Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

I still have vivid and fond memories of the blues supporters in the bay next to me during the first quarter of the PF talking about flights to Melbourne for the grand final. Inject it straight into my veins.
I still have great memories of you guys singing that hideous song after a goal is scored. And with 3 and a half minutes to go when Cameron put you in front. Then De Goey and Sidey nailed two absolute gems and the siren sounded and we were Premiers hoisting that beautiful, shiney Premiership cup as McRae and The boys celebrated on the podium.

Now that, is what dreams are made of:cool:

:thumbsu:

I still have great memories of you guys singing that hideous song after a goal is scored. And with 3 and a half minutes to go when Cameron put you in front. Then De Goey and Sidey nailed two absolute gems and the siren sounded and we were Premiers hoisting that beautiful, shiney Premiership cup as McRae and The boys celebrated on the podium.

Now that, is what dreams are made of:cool:

:thumbsu:

Which song?

Games coming up

North - Win
Dockers - Win
Adelaide - Win
GWS - win
Geelong - win
Pies - loss
Dees - Win
Swans at the SCG - Win
Gold Coast - Win
Port away - Loss
Bombers - Win
Geelong - Win
Richmond - Win
Giants away - loss
Bulldogs - which dogs team turns up who knows
North - win
Port - win
Collingwood - win
Hawks - win
Eagles - win
Saints - ??

They'll split games with us and the Giants what order who knows but they'll go 1-1 in each.
Port away I'll go loss
Adelaide game could be an L but you have to favor the Blues in Melbourne

Teams like Dogs, Hawks, Saints well they're banana skin games for anyone and The Sainters match up comes in the final home and away game of the season that could be a dead rubber for them who knows. The Dees and Swans could take a game off them but I'd back the Blues in both of those match ups.

Carlton won't lose anymore than 6 games and that will be a top 4 finish. They could potentially only drop 4 or 5 but 6 seems about right. They'll be top 4 and from there they have every chance. Last year they made the Prelims from outside the 4 as did the Giants. They've gone to the hardest venue in footy at the minute and they came back from 46 points down. If they can do that they can do anything.

Never let your bias get in the way of a good yarn.

Shocked they are only 4th favourite.. why are GWS flag favourites over Brisbane/Pies with Carlton further back

Well this feels like pumping us only to hope to see us fail, which I understand.

Now, sure, we can win the flag. Whether it's this year or a few down the road though, who knows. I think we're very much still a work in progress. We're capable of doing a lot of damage and cutting a team up, yet also capable of producing some absolute Benny Hill stuff with a string of comedic errors like last night. We can literally be our own worst enemy. There's a lot of maturity to the group, but still a few ingredients missing for the overall dish.

They can.

The volume of times a team starts either well (smashing some sides early on like Melbourne did in 2022 - only one team got within 2 goals of them in the first 10 rounds) or by exhibiting the signs of a ‘tough’ team like the Pies the same year and DONT win I suspect far outweighs the amount of times a team has two single digit wins in the opening two rounds and goes on to win the flag.

They are undoubtedly one of the teams who are in the mix, but I don’t think the results so far impact on that much.

I'd love to see Vossy win a flag as coach. It would be a wonderful redemption story for a bloke who had it all as far reputation went, then lost much of it. To get it back again with premium would be good for the human spirit. For is there anything better than seeing a person fall, and rise again against the odds? I wouldn't go as far as saying it'd be christlike, Vossy didn't actually die, but you know, marching metaphors and all that.

And if one is looking for an historical sign, a portent, of what could happen, of lightening striking twice in the same place, and why wouldn't it strike again if the tall iron rod was still in its place? For there was another bulldogged and irrespressible midfielder who ventured down to Carlton in the 60s who sweated blood and spat fire and won them a flag. Or two.

So why not in similar vein Voss?

Oh please give me a spell.
I live in Adelaide, so I have to tolerate the most biased bullshit media coming from all angles.

So don't give me the Vic Bias angle because compared to the non-stop bombardment of only two teams in the AFL, Victoria are the most open minded media outlets there are.

In SA, news is unwatchable, radio is unlistenable and the paper is unreadable.
I would seriously be forgiven for thinking that Port or Crows are not only going to win the next 5 flags but they have also won the last three.

I cant take it anymore, I want to go home :mad::shoutyoldman::'(
SA media is state based, AFL media is supposed to be National...

I thought you were brighter than that.

Swans, GWS and Brisbane are going to be hard to beat. So many options in the forward lines and the rest of the teams looking pretty stacked too.

