Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What’s expected of Mitchell next year

Is he a chance r1?

If we were sitting in 4th place a month out they may have considered him.

I would assume he does whatever preseason competition round robin thing and plays every game.

My bet is its psychological not physical.

When I snapped my arm in half it took years to be fully confident. And I dont get smashed around 80 times a day by 90 kilo monsters.

If we were sitting in 4th place a month out they may have considered him.

I would assume he does whatever preseason competition round robin thing and plays every game.

My bet is its psychological not physical.

When I snapped my arm in half it took years to be fully confident. And I dont get smashed around 80 times a day by 90 kilo monsters.
I dislocated a kneecap 30 years ago and I still avoid contact

I am though as soft as room temperature butter

I dislocated a kneecap 30 years ago and I still avoid contact

I am though as soft as room temperature butter

Broke my right wrist and much prefer handballing with my left.

But I dare say the determination and willingness to risk life and limb is stronger in an elite footballer than a fat old plodder.

Ever so slightly stronger.

What has that got to do with Hawthorn and this thread?

It's a question of the validity of your arguments based off of the age of the list. If we're nearing a cliff you would also have to believe that Richmond are nearing a cliff or you'd be contradicting yourself. I bet you don't believe that, so here you are, being intellectually inconsistent.

Who'd have figured?

It's a question of the validity of your arguments based off of the age of the list. If we're nearing a cliff you would also have to believe that Richmond are nearing a cliff or you'd be contradicting yourself. I bet you don't believe that, so here you are, being intellectually inconsistent.

Who'd have figured?
again, this has nothing to do with Richmond

but even if you are right, bit easier to accept nearing a cliff with a team that has been the best in the league for 3 years and favorite to win in 2020, as opposed to a team that is nearing a cliff with a team that hasn't won a final in 4 years and finished ninth.

This is not a controversial view, it is just logic, surely you can see that right? it is not a personal insult, it is just a fact.

again, this has nothing to do with Richmond

but even if you are right, bit easier to accept nearing a cliff with a team that has been the best in the league for 3 years and favorite to win in 2020, as opposed to a team that is nearing a cliff with a team that hasn't won a final in 4 years and finished ninth.

This is not a controversial view, it is just logic, surely you can see that right? it is not a personal insult, it is just a fact.

It does have something to do with Richmond because you used logic that can reasonably be applied to Richmond. I've done nothing but use your formula on Richmond's list so it's not whether I'm right, it's whether you think you're right.

Also - you haven't been the best in the league for 3 years, you've been the best in the league for 2 out of the 3 years. That's just like me saying that Port Adelaide were the best team from 2001 - 2003. No team had a better win loss ratio throughout that period than they did. We both know they weren't the best team for the 3 years so it's a moot point.

It does have something to do with Richmond because you used logic that can reasonably be applied to Richmond. I've done nothing but use your formula on Richmond's list so it's not whether I'm right, it's whether you think you're right.

Also - you haven't been the best in the league for 3 years, you've been the best in the league for 2 out of the 3 years. That's just like me saying that Port Adelaide were the best team from 2001 - 2003. No team had a better win loss ratio throughout that period than they did. We both know they weren't the best team for the 3 years so it's a moot point.

Ok mate,

Richmond has won 2 of the last 3 flags in 2017, and 2019, in 2018 it finished top of the ladder and lost in the prelim, in 2020 it is favorite to win the flag again.

Hawthorn in the last 4 years has not won a final, and in 2019, it finished 9th.

If as you say, both lists are nearing a cliff in age profile, then I would say that, it is much better to be approaching that cliff with a team that is the best in the league and won the last grand final by 89 points, then it is to have an old team that is not even good enough to win a final in the last 4 years.

Please explain to me how in any way what I have stated is factually wrong or illogical?

what about the last 3?

How many flags have you won in the last 3?

Tbh I got tired of Hawthorn flags.

Now I can sit in the bottle green seats and enjoy a neutral final or two for a few years.

But like 2008 to 2013 the next Hawthorn flag is never too far away. And when they win flags they usually win them in batches of 3 (70s), 5 (83-91) and 4 (08-15)

So pretty much no one touches us, even the tiggy tigers from swan rd ;)

Enjoy your north 96-00 like run, this competition is all about spreading the love :)

And remember, every dog can have its day (2016)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I got tired of Hawthorn flags.

Now I can sit in the bottle green seats and enjoy a neutral final or two for a few years.

But like 2008 to 2013 the next Hawthorn flag is never too far away. And when they win flags they usually win them in batches of 3 (70s), 5 (83-91) and 4 (08-15)

So pretty much no one touches us, even the tiggy tigers from swan rd ;)

Enjoy your north 96-00 like run, this competition is all about spreading the love :)

And remember, every dog can have its day (2016)

notice you didn't answer the question.

