Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne game was the low point for me. WCE couldn't do a thing wrong in that game.

Those who think we are headed for a slide might well be correct. We definitely have lost some key best 22 players and got nothing for them. It’s possible if rumours are true that in 2021 we will be paying Treloar Stephenson Phillips Beams and Langdon to not play for us!!!!

But like you I think there is hope. The core list is strong and will be better with Sidebottom and Howe in the side along with JDG and Cox getting a cleaner run with injury, and Grundy returning to his best form. Plus the next generation stepping up, led by Sier Rantall the Browns Kelly and Keane etc, and maybe some long overdue immediate impact from first year draftees.

Those who think we are headed for a slide might well be correct. We definitely have lost some key best 22 players and got nothing for them. It’s possible if rumours are true that in 2021 we will be paying Treloar Stephenson Phillips Beams and Langdon to not play for us!!!!

But like you I think there is hope. The core list is strong and will be better with Sidebottom and Howe in the side along with JDG and Cox getting a cleaner run with injury, and Grundy returning to his best form. Plus the next generation stepping up, led by Sier Rantall the Browns Kelly and Keane etc, and maybe some long overdue immediate impact from first year draftees.
I agree that we may drop next year. Our depth has taken a hit and god knows what the psychological impact of this trade period will be.

We're going to need some of our youth to step up and play a role, but considering how ordinary our role players were in 2020, with the exception of Noble and Madgen, the kids won't have to step up too far to match 2020. And I do expect an improved season from our top group. So I think it's more likely we maintain rather than plummeting.

I agree that we may drop next year. Our depth has taken a hit and god knows what the psychological impact of this trade period will be.

We're going to need some of our youth to step up and play a role, but considering how ordinary our role players were in 2020, with the exception of Noble and Madgen, the kids won't have to step up too far to match 2020. And I do expect an improved season from our top group. So I think it's more likely we maintain rather than plummeting.

Yes I agree our kids didnt progress as well as hoped last year... Madgen Noble as you mentioned plus Quaynor and Daicos the exceptions. However 2020 was a stinking year and without a proper VFL competition for development, it was a tough ask to expect much from them. The third and fourth year players like Murphy Sier Lynch (maybe) Keane T Brown Kelly should get better opportunities next season. On top of last years quality draftees. Along with improved output from Grundy Sidebottom Cox Howe and DeGoey that should enough to keep us up around the levels achieved this year. But there’s no guarantee that will all happen and there’s no wriggle room for injuries.

Last edited:
I never thought we were paying for him at north. I thought it was widely reported North was paying it all, hence the crap picks we got for him.

Depends what rumours you want to believe

Others will have you think we are paying Phillips Treloar Stephenson Beams and Langdon to not play for Collingwood. I hope the situation is not that dire....

And that
The Treloar compo is no more than 100k per annum
We arent paying for Stevo
We arent paying for Phillips
We didnt pay Beams two years in full or anything remotely close to it
Langdon is not on huge money... and makes a strong recovery and return to senior football.

So I think it's more likely we maintain rather than plummeting.

So aimlessly mid table, like years 14 - 17. Seems we're headed there again for a sustained period when you look at the oppositions improvement.

In the meantime the guys in the thread title may improve even more so and may attract opposition interest. They may be tempted, after all the end game for players is flags - so they may get a shot at that but not at Collingwood.

Also in that time the club has wasted the careers of Pendles, Sides and Howe etc. Pretty sh*tty outlook if you ask me.

So aimlessly mid table, like years 14 - 17. Seems we're headed there again for a sustained period when you look at the oppositions improvement.

In the meantime the guys in the thread title may improve even more so and may attract opposition interest. They may be tempted, after all the end game for players is flags - so they may get a shot at that but not at Collingwood.

Also in that time the club has wasted the careers of Pendles, Sides and Howe etc. Pretty sh*tty outlook if you ask me.
If we maintain whilst getting games into some guys who kick on, it'll be a good season.

If we maintain whilst getting games into some guys who kick on, it'll be a good season.

From a development perspective yes, IF our coaching panel are up to it. I don't need to tell you it's a two way street, not just on the player to 'improve' they need guidance from good coaching. So on that I don't really have any confidence and I'd be surprised if our coaching panel can really make a stark difference.

So at best we can 'hope' for a good development year, more than certain that's not how our ageing stars want to finish their twilight time - they'd rather be contending.