We'd need a Curnow and Mckay masterclass to get past any of the 3 in a big game imo, we just don't have much else going for us up forward in comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t really look much better than we did early last year, though the problems seem a bit different.

We are trying to get our turnover game working which has been quite successful, just we seem to have lost a bit too much around the contested/stoppage stuff.

It’s good to bank the wins, but we are going to have some good players returning after the bye, so we might see some fluctuation in performances, as long as we can keep the ledger greater than 50-50 early we look in decent shape.

Hopefully we get to round 6 4-2 or better.

Lol, I dont mind Carlton or Vossy but give me a break, they beat a side no one rates by 5pts who were 3 men down before half time coming off a 5 day break that last played in QLDs humidity.
Considering 2 of those 3 men down were defenders, how they couldnt score themselves is of concern enough in itself.

As I said in the gameday thread, last nights result says more about how Brisbane could fold from 46pts up than this result.

And im stuffed if I know why theres so much hype around Cripps, his disposal is woeful for a guy who struts around like he does.

Cripps would have minimum 5 Brownlow votes from 2 games, not sure what you’re going on about there, or much of the above.

Richmond really brought the heat last night, and still have enough good players when they bring it together can challenge the best sides as they did last year. They look to be in decline and I could easily see them losing to bottom sides, but on their day can still be a challenge.

I expected last night to be close and for us to find a way. We really should have put it to bed earlier with the chances we had, but tigers were great how they fought it out.

We will have to play much better footy than we have first 2 weeks in order to win a flag or even finish top 4, but we have seen that we can. It’s a long season, so banking wins is important.

We got to 3.5 out of 4 last year before we lost 8 of 9. Even though we weren’t playing great early on in those initial 3 wins, we at least got them which meant our late season run wasn't in vain.

Agreed, and when you combine all that with Richmonds situation it paints a very negative picture of Carltons actual ability.

Only Vic media deadhead sychophants like David King could find a positive in being 46pts down against a side that could cave in and lose, followed by a 5pt win against a depleted non contender. And only then because he is so Vic biased in everything he suggests he needs every hope he can find.

Then he'd spin it the other way and say Richmond are also the real deal for standing up under adversity.

Well no one had beaten Brisbane at the Gabba at all last year, so winning that isn’t just some random fluke.

Good sides find a way to win, 2022 pies were having to come back from 5 goals down to beat sides like North and Essendon.

Lol Vic bias, we did make a prelim last year and won 2 finals. It’s not like we are just some bottom 6 side who won their opening 2 games.

In saying all that, we will need to get better. But it’s a long season, so bank the wins.

They played ordinary football last night at times against a mistake riddled Tigers.
At times they were playing like millionaires especially Fantasia who I can’t see making it into their premiership side this year.

They’ll lose and find form this year so hopefully they find it at the right time.

Collingwood last year were one of the only sides I can ever remember who won a premiership when they were out of form, their last 8 weeks was lacklustre and they still managed it.

Carlton will need to be in form and firing to win it so timing and injuries will be key.

They’re definitely a tough side to beat.

Fantasia will be dropped, as we have 4-5 other players who should be available v north after the bye (Weitering, Marchbank, Martin, Motlop and Elijah hollands)

Swans, GWS and Brisbane are going to be hard to beat. So many options in the forward lines and the rest of the teams looking pretty stacked too.

We'd need a Curnow and Mckay masterclass to get past any of the 3 in a big game imo, we just don't have much else going for us up forward in comparison.

Martin and Motlop have been badly missed.

Shocked they are only 4th favourite.. why are GWS flag favourites over Brisbane/Pies with Carlton further back
I have said it before and I will say it again, for those who are hard of hearing.

McRae won a flag with the Richmond style, now Kingsley has had a year of teaching it to GWS.
That was a great game style and still stands up.

GWS are basically Richmond with talent, so why shouldn't they be favorites.

Swans will tear you apart.

Wish fulfilment. You do realize just because you want something to happen doesn’t mean it will.

Dont play them till Round 10 anyway.

giphy.gif

Free kick counts arent always a sign on their own, but certainly there were a few baffling calls.

But the Blues were unable to get a clearance on their own for nearly the entire night. That isnt a good look for their midfield.
It’s actually a good sign that they’ve won while their midfield was down.

Previously they’ve been overly reliant on midfield domination.

As the season continues on I find it very hard to believe a midfield with Cripps, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy and maybe Walsh is going to struggle winning clearances.

Free kicks are counted as clearances and contested possessions, arent they ?

Only if they are awarded from a stoppage. Besides that, if you have the ball at a stoppage and are infringed upon, then you have genuinely won the stoppage. It's not like they are gifts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back