Can we make the finals in 2018

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
We're mathematically gone now as we enter four years without finals, which is the third worst period in the club's history. As we enter 2018, can we finally get back into the top 8 or are we setting ourselves up for more pain ahead?

As it stands I don't feel confident about our prospects without their being a shake up in the off-season, whether it be with the playing list or the coaching staff, or a combination of both.

It's just a gut feeling at this stage, but I suspect Buckley will be re-signed, but changes will occur in other areas of the football department similar to what we saw with Richmond last year. I also think the club will be pushing to bring in some competent KPP talent, which is lacking at the moment.

Can we.... certainly. Will we... that's a tougher question, I'd hope so.

I thought potentially we'd finish in the finals this year if things went well and we now know how that went.

Before we look at a finals spot in 2018, the list has glaring deficiencies. We need to get another key back so Reid can stay forward or a key forward so Reid can move back to CHB.
We need pace off half back with a player who can create the play with their disposal. Also think we need a backup ruckman, if Grundy goes down and misses games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before we look at a finals spot in 2018, the list has glaring deficiencies. We need to get another key back so Reid can stay forward or a key forward so Reid can move back to CHB.
We need pace off half back with a player who can create the play with their disposal. Also think we need a backup ruckman, if Grundy goes down and misses games.
The key position player, either forward or back, is certainly a big need. The others you list though are already there in my estimation. The pace and kicking off half back lies with 3 (possibly 4) players in Varcoe, Sinclair and the fast developing Maynard. Possibly Ramsey too. A new recruit will not have the experience these (mostly) have and will not be able to step straight in. Howe could fit this bill too, if the interceptions are mostly handled by Scharenberg and Langdon. Cox is the backup ruck. There would not be many better spares in the league. Lynch seems to be developing too.
So the one clear target is a tall defender or forward. If we are talking next year, then the draft will not provide him. He will have to be bought, and there are not a lot of options. It would seem that we are depending heavily on McLarty coming on very quickly.
A notabe lack in our side is the big bodied medium tall player in the Darling mold. The player who does not star, but fairly regularly takes strong marks and kicks a few goals. We should be looking for one or two of those.

No.
Not under the current regime.

The expression goes, "everything changes but nothing changes".

We won't play finals under Buckley.
We already have twice. :D

But anyway :eek:

Lots of medium teams.
More or better accuracy.
Young ones go up a level or two.

It's possible.

You can only go forward. Build and build and build some more.

That's all you can do.

It's certainly possible.

Last edited:

Yet if McLarty comes on next year and Sinclair and Ramsay both hit the ground running we've actually got 2 of the more critical 3 things you think we need.

Easily, A new coaching group and clearer direction will see us play finals next year, A smart coach will make sure team stops working so hard for it's results and instead works a lot smarter.

Back