Preview Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 21st May 4.40PM (AEST) @ Domain Stadium - Final Team post #778

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile - Sumner/Pcikett/Le Bois are developing and Byrne is back to full training with Sheehan (finally) playing every week...so many reasons to feel increasing confidence in total list rebuild - one more draft and trade period to get to 'ground zero'...

At least two more at a minimum I would suggest.

All good.

Next week is indigenous round and in keeping with the theme they're going to unleash Liam to kill a few Roos .

Is that a bit racist?

It's certainly not meant to be.

I wonder if they'll follow last years formula of recording an interview with Liam talking about how much it means to him to run out for Indigenous round, then drop him for the game two days later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta be Cunners if shortening it.

Cuners would be pronounced 'Coo-ners', which is really awkward.
Preview

Not surprised with Cuningham over the likes of a Jones, especially given the weather forecast of rain

Now that we have the final squad, what are peoples thoughts of match ups?

For mine:

Cuningham - B. Hill
E Curnow - S. Hill
Fisher - Walters

Others to run head to head

Cripps - Fyle (Marchbank to take control when he drifts forward)
Murphy - Neale
Gibbs - Mundy

Negate clearances in the first half, to a break-even result, which will stifle their run. Come out second half and start increasing ball movement

We are in this game !!
Curnows best matchup is clearly lachie neale and he just happens to be their best player (IMO.. with fyfe still broken)

Bolton and SOS have put in place a deeper list and a more competitive culture. No surprises that the contract renewal year ( how many players are up for one this year?) coincides with and adds to the understanding that the era of cosy comfort and accepted mediocrity is over.

Bolton is correct in making it clear to each player what the requirements for relevance are. If Jones or anyone else is living up to these new standards and makes themselves of relevance to the needs of the team - then they should be acknowledged.

Kreuzer got a low offer to stay on a year ago - that signaled to everyone that they have to be on the right side of the cost versus return curve - same for Casboult who is playing for his career in terms of potential earnings and all of a sudden his kicking has improved to be better than the average forward. I am not surprised to see blokes trying hard and perhaps even succeeding.

Graham who I don't rate at all is at least filling a gap and if he can lift why not Jones? I read teh post match summary on Boekhurst which stated that he is running both ways and going in hard when he has to - a masive change in application from Malthouse days - good on him if he can sustain it. Sumner was a favourite last year but injury has seen him relegated back to earn it status. Pickett ( who I think could be every bit as good as SPS ) has to earn it. Harry Mckay in previous years woudl have been slotted straight in - he has to earn it the hard way. Polson had a call up and was out of his depth in a shellacking at Port - but he knows what he has to do.

The harder it is for kids to get a game - the better on field performances will become, the more relevant to selection that VFL form is - the more options the MC has in team selections. Cuningham is close as was Graham keep it up.

All this is a an enjoyable part of 'the journey' and should make Carlton harder to beat - teh first part of learning how to win.

Bolton knows who Freo's weapons are - lookig forwqrd to seeing how the side matches up and manages a revitalised Freo on thier home turf.
Isn't it great that the senior side can no longer rest on their morals win lose or draw.
With so many players from the VFL kicking the door down for selection, a simple mistake could now see you dropped to the VFL.
Senior players must continue to earn their spots.
Absolutely loving it.

Edit...lol....Laurels...idiot

Last edited:
Curnows best matchup is clearly lachie neale and he just happens to be their best player (IMO.. with fyfe still broken)

Neale is darn good ( great work ethic ), but for 2017 is still climbing the Freo player rankings. Junior Hill holds the reins as best at present.

Blakely will go to Murphy.

Alex Silvagni to shake hands with Fyfe & Sandi, then jog off chasing McCarthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back