Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer if Carlton could find two more forwards who could kick 20 goals in a season - preferably all of them in games against Collingwood.
JSOS (played quite a bit of ruck due to injuries and kicked 17 - should be in a permanent fwd role this year) and Fisher (kicked 18 in 2022) are the obvious ones to make that jump. Durdin and Motlop both still very young but capable of getting there in 2023 as well (kicked 15 and 12 from 12, respectively). If Martin can perform a miracle and play 15+ games in 2023 he's another that can easily get past 20 goals (12 from 12 in 2022).

JSOS (played quite a bit of ruck due to injuries and kicked 17 - should be in a permanent fwd role this year) and Fisher (kicked 18 in 2022) are the obvious ones to make that jump. Durdin and Motlop both still very young but capable of getting there in 2023 as well (kicked 15 and 12 from 12, respectively). If Martin can perform a miracle and play 15+ games in 2023 he's another that can easily get past 20 goals (12 from 12 in 2022).

If buts and maybe's mate - SOJ gets an 'excuse' because he was playing ruck for half a season - the rest have a lot to prove as far as kicking goals goes. Do yourself a favour and put a line through Martin - he wont play more than 10 games in '23. Cross your fingers that Cunningham gets back on the paddock - Cunners doesn't miss set shots and can make a goal out of nothing - that is the bloke the team has really missed up forward. Motlop will do well to get 20 I don't think Durdin is much different to Owies as far as set shots go....Fisher...maybe ...biut I wouldn't put any money on it...

If buts and maybe's mate - SOJ gets an 'excuse' because he was playing ruck for half a season - the rest have a lot to prove as far as kicking goals goes. Do yourself a favour and put a line through Martin - he wont play more than 10 games in '23. Cross your fingers that Cunningham gets back on the paddock - Cunners doesn't miss set shots and can make a goal out of nothing - that is the bloke the team has really missed up forward. Motlop will do well to get 20 I don't think Durdin is much different to Owies as far as set shots go....Fisher...maybe ...biut I wouldn't put any money on it...
Of course it's buts and maybes - it's preseason mate. Not expecting all of them to get there in 2023 but I do think our forward line is our most inexperienced line and we haven't seen close to the best of them yet. Exciting stuff to work with imo. And agree about Cunners - was a fan of him and will be a big bonus if he can get back

Carlton’s forward line and midfield is probably the difference.

I think this is likely the worst forward line of all sides vying for finals in 2023.

View attachment 1603014

I'm not gonna straddle the barbed wire fence on this one mate. The Lip playing forward? C'mon man. Going for more of a flexi of a forward line look with Jaicos Naicos Hill De GOAT spending mins in there. Checkers is ok. Not on an easy wicket now though. The Elm Street Big Mason Cox Ash The DCam keen as mustard to play a part. Elliott The Gin McCrazy go allright. The Big Mack Truck interesting. Not there to snag a big bag of sausage rolls each and every week. He'll give us a good 35-45 odd this season I reckon. Give us more of a wriggle on with the spread as well. Play some mins in the ruck. Whatever. Our forward line is designed to create confusion and surprise. It's not The Big Mack Truck Elliott Checkers The Gin Hill De GOAT McCrazy centric. Our mids are not gonna look up and go 'righto.. he's a Cadbury moment.. let's just wallop it long to the Big Mack Truck'.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna straddle the barbed wire fence on this one mate. The Lip playing forward? C'mon man. Going for more of a flexi of a forward line look with Jaicos Naicos Hill De GOAT spending mins in there. Checkers is ok. Not on an easy wicket now though. The Elm Street Big Mason Cox Ash The DCam keen as mustard to play a part. Elliott The Gin McCreez go allright. The Big Mack Truck interesting. Not there to snag a big bag of sausage rolls each and every week. He'll give us a good 35-45 odd this season I reckon. Give us more of a wriggle on with the spread as well. Play some mins in the ruck. Our forward line is designed to create confusion and surprise. It's not The Big Mack Truck Elliott Checkers The Gin Hill De GOAT McCreez etc centric.
'Embarrassment of riches' is a very appropriate term for our forward line.

What other team has a dozen players on their list capable of kicking 20 plus goals in a season, depending on how much time we choose to play them there based on team balance?
Mihocek
Ginnivan
Elliott
De Goey
Jaicos
Naicos
Johnson
Cox
McStay
Cameron
Hill
McCreery

'Embarrassment of riches' is a very appropriate term for our forward line.

