Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2024 - Kingy and Benny are back in 24 for K ROCK Football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets keep this thread to questions for the boys rather than discussion posts please

GO Catters

Last edited:
Just a few quick things from the most recent episode.

The 2011 GF margin was 38 points; Benny thought it was that but Kingy thought it was 37. It reminded me of a fun fact about the final score of that game being 119 to 81 and Jimmy B winning the NSM that day and also in his 250th game the score was also 119 to 81. Also another coincidence about that scoreline is the two scores are the margins in the most recent and least recent modern era GFC flags: 119 in 2007 and 81 in 2022.

On the hypothetical question of what pick would Tommy have been taken with in the 2006 National Draft if he hadn’t been John “Jumping Jack” Hawkins’s son? I don’t believe he would’ve gone at #1 as I think Bryce Gibbs (who just missed out on being Crows eligible through his father’s SANFL career) was the consensus best prospect. Also Carlton had drafted Josh Kennedy the year before and had Fevola dominating at full forward so probably didn’t want him as much if they were recruiting on a “needs” basis.

Hawkins was very highly rated as a junior. But the top end of that draft was considered absolutely exceptional and very even. James Frawley and Jack Reiwoldt lasted to picks 12 and 13 but could've been top 5 picks (in many drafts they would have been). Selwood sliding was considered reasonable because clubs were opting for other elite talents even though that's not how it worked out.

Basically Hawkins would've gone somewhere between 2 (Gibbs was consensus number 1) and just outside the top 10.

Hawkins was very highly rated as a junior. But the top end of that draft was considered absolutely exceptional and very even. James Frawley and Jack Reiwoldt lasted to picks 12 and 13 but could've been top 5 picks (in many drafts they would have been). Selwood sliding was considered reasonable because clubs were opting for other elite talents even though that's not how it worked out.

Basically Hawkins would've gone somewhere between 2 (Gibbs was consensus number 1) and just outside the top 10.

The hype on the 2006 National Draft just looks bewildering now with hindsight. Scott Gumbleton at #2, Lachlan Hansen at #3 and don’t forget Mitch Thorpe at #6 who played just two games. Also Gibbs was certainly a good player but hardly a breathtaking performer. He won one B&F and never made the AA, but he was selected in the squad once; for a player taken at #1 that’s pretty disappointing.

There was talk going around at the time that Marc Murphy, who was taken at #1 in 2005, wouldn’t have even gone in the top ten if he’d been in the 2006 draft class. When asked about this claim by Huddo on SEN Noel Judkins, who was running recruiting at Collingwood at the time and had been at Essendon in the 1990s, said it was a little bit hyperbolic. He said he would definitely still have gone top ten but probably not top five; probably perceived as at around the same worth as Joel was.

Last edited:

Random thought on the Hawk jnr rating question... Was he potentially never talked about as a number 1/2 etc BECAUSE it was never an option for him? He was always coming to us obviously as a F/S so he wasn't in the discussion

We are exceptionally lucky as a fan group to have the k rock guys pull a podcast every week.

Yeah, that was my point, albeit communicated as inelegantly as a many fine Geelong ruckmens' kicking style or perhaps even that of a former pick 7 cat in the draft.
Others are entitled to criticise, that's their right, but at the same time we can rebut those criticisms, and show our support.
It's rare in AFL land that people can be themselves and have honest opinions, and that's what makes the KRock boys authentic and genuine.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I still haven’t been able to listen to the podcast on Apple - anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I still haven’t been able to listen to the podcast on Apple - anyone else having similar issues?

said on KROCK that they will be looking into it this week after long weekend.

They know theres an issue

Can use the link posted earlier in this thread unitl then

GO Catters

Hi all,

Recording at 2pm Thursday.

Questions, comments and criticisms here!

Kingy
Gentlemen could you settle some disputes for the board please:

1. Conway vs Meek
Some on the board arguably carried away with his performance, but some also saying he was comfortably beaten by Meek. I personally think some might be looking at Meeks work against SDK and Blitz and mistaking that for Conway.
Did Meek win the battle or is Conway being judged by ruck contested he wasn't in?