The answer is 2 flags to zero , and you can extend the years to the last 4.

I am glad you got sick of seeing flags, because it is going to be a very long time till you see another one.

Ok mate,

Richmond has won 2 of the last 3 flags in 2017, and 2019, in 2018 it finished top of the ladder and lost in the prelim, in 2020 it is favorite to win the flag again.

Hawthorn in the last 4 years has not won a final, and in 2019, it finished 9th.

If as you say, both lists are nearing a cliff in age profile, then I would say that, it is much better to be approaching that cliff with a team that is the best in the league and won the last grand final by 89 points, then it is to have an old team that is not even good enough to win a final in the last 4 years.

Please explain to me how in any way what I have stated is factually wrong or illogical?

I'm not sure how often I can repeat myself that it's not what I say, it's what you said. Do you believe Richmond are nearing a cliff?

I moved to Melbohrne in 1978 and started watching then. We could do a Premiership comparison.

Ok, make it a nice rounded 50 years ;)

It's still six flags (69, 73, 74, 80, 17 & 19) to 12 (71, 76, 78, 83, 86, 88, 89, 91, 08, 13, 14 & 15).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

1971, 1978 etc. was a long time ago boys

can-hawthorn-succeed-while-ignoring-the-elite-end-of-the-draft = 2020 onwards

I'm not sure how often I can repeat myself that it's not what I say, it's what you said. Do you believe Richmond are nearing a cliff?

this thread is about Hawthorn.

You brought up richmond , not me .

Would you prefer to be heading to a cliff with a middle of the road team that hasn't won a final in 4 years or with a team that has won 2 flags in 3 years and is favourite to win another in 2020?

Put another way, is there anything worse than heading into a cliff with the oldest list in league that is actually mediocre?

Um

yep, yep, yep

Castagna in particular laps breust
Gunston is close, and has had a better career, but he lacks the intensity to get a game for the tigers,Caddy is younger and can play mid which gives him the nod, and this is the case even though Gunston is one of your stars and Caddy is a fringe player at Richmond
And there is no way I would trade Soldo for a 30 yr old ruckman that even Clarko wants to play as a defender.

About 10.5 months younger.......... but you use that mate.... “Caddy is 10 months younger than Gunston therefore more valuable”....... That’s so bloody stupid, even for you.

Disagree.

Oh dear. This won't end well. We love Worps but Taranto is a star mate.

finally

Must be made up. We have no youf.

How were Richmond looking in 2016? At what point during 2017 did your own supporters stop calling for the sacking of your coach?

wasnt looking too good but made the finals 15, 14, 13

this thread is about Hawthorn.

You brought up richmond , not me .

Would you prefer to be heading to a cliff with a middle of the road team that hasn't won a final in 4 years or with a team that has won 2 flags in 3 years and is favourite to win another in 2020?

Put another way, is there anything worse than heading into a cliff with the oldest list in league that is actually mediocre?

I brought it up because you were criticizing an aging list, your hypothetical has nothing to do with it. If your formula for a cliff dive from Hawthorn applies, it has to apply to Richmond too. Do you believe Richmond are ready to fall off a cliff?

Answer the question and stop posing other hypotheticals please.

You are completely delusional

I'm not saying that Richmond are falling off a cliff though, I'm just telling you that by your logic Richmond have like 1 maybe 2 less people than Hawthorn that are going to be 30 or older by 2021 so does your rule apply to Richmond as well?

I'm not saying that Richmond are falling off a cliff though, I'm just telling you that by your logic Richmond have like 1 maybe 2 less people than Hawthorn that are going to be 30 or older by 2020 so does your rule apply to Richmond as well?

I suggest you back and read my posts and answer the questions asked honestly.

And if you can't do it honestly I understand, as a Richmond supporter I have been there.

I really been reasonable and patient trying to walk you through it, but enough is enough,

In any case be well man, and go outside and get some fresh air it is all good and only a game after all

This whole average list age thing is a non-argument anyway. It's a blunt measure in general, 30 is an arbitrary number and in our case, the age (24.9 according to Draftguru) was pushed up this year by players who had no impact on-field - Birchall (31), Schoenmakers (28), Langford (27), Tim Mohr (30), Darren Minchington (25), Dave Mirra (28), who are gone or will be (in Langford's case). Those ages are rounded down, they're all point-something and I cbf working it out. But you get the point. I'll be interested to see how much it's gone down after the final lodgement, with basically no negative impact on-field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back