What other team has a dozen players on their list capable of kicking 20 plus goals in a season, depending on how much time we choose to play them there based on team balance?
Mihocek
Ginnivan
Elliott
De Goey
Jaicos
Naicos
Johnson
Cox
McStay
Cameron
Hill
McCreery
If Naicos ever plays in the forward line he'll have to get used to having an opponent.

Of course it's buts and maybes - it's preseason mate. Not expecting all of them to get there in 2023 but I do think our forward line is our most inexperienced line and we haven't seen close to the best of them yet. Exciting stuff to work with imo. And agree about Cunners - was a fan of him and will be a big bonus if he can get back
I rate Harry and Charlie as genuine Top4 team forwards and consider the other 4 positions ( 5 including a bench rotation) to be wide open - meaning nothing special. If 1-2 of the other 5 can develop an ability to kick goals - that will make Harry and Charlie even more dangerous - but as of '22 season - Carlton didn't make finals easily because of the lack of danger in the forward line ex Harry and Charlie.

You can't be confident of winning games against anyone if your forward line poses not much scare factor ex the two obvious targets. You cant expect two targets to kick 6-7 goals each every game to put a score on the board.

That is my question mark over Carlton for season '23 - that and the mounting injury list in pre-season which is an annual bummer.

Given Pies are still one of the oldest teams, a lot will depend on the drop off in their old dudes. If they do a Geelong and keep it up there's no reason they can't finish top 4 if all goes well.

Blues need a new medical team. All healthy we're easily better than the Pies, but I can't remember the last time we had a run of games with a relatively healthy list.

If Naicos ever plays in the forward line he'll have to get used to having an opponent.

Snagged 7 sausage rolls playing what % of the time running off a HBF? Coupla big time snags in the mix?

Naicos would get a gig in any side as a small forward. Win multiple AA's.

Last edited:
Snagged 7 sausage rolls playing what % of the time running off a HBF? Coupla big time goals in the mix?

Naicos would get a gig in any side as a small forward. Win multiple AA's.
I don't doubt that mate, Sammy Walsh has the runs on the board, over to you Naicos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh looky looky.... more individual highlights.

If only AFL was the same as basketball and only 5 players took to the field at any one time, Carlton would be unbeatable!

Naicos - 3 x finals in a one year career;
Walsh - 0 x finals in a 4 year career.
Doesn't make Naicos a better player, next you'll be saying Pendlebury is better than Cripps.

Oh looky looky.... more individual highlights.

If only AFL was the same as basketball and only 5 players took to the field at any one time, Carlton would be unbeatable!

Naicos - 3 x finals in a one year career;
Walsh - 0 x finals in a 4 year career.
Is Joel Selwood a better player than Gary Ablett Jr? Selwood had more finals wins and more premierships yet Gary Ablett is widely regarded as the best midfielder of a generation.

Doesn't make Naicos a better player, next you'll be saying Pendlebury is better than Cripps.
I never said it made Naicos a better player.

I'd rather watch my team play finals and contend for flags than wax lyrical about how good my top echelon of players are yet continually watch other sides play at the pointy end.

But maybe that's just me?!?

I never said it made Naicos a better player.

I'd rather watch my team play finals and contend for flags than wax lyrical about how good my top echelon of players are yet continually watch other sides play at the pointy end.

But maybe that's just me?!?

Contend?

Sure, watching your side "playing" finals is enjoyable, but watching them "win" GFs is on another level all together

But maybe that's just me?

But in the meantime, comparing players is somewhat entertaining

Like this one :tearsofjoy:

Alithia.. everything about that snag was all over red rover.. brilliant.. absolute omorphia.. the only thing that kinda looked a tad NQR about it or whatever.. the way it left his papoutsi.. agh.. etsi ketsi.. etsi ketsi. Signomi.. ala ego.. etsi to vlepo.. signomi.. ala ego.. etsi to vlepo. 😄

Alithia.. everything about that snag was all over red rover.. brilliant.. absolute omorphia.. the only thing that kinda looked a tad NQR about it or whatever.. the way it left his papoutsi.. agh.. etsi ketsi.. etsi ketsi. Signomi ala ego etsi to vlepo. 😄

Hahahahaha skase re :tearsofjoy:

Contend?

Sure, watching your side "playing" finals is enjoyable, but watching them "win" GFs is on another level all together

But maybe that's just me?

But in the meantime, comparing players is somewhat entertaining
It might just be you. Anyone under 30 wouldn't remember when Carlton were any good. I honestly got as much enjoyment out of round 23 last year as i did a flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back