2. Bruhn's ToG%
Big stats for small 66% time on ground for the young fella. Tracking well but should we be worried about endurance? Is he damaging enough?

3. Atkins subbed
Atkins has earned some serious trust but got subbed after 1 kick to 3 qtr time. Is this risk management for the adductor or should we be worried?

4. Oppo run of goals
We had a couple of significant runs against us in that game. Is there something we're not doing in stopping this?

A little discussion on Boris vs Stewart... who is better?

Hard to split but dont really want to get into that.

However. has there ever been a better custodial care of a player number than 44 going from Boris to Stewart.

The '44 since when Boris got it in 99 has to have been the most successful number at the club.
4 Flags, 10 or so AA, Bnf's at the club...

My question is has there been a better or more successful number at the club from any era?

ANd good luck to whomever gets it next..

Neale watch - kicked 3 and maybe replaces Tommy if they rest him or Jezza if the rolled ankle doesnt come up?

Big game this one - GO Cats

Side note - let’s get Benny calling some GAS moments on YouTube .. new segment.. “Benny calls God”
Make it happen !

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

Recording at 2pm Thursday.

Questions, comments and criticisms here!

Kingy

Good win against a team that lifts against us. Still feel we lack clearance winners, that will improve with bruhn Clark as they gain experience. However at one stage, bruhn was the only multiple clearance winner for cats midway thru third term. For the reason, I’d like to see Jack Bowes play mid next week. Liked the game of Conway, Dempsey also showed he has many bows. Parfit playing himself back into a contract. Cats league leaders in tackles. Thought o Connor battled and I’d prefer bews in that small defensive spot.
Still think the cats could target a fun midfielder in trades potentially at seasons end. VFL boys got done but Lawson humpries showed some real dash and flair, 23 touches off half back. Early days but could be a player.
Also Connor o Sullivan took the chocolate against Jack Gunston in vfl, he’s tracking very nicely in the number 14.
Question- who would you target as a potential trade that wouldn’t cost the world but could slot in with bruhn Clark etc moving forward?

Gents,
2 questions for this week!

Q1. While watching the football this weekend I noticed there feels like there are more "selfish" players in the league. I won't name names, but you probably know to whom I refer. Some of the celebrations when well behind on the scoreboard (and no milestone) are probably in part contributing to this sentiment. We seem to have lost the old cliche that a champion team will beat a team of champions.
It feels like Geelong has avoided these types of players. Presuming you agree, do you think this is the culture? I can't help but think Hawkins and Selwood et al would be a big influence on this. Or good recruitment, including trading out those with this trait?

Q2. I tend to agree the silence re: Holmes contract is not a good sign. But I have noticed his disposals after running free are often missing targets and leading to turnovers. There were at least 2 Hawks goals from turnovers when Holmes kicked it to their defenders. It may be negative bias making it feel more common than not.
Have you noticed this and do you think this may be part of the hesitation in a contract extension?

Keep up the fantastic work, loved the call Monday. I hear Tian Braylor was appalling in his commentary during Monday's game.

Gents,

Another Great Call on Monday as per usual - Would love to have heard Kingy and Benny in the same commentary team as Ej Whitten, Peter Le Grand and Brian Brushfield that really would be Krock's Hall of Fame Commentary Team.........anyway onto the game

What is clear is that we got a steal giving up pick 25 and Cooper Stephens for Ollie Henry - the kid is a star in the making. how do Wells and Mack continue to make out like Robin Hood and Frier Tuck at trade time?

Thought Bruhn, Clark, Parfitt, Holmes and Loch Ness Conway were outstanding in the middle - Loch Ness reminds of a Cross between Damien Bourke & Brad Ottens. If Rhys Stanley was watching his 1st Quarter he was watching his own career end.

As good as they were the Cats must do everything possible to get Bailey Smith or Clayton Oliver as without Danger we miss a Bigger Body at Clearence.