In saying that I'm sure those guys would be in the belief the group as a whole is still in contention, but we both know that's likely a hiding to nothing if we do contend then that'd be very very surprising and would heavily rely on all factors going our way - but hey we're Collingwood so that's also unlikely.

Changed my view on what we should do with our picks: if the club think McDonald is the next big thing and he’s still on the board at 2 then trade all our picks for him

Grab the 2-biggest upside / gambles late then add them to Reef this year plus Daics, our 2nd rounder/s in 2021 as well as hopefully a youngish gun mid in trade/ FA then the list is reshaped w potential

Changed my view on what we should do with our picks: if the club think McDonald is the next big thing and he’s still on the board at 2 then trade all our picks for him
No KPF drafted since Buddy would justify the trade cost. Seems a long shot that the second highest rated KPF this year will end up justifying that cost. You'd only consider it if you didn't value pick 14 and 16 due to the unknowns in this upcoming draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No KPF drafted since Buddy would justify the trade cost. Seems a long shot that the second highest rated KPF this year will end up justifying that cost. You'd only consider it if you didn't value pick 14 and 16 due to the unknowns in this upcoming draft.

If hes that good then the Crows shoudl take him with pick one.

If hes that good then the Crows shoudl take him with pick one.
True - but the Tigers should have taken Buddy at 1 / Melb should have taken Dusty at 1 etc

I understand the points that both you and sr36 are making, and I usually agree with you, but I'm done, it's time.

Time to draft a side-changing KPF and start building around him

True - but the Tigers should have taken Buddy at 1 / Melb should have taken Dusty at 1 etc

I understand the points that both you and sr36 are making, and I usually agree with you, but I'm done, it's time.

Time to draft a side-changing KPF and start building around him

StKilda took McCartin and GWS took Patton at 1.

I reckon its crazy to give away three picks to get only one back. All the eggs in one basket.

If the trade is even do-able.

StKilda took McCartin and GWS took Patton at 1.

I reckon its crazy to give away three picks to get only one back. All the eggs in one basket.

If the trade is even do-able.
I'd be excited if we traded up and got McDonald, but it'd be a bit of a mug punters call when you consider that Cameron and maybe Tom Lynch are probably the only two KPFs recruited in the last 15 years who would have justified the price we'd have to pay. Daniher would have got there without injuries. Maybe the King brothers will get there, but it's still pretty slim pickings, especially as every year it becomes harder and harder to be a dominant KPF.

I'd be excited if we traded up and got McDonald, but it'd be a bit of a mug punters call when you consider that Cameron and maybe Tom Lynch are probably the only two KPFs recruited in the last 15 years who would have justified the price we'd have to pay. Daniher would have got there without injuries. Maybe the King brothers will get there, but it's still pretty slim pickings, especially as every year it becomes harder and harder to be a dominant KPF.

Exactly

Id rather have multiple picks and land a Darling as well as some midfielders, rather than one pick and hope to land a Kennedy. For example.

Funny you mention Daniher. Hes a father-son so not really in the picture. If only we had a father-son key position player as good as Daniher. Hang on.............................................

Yep could go either way

Could trade up and he turns out to be a McCartin
Could be a Buddy
Could stick with our picks and land a Darling
Could stick w our picks and land a Ben Kennedy / Broomy

It’s not hard to see how teams widely vary in their ranking of players
From the HS article on our 2014 draft, we had Bruzzy around pick 6 - why didn’t other clubs?
In 2009 we’d have happily draft Beams at 11 if Sidey not available - why didn’t other teams grab him?

Doesn’t matter what I think, I have no say in it but if they rate Mc, then go for it

Could stick w our picks and land a Grundy/Ben Kennedy / Broomy

EFA.

Keep your picks and you increase the chances of getting at least one success.

Trade all your picks away and all your eggs are left in the one basket. Much higher risk for arguable reward.

EFA.

Keep your picks and you increase the chances of getting at least one success.

Trade all your picks away and all your eggs are left in the one basket. Much higher risk for arguable reward.
Agree but we could go back and forward all day
In retrospect, I’d happily pay our 2013 picks 6+10 for pick 4...huge cost but imagine

You’re probably right but I’d be happy for the club to move up if possible
- Regardless, I just want to look back and think we did the right thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back