear a game apart, and everyone will realise just how good the former Rising Star truly is.

2012 was not that year.

He kicked 14 goals in his first 5 matches and looked the goods, his best game coming against an undermanned Hawthorn, booting 5.The loss of McEvoy and Stanley though was very disruptive to his game. From round 7 he struggled, and never really looked as good as he had up until round 6.

Round 21 against Geelong...not much needs to be said about his efforts here. Fair to say really that it was as though we were a player down.

He earned 16 free kicks throughout the season, but gave away 26. A lack of discipline from he and Milne led to pointless 50 metre penalties, sometimes at key stages.

So is Kosi really cooked? It definitely looked that way at times. I had a quick look at what I believe are the four most important areas of his game: how he's kicking, how he's marking, his rucking, and of course goals scored. Did it make things any clearer? Nope.
UJGFx.png

It's hard for me to get a read on where his career is at for a couple of reasons:
-His role changes according to the ruck/forward situation. I genuinely believe that without our ruck problems this year, he would have taken more marks, and kicked more goals.
-Injuries: Earlier in the year he insisted, like Roo, that his body is feeling better than it has in years. He did play 6 more games than in 2011, but he never really recovered from the dip in performance in the middle of the season. (Not to mention his woeful mobility in later games.)

Some positives: He's been one of the most accurate forwards in the comp this season. To round 9 he had kicked 15.0 (though I do recall one kick sailing out on the full...). He finished with 27 goals; a solid return, but probably doesn't compensate for some of his poorer performances throughout 2012.
He also amassed 37 tackles over the year, his best effort since 2008. I don't know whether this just reflects the evolving role of forwards in the game though.

Overall...I don't know. The numbers suggest he's maintained form from the past two seasons. At times this year he's looked great, and other times he's looked really terrible, almost Josh Fraser bad. Frustrating as hell for a supporter to watch. He's certainly not guaranteed a place in next year's 22, under threat from younger talent in Wilkes and Lee.

If next year is to be his final year, then touch wood he stays fit and gets to play forward most games. If he maintains his accuracy it's not impossible to see him kicking 35-40 goals.

afl-2012-training-st-kilda-131112

#5 Ben McEvoy
Ben McEvoy continued his role as St Kilda's clear #1 ruck in 2012. A lot of responsibility was again set to fall on McEvoy with the lack of back up for him.

Once the season had commenced, McEvoy spent more time up forward than in the previous year due to the emergence of Rhys Stanley. It was a role that suited McEvoy well on paper because of his strong contested marking ability. His tap work in the ruck improved on previous years but still left a lot to be desired in that aspect off his game. It certainly wasn't smooth sailing for McEvoy in the first five rounds, he battled for consistency in all of his game.

In the lead up to a big game against Hawthorn, McEvoy suffered a knee injury which put him on the sidelines for six weeks. McEvoy's importance to the team was shown in this period with Stanley, Jason Blake and Justin Koschitzke all forced to take up the load.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...das-forward-line/story-fnca0u4y-1226348186784

Once back from injury, McEvoy enjoyed a more successful and consistent time. He continued to improve his tap work (slowly) whilst his work around the grounds remained at a high level and became reliable every week.

2013 promises to be an interesting one for Ben McEvoy. Finding a way for him and new recruit Tom Hickey to work together successfully will be a challenge for Scott Watters and his team but if they can make it work, St Kilda will undoubtedly have one of the strongest ruck combinations in the league.

2012 stats:
Games:16
Kicks: 5.9*
Handballs: 6.3*
Disposals: 12.2*
Marks: 5.3*
Goals: 7
Behinds: 0
Tackles: 3.8*
Hit outs: 25.3*

* = average
images

Now I know why I've been messing up the image posts, trying to overcomplicate things. Anyway
Justin+Koschitzke+AFL+Rd+10+St+Kilda+v+Richmond+cB35bZsaYR4l.jpg

Adam Schneider

2012 was a pretty down year for the Schneider-man due to injury. He was interviewed during the offseason asking where he's at with his footy and said he has a contract until the end of 2013 and will reassess then, is still enjoying it but his body is sore. As every Saints fan knows it's not about how often he gets it, but what he does with the ball in his hands. He makes the right decision every time, and somehow even if he's outnumbered 3 to 1 he'll be the one that ends up with the ball. Very cool under pressure and is a beautiful kick.

Adam's year started off by almost completing a full preseason only to pull a hamstring right before the season, then re-injure it a few weeks later which pushed his first game of football back until around the midway point of the season. He made his way back through Sandringham then played his first game of the season for the Saints as the sub in round 11 against the Gold Coast, and his first full game in round 12 against the Crows in Adelaide where he picked up 19 possessions and kicked two goals and showed the class he's always had since his arrival. Schneider is rated extremely highly with Watters as his inclusion in the team was one reason Milera was eventually dropped who had been lighting it up before Schneider came back in. He continued to go about his business for the next few weeks usually getting his 15 or so disposals with 1-3 goals, and played his last game of the season against Geelong in round 21 as the sub. In that game he came on as the sub and played a big part in a comeback that eventually fell short. With the season all but over at that point he was put in for surgery to get ready for another big preseason.

2013 is going to be a very telling year for Schneider. It could very well be his last as we make the transition to some of the younger guys as his body is sore, or he could continue to do what he's always done and be an integral part of the team that takes us well into September. I'm guessing it will be the latter.

Season rating: 6/10

images

Bit on the short side but TBH there wasn't really much to talk about last year regarding Schneider, and what little there was I've forgotten by now. :p

Just on the article I mentioned, couldn't find it to save my life but I vividly remember that quote.

I am really sorry but I won't be able to do my Markworth review. I will be going away over the Christmas/New Year break and I'll probably have little to no access to a computer.

#$$ Brendon Goddard
Said he was always going to stay a one club player at St Kilda, Then lied and left once Free Agency Opened, All about the $$$$. The end.

Best we'll get for him?? :p

I thought he said it would be good if he could be a one club player, like I think it would be good if I could be a gigolo, or a rock star or ....... you know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back