Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media must also relate elite draft picks with success.

Yesterday on the AFL website, “Carlton has a star-studded list of inclusions for its clash with Richmond”. Seriously ..... I thought a team with star studded players ....... wouldn’t sit bottom 4!
They are desperate for carlton to come good again.

Thats ok though, I have been enjoying their improvement this year myself, its been nice to talk to my Dad about footy again without him being miserable, like he has for the last 15-20 years.

I dont think their list is as wonderful as some are making out but they should stop being a basket case. The hype is relative and for them the ONLY way was up. They have done a better job with picks and recruits than gc, but a worse job than Brissy. All 3 teams have been pants for ages.

Hope they dont stuff it up with Teague.

If Wingard decided to put in like he did tonight it would make a significant difference to Hawthorn’s ailing forward line.
I'm not sure he will be a forward. His best position for the couple years has been as a mid with the occasional stint forward.
As soon as he started playing through the middle for us he has looked so much better

If Wingard decided to put in like he did tonight it would make a significant difference to Hawthorn’s ailing forward line.
He was so exciting tonight and he has really improved along with his fitness this last month.

He is just so clean. Win or lose he is fun to watch.

With a full preseason (which isnt a given) next year, I reckon we'll see why he has 2 AAs at 25

Give it a few more years before we make any calls.
Lewis has looked promising no doubt hawks can develop their players. I'm not sure of the stats but I'm sure Charlie kicked 7 and 3 in 2 back to back games before he injured his knee.

Back to the thread I don't believe right now your team as good as you have been for that 10 year stretch are in contention or look likely to be in contention.
What I feel you guys need to get back to contention provided no injuries and current veteran outputs stay the same

Another elite mid (cogs) ?
KPP forward patton ?

The veterans will start to retire soon, I'm not sure you can keep attracting players that fill out roles that are elite.
Draft you need to fill these holes.
Will be interesting.

On the last but, we have got some luck coming our way.

FS pick this year and 2 academy prospects next year, one a potentil top 5 pick. All of which we will get at a big discount thanks to the stupid afl rules.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Chad has copped a lot of unfair criticism for a chequered season where he copped three soft tissue injuries and has been underdone in many games.
e.g. I haven't heard anyone bagging Trent Cotchin for "not putting in" this year. They've had similar seasons.

Mitchell and Wingard are going to be handy additions in 2020. Probably our two best players.

Last edited:
Why are people still arguing about this? It's fairly obvious the answer is yes. Hawthorn's best players last night were drafted latish in the draft.

I remember when you guys were saying this about Tom Schneider, Derick Wanganeen, Alex Woodward and Teia Miles. Probably best to wait for them to play AFL before declaring them the next star crop.
Those guys never had a chance with 16 players playing in 3 premierships.
They would be 26-28 now so thats why hawks had to tradin in a ( to b)graders in that age group. Thats almost complete the hawks have an age balanced list now

Edit. Though if we are talking 2009, when hawks last won just 9, (and came 9th) they had Bailey shiels schoenmakers suckling bruest on the list as well as roughead franklin hodge lewis birchall mitchell rioli sewell guerra, not to mention savage kennedy .

29 of the 2009 list would leave before 2012-16. In came hale lake burgoyne gibson gunston mcevoy via trades and stratton puopolo smith Hill langford duryea 12 successful changes out of 29
Equal numbers through trades and draft, just like now. Who says its not a successful approach?

Last edited:
The Chad has copped a lot of unfair criticism for a chequered season where he copped three soft tissue injuries and has been underdone in many games.
e.g. I haven't heard anyone bagging Trent Cotchin for "not putting in" this year. They've had similar seasons.

Mitchell and Wingard are going to be handy additions in 2020. Probably our two best players.

Well Cotchin hasn't been in this situation.

69f7f6b560017f8d3e416c2f7d4b9b52

Why are people still arguing about this? It's fairly obvious the answer is yes.

Hawthorn can "get up" for certain matches but can no longer produce consistently.

They dominated both matches against the Giants after quarter time. Clarkson has them completely worked out. The Giants’ dangerous players just can’t find space in the forward half.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure he will be a forward. His best position for the couple years has been as a mid with the occasional stint forward.
As soon as he started playing through the middle for us he has looked so much better

He's a bit like Robbie Gray in that he can find it in the middle, but is more damaging as a forward. That is his career to date, anyway.

Well Cotchin hasn't been in this situation.

69f7f6b560017f8d3e416c2f7d4b9b52
Overblown by the media. A new player unfamiliar with the gameplan gets pulled into line at the half time break for breaking a team rule. These things happen all the time. If Wingard didn't argue with Roughie and react demonstrably with outstretched arms then nobody would've batted an eyelid. But the trolls in the media generate clicks by writing about a "rift" between Wingard and his new teammates who are supposedly unimpressed by his bad attitude.

It's the sort of garbage which Damian Barrett and Caroline Wilson have made their careers on

C'mon Ron. You're better than this.

Last edited:
Overblown by the media. A new player unfamiliar with the gameplan gets pulled into line at the half time break for breaking a team rule. These things happen all the time. If Wingard didn't argue with Roughie and react demonstrably with outstretched arms then nobody would've batted an eyelid. But the trolls in the media generate clicks by writing about a "rift" between Wingard and his new teammates who are supposedly unimpressed by his bad attitude.

It's the sort of garbage which Damian Barrett and Caroline Wilson have made their careers on

C'mon Ron. You're better than his.

Wasn’t implying any rift, but you don’t see it every week. And Melbourne haven’t won many games.

Chad considers himself a bit special, the signs were there with the celebrations in his first game. I don’t see Hawthorn as a club that will bend to accommodate individuals who want to do things differently. Chad has to fall in line.

Wasn’t implying any rift, but you don’t see it every week. And Melbourne haven’t won many games.

Chad considers himself a bit special, the signs were there with the celebrations in his first game. I don’t see Hawthorn as a club that will bend to accommodate individuals who want to do things differently. Chad has to fall in line.
Fair call. I reckon he has. Was understated after the goal he kicked last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back