Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be gone surely. The way a lot of Port fans talk about him, he must have to get around with a security detail.

What is great about this thread, and every thread for Mentally Weak Ken, is outside of the weird obsession some Freo bloke that thinks getting in a final ever 10 years is successful has for him, you can see how delighted every opposition fan is to us having him. That alone should be enough to show you he's a terrible coach. But we're run by a pack of absolute narcissistic idiots from the top down who think this proves we're "everyone's second favourite team" and that eventually things will come good just because they have to.

The club is ****ed

What is great about this thread, and every thread for Mentally Weak Ken, is outside of the weird obsession some Freo bloke that thinks getting in a final ever 10 years is successful has for him, you can see how delighted every opposition fan is to us having him. That alone should be enough to show you he's a terrible coach. But we're run by a pack of absolute narcissistic idiots from the top down who think this proves we're "everyone's second favourite team" and that eventually things will come good just because they have to.

The club is ****ed
Are you saying port Adelaide are in a worse position than North Melbourne? LoL

Are you saying port Adelaide are in a worse position than North Melbourne? LoL
I've got to hand it to you, you must genuinely be the most satisfied person on the planet. As long as you're not worse than statistically the worst team of the last 100 years and you get into the finals a couple if times a decade everything is A-OK.

Geez theres some real "Me, Me, Me" players getting around for the power.

Rozee electing to play in a showdown with a hammy strain is just simply selfish. JHF clearly just wants the limelight and Willie Rioli is the exact same.

Todd Marshall has gone backwards at a rate of knots as well.

New coach next year for the Pear.

Port lacks a reliable key forward. Charlie is cooked and Marshall is a shadow of himself. Still lacks strength too. Aside from showtime Rioli their small forward stakes aren't great either. Stacked midfield but exposed at either end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coach isn't the issue
Kenny can't stream to the forward 50 and bomb it home!

No one can stream into our forward 50 because of our complete lack of forward structure.

There’s a reason we bomb it in over and over and over to no one. There’s a reason our goal scoring is so inaccurate year on year, player after player, there’s a reason our forward 50 conversion is so poor, and if you can’t guess it, that reason is coaching.

We completely lack any form of forward cohesion or structure.

That’s why we generally win the inside 50 count even when we lose by 5+ goals. Teams are more than aware of this pathetic set up and crowd the back so they can slingshot straight down the other end once they get out the back of our incredibly high press. Same happened numerous times last night.

Our forward line does not allow for creating space for forwards, does not allow for leading patterns and does not allow for any form of an effective forward ball movement.

We just continue to bomb it high and long to a contest of 5+ players and hope for either a free kick, a 1/50 mark, a rushed crumb or we go out wide and take shots from the boundary.

That is why we are so inaccurate year after year.

It’s 100% coaching. Everyone needs to stop this bull of He CaNt kIcK it fOr ThEm!!

For those who watched last night, how many times would you have observed when we had the ball 60-75m from goal and the player with the ball just stands there completely helpless as every single forward just stands there motionless. Meanwhile the opposition is flooding back and next minute, we have 25 players in the forward arc.

What he can do is after 12 years have implemented a forward structure that’s effective. He’s massively failed and is instead just repeating the same that doesn’t work.

It is very curious that Hinkley has been found wanting whenever it really matters and yet for some reason the Melbourne media seem to love him.
Even after yesterday - he was being praised for his "honesty" after the match for admitting playing Rozee was a mistake - rather than the actual mistake and s**t performance.
Somehow its been spun about how good Kenny is.
Its all very odd.

Port lacks a reliable key forward. Charlie is cooked and Marshall is a shadow of himself. Still lacks strength too. Aside from showtime Rioli their small forward stakes aren't great either. Stacked midfield but exposed at either end.
Ok but both the Pies and Demons managed to win a flag without a reliable key fwd.

The coaching is s**t at Port.

I just think that if Port Adelaide felt they couldn't defeat Adelaide without Rozee in the team, they really aren't a position to seriously compete for a flag.
Irrelevant who the player is or who the opposition is.

Just don't play clearly injured players. Full stop. Poor management. poor risk culture. If the doctors can't speak freely then the coach is at fault.

How many superstars do we need to do the basics right?

It’s obviously not the players.

Our gameplan is ****ed and it hampers our players.

I’m not sure why it’s not more heavily talked about, I think the vic based media half don’t give a s**t and are half just incompetent boys club knobs.

Hinkleys gameplan is Ross Lyons flood, except instead of the flood being in the backline it’s between the arcs.

The idea being stop the ball before it even gets to our d50.

We don’t have space ourselves but hinkleys plan is to bring the ball to ground , lock it inside 50 and let the smalls score after a stoppage.

And in some ways it works. Poor to average teams can struggle to move the ball through that quagmire of numbers. It’s why we end up with so many repeat i50’s

But the drawbacks are this

Our own team also has to navigate that quagmire and whenever we have the ball we’re under pressure of numbers around the ball. Sometimes it’s real others it’s perceived cause it’s what these players operate in all the time. The outcome is rushed decisions.

We don’t have any space for anyone to lead into forward of centre. We clog the space up by dragging not just our own players but defenders too.

We watch time and time again as we have to just dump the ball on the foot to numbers forward. We ask why aren’t our forwards leading. To where? Leading into more traffic? Lead and then be out of place to compete for the dump kick they know is coming?

Last year they mentioned a telling stat that we were last for scores / goals transitioning from the back half but first (or close I forget) for a stat of scoring from stoppages inside 50.

We require our forwards to perform miracles to score. We watch time and again our opponents score so easily it’s a mockery of our attempts.

This has been hinkleys entire time here. He refuses to change the gameplan that isn’t working and keeps demanding more players and more from his players

Players again letting Ken down badly.
Koch may well ask Ken to commit long term and rebuild the list.
Ken is Port’s biggest asset, time to really let him get to work now …

ladies and gentlemen the struggling alcoholic in text form

Geez theres some real "Me, Me, Me" players getting around for the power.

Rozee electing to play in a showdown with a hammy strain is just simply selfish. JHF clearly just wants the limelight and Willie Rioli is the exact same.

Todd Marshall has gone backwards at a rate of knots as well.

New coach next year for the Pear.
You'd have him in your side in a heartbeat.

Freomaniac is a woman. the competitive juices dont run quite as strong

Hang on, my partner is a Lions girl and she can't stand Fagan as coach.

Thinks he's too soft and doesn't hold players accountable.
And she's a very girly girl.

You don't need to be a bloke to see Kenny should step down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back