Watching Hawthorn Struggle with there rebuild makes me glad that Chris Scott made those hard decisions with Chappy, Stevie J, Joel Corey and Stokes at the end of 2015 because it appears the Hawks are stuggling to let go of Bruest & Gunston.

Lastly on Tom Hawkins, could he play 400 because the last 350 haven't been too bad have they.

Just a question you guys had Andrew Mackie pregame, I was wondering why you didn't ask him questions regarding potential contract talks? obviously Holmes would have been the main one all cats fans would have wanted to know about. Is it due to K-Rock and the footy club in recent times being on relatively good terms and don't want to cause issues.

Boys...
Once again, I have said this before , but Benny Cas, you remind of Homer Simpson.. You are talking about a subject, then all of sudden a tray of dounuts 🍩 has entered the room... Then all of sudden you change your subject to a totally different subject and the dounuts 🍩 has your complete attention.. ( don't change, I bloody love it )...

I just want to give Brendan Parfitt a big round of a applause 👏. I was very concerned that we may not see him at his best at Geelong, and he maybe one foot out of the door.. But his past 2 games have been bloody awesome

Round 3
21 Disposals, 10 tackles 62% game time
Round 2
20 Disposals 10 tackles 69% game time

Also good to see in Round 3 there was up to 6 other teams older then us... Instead of always being the oldest team playing out there..

Cheers FoxDog50

Hi Lads,

How do you thin Oisin is tracking?
There was some good signs on Monday.
He is defending well, if he can unleash his attacking side then he will be really exciting to watch.

Nice left foot skills

Hi all,

Questions, comments, criticisms here as we record at 2pm Thursday

Kingy
This is a minor technical one so not for the pod but just on the editing: can you drop the volume on the intro slightly? I end up with having my ears ringing so badly I can't hear you talking at first.

Kingy.... Homer Simpson 😎
Question to you both...
If Stanley retires at season's end ( firstly great game by him against English)
What would you do about another ruckman.
We have Conway who will be our 1st option. We will have Edwards who we drafted last season, so his only 19 so is still raw and young..
We also have " Frothie Furphy" who is a rookie..

Would you bring in another kid? Or would you pick up a Mature State League Ruckman, just to fill the gap or backup Conway ,Edwards if they are both injured or if there don't make it ( which I'm confident they will make it )
I personally would go a mature state league ruckman, especially when we have 2 young ruckman in the waiting
Cheers FoxDog50

Last edited:
Hi all,

Kingy

To kick nearly 100 points with Jezza and Hawkins combining for 2 goals is a great sign, also having your gun forward push up the ground to be the teams leading possession getter is also great. If he’d kicked straight it was a gaz senior game pants down arrangement. Our young mids of Clark bruhn did well against the dogs juggernaut. Rhys Stanley came back from the Easter break reborn as William Wallace, as he totally dismantled the English. A good ruck problem to now have with Loch Ness.
SDK did a great job on naughton, and got involved in offence also, he will be a gun by 100 games. Stengle making the absolute most of his opportunities, gryan miers the greatest pick 57 in history.
A chance to rest Hawkins for shagger Neale, Duncan could also be rested, maybe even Clark as we have a tough run after the kangaroos.
Finally, max Holmes goal from outside 50 off a step shows he has something in common with another famous Holmes with a long leg

Hi all,

Kingy
Great call the other night...

So glad Benny teed off a bit last week on the lunacy of expectation that the instant gratification crowd are inserting on some younger players.

Development is exactly that.... development.. and it takes time with both good and bad experiences combining to make the player better.

Scotty, and others, have referred to it as the old "overnight success 3 years in the making"

But even when the success come there will be regressions at times too and it seems some just cant understand the ebb and flow that comes as part of development - so good on Benny for making that point.

Neale in this week for mine. Gotta get him rolling. Spine of SDK, Conway and Neale has a lot of potential to like about it going forward.

Question:

In regards to Miers, (how good has he been!!!) - Do you think oppo coaches will now start to employ a defensive tagging role on him to curb his scoring involvement and thus try to clamp our F50 entry ability or will they do same with Stewart? Good problem too have
Looking forward to an arvo game too!

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back