Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to see that Carlisle and Cogs have stayed put at their respective clubs. Carlisle s##t character and Cogs a $mil for 7 years no thanks.

Hawks will pickup another young gun or two during the upcoming draft ..... no matter what pick it has. Don’t need picks at the elite end! Wright is the best in the business. No wonder other clubs have tried poaching him like our assistant coaches and other staff. Hawks are like your Harvard or Oxford universities of the world while the Bombers, Saints and Carlton are your tafe equivalents.

In Gavin’s alternate reality Hawthorn has been banned from the draft.
What's really funny is that us Hawkers seem happier with the year than the Geelong supporters, despite them being minor premiers, still alive in the finals and still a chance at the Granny if they are good enough. 85% of them want to sack the coach! I think our list has been well stocked up from FA and some gems of late draft picks, Mr Worpel comes to mind, and rather ironic that he was a Geelong Falcon. For some reason I suspect we may hit the draft this year.

Well that is what most think.

The Hawks brain's trust

The Hawks brain's trust will be banking on no bid coming in on Finn before pick 10, fair assumption. Hawks to get Finn with a 2nd round pick.

Next years first round pick will be traded this year or next paving the way for Hawks using a 2nd rounder plus draft points to secure Downie who will attract a bid in the first round.

It's not that hard to work out.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Hawks brain's trust will be banking on no bid coming in on Finn before pick 10, fair assumption. Hawks to get Finn with a 2nd round pick.

Next years first round pick will be traded this year or next paving the way for Hawks using a 2nd rounder plus draft points to secure Downie who will attract a bid in the first round.

It's not that hard to work out.

I am not sure whether you were deliberately misquoting me, or whether it is just your inability to be able to comprehend what has been written, but my reference to the two players was due to WWSD claiming you were going to get them for free.

However it is good to read that you do agree with me that the two players will not be gained for free. It's not that hard to work out, but unfortunately you seem to struggle somewhat.

Last edited:
I am not sure whether you were deliberately misquoting me, or whether it is just your inability to be able to comprehend what has been written, but my reference to the two players was due to WWSD claiming you were going to get them for free.

However it is good to read that you do agree with me that the two players will not be gained for free. It's not that hard to work out, but unfortunately you seem to struggle somewhat.

I think most of us understood what WWSD was alluding to, that being they will be draft bargains due to FS/NGA. It may have gone over your head though.

I think most of us understood what WWSD was alluding to, that being they will be draft bargains due to FS/NGA. It may have gone over your head though.

Bargains is not free. Free means absolutely no cost.

And they are not bargains anyway these days, but are gained at a discount. F/S "bargains" was long ago before the F/S rules was changed. The main benefit now is that a club gets to turn lower picks into an early pick.

Also with so many NSA players likely to be picked next year that advantage will be less.

Bargains is not free. Free means absolutely no cost.

And they are not bargains anyway these days, but are gained at a discount. F/S "bargains" was long ago before the F/S rules was changed. The main benefit now is that a club gets to turn lower picks into an early pick.

Also with so many NSA players likely to be picked next year that advantage will be less.

Ok m8

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can always appreciate when a thread has been done to death and turns into semantics. I think we could ignore the "elite end" of the draft (wherever that line is drawn) were we allowed to trade our first every year, but I believe this season we might actually go hard at the elite end before returning to using our first rounders as bait.

Thats the thing, the title can mean anything. Eg is it hawthorn levels of success or st kilda?
I recently heard Riewoldt and Pavlich talking about the “success” they had under Ross the boss. 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what you're saying is that Hawthorn can no longer ignore the elite end of the draft?
I'm looking forward to when after draft period we get a rehash that we didn't pick elite player or the FS/NGA discount means we still haven't picked at the elite end of the draft so this thread can keep rolling.

Andy McGrath?
Good question - played ok in their final I thought but would he command a first round pick?
If only they went for the #2 pick instead in Taranto. Exactly what they needed instead of another outside flanker

Essendon probs should have ignored the elite end of the draft a few years back - just saying'

What would you get for trading the number 1 pick these days?
Still bitter about Burton, huh? He doesn't play for you guys anymore. You betrayed him and shipped him off to Port for an injury-prone flanker, remember?

McGrath had a better finals series than any Hawthorn player did in 2019, that's for sure.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, how did the fist pumper get it so wrong?
Kind of like wasting a 1st rounder on Keiran Lovell, a guy who couldn't even make it to a 2nd contract.

Last edited:
So glad to see that Carlisle and Cogs have stayed put at their respective clubs. Carlisle s##t character and Cogs a $mil for 7 years no thanks.

Hawks will pickup another young gun or two during the upcoming draft ..... no matter what pick it has. Don’t need picks at the elite end! Wright is the best in the business. No wonder other clubs have tried poaching him like our assistant coaches and other staff. Hawks are like your Harvard or Oxford universities of the world while the Bombers, Saints and Carlton are your tafe equivalents.
The Hubris. Stay humble mate the cliff isn't far off.

Still bitter about Burton, huh? He doesn't play for you guys anymore. You betrayed him and shipped him off to Port for an injury-prone flanker, remember?

McGrath had a better finals series than any Hawthorn player did in 2019, that's for sure.

Kind of like wasting a 1st rounder on Keiran Lovell, a guy who couldn't even make it to a 2nd contract.

It would be kind of like wasting a pick on Lovell when we could've got Dunkley, is that the point you were trying to make Jab?

The Hubris. Stay humble mate the cliff isn't far off.
That cliff was suppose to happen when Hodge, Sammy, Lewis, Gibbo departed wasn’t it ...... blah blah blah.

At the moment with Clarko’s third transition/build at the club it’s more like a speed bump even with the lack of elite draft picks!

Last edited:
That cliff was suppose to happen when Hodge, Sammy, Lewis, Gibbo departed wasn’t it ...... blah blah blah.

At the moment with Clarko’s third transition/build at the club it’s more like a speed bump even with the lack of elite draft picks!
[/QUOTE
All I'm saying is stay humble no one is doubting clarko. Modesty is best. Be proud not arrogant Mr Havard. Time is the greatest equaliser wasn't long ago you nearly merged and your club was looking at extinction. Success is relative to time. And mate all these people your club acquired wright Clark Russell worked for other clubs before the came to the hawks so there is that. They didn't start at your club Mr Havard. Good luck next season I look forward to see what clarko does the GOAT in my opinion. In the words of the great Kendrick Lamar Stay Humble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back