2nds Cats announce VFL women's team

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl-women?camefrom=EMCL_1310691_50285000

The Geelong Cats have taken a major step into the future, announcing it will enter a team in the 2017 VFL Women’s competition.

The Geelong Cats VFL Women’s team will kick-start a new level of female football participation in the AFL Barwon region, and provide a clear talent pathway for all female players to embark on in their careers.

The Cats will become the first AFL club to establish a VFL Women’s side after they assume the current Geelong Magpies licence. The Magpies have been a driving force in women’s football in the region and deserve huge credit for the way they have worked through this process.

This is great news I think, and a stepping stone towards having a team in the AFL women's competition in the next few years. Hopefully there'll be plenty of interest and publicity. I notice that at least some games will be played as double headers with the men's team.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl-women?camefrom=EMCL_1310691_50285000

This is great news I think, and a stepping stone towards having a team in the AFL women's competition in the next few years. Hopefully there'll be plenty of interest and publicity. I notice that at least some games will be played as double headers with the men's team.
We whould have had a team in the AFL women's comp if Fitzpatrick wasn't so corrupt but this is a great step from the club

We whould have had a team in the AFL women's comp if Fitzpatrick wasn't so corrupt but this is a great step from the club

Darebin was the problem. Darebin being the strongest female team with development was closest to Preston and therefore they got the license. Carlton has less involvement than anyone but thats why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one of the reasons the AFL turned down Geelong for a spot in the inaugural AFL women's comp was the lack of support the club has shown for women's football in the Geelong area. So I see this as the Cats doing something about that. This is great news for the girls playing footy around Geelong.

I think one of the reasons the AFL turned down Geelong for a spot in the inaugural AFL women's comp was the lack of support the club has shown for women's football in the Geelong area. So I see this as the Cats doing something about that. This is great news for the girls playing footy around Geelong.

Not sure about that..I feel it was more about dipping the toe..see what the temperature is.

Great move by the club - and when the first wave of expansion happens with the AFLW, we'll be perfectly placed to say "Well, we're already up and running, promotion please"

Also provides a pathway to the girls who didn't get a spot on a senior list this time around. You can't just whack in a top level comp with out supporting all the levels that build up to it.

This is really good to see.

Will be interesting to see if they have more frequent double-headers with their male counterparts next year similar to what happened on a couple of occasions this year. With the AFL tending to shy away from having VFL games as curtain raisers, could be a good way of giving people more value for money by having two games on the day. Could even get some cheer squad members to volunteer to fire up a BBQ for a sausage sizzle to feed the masses to raise extra funds like they have done at VFL practice matches in the past.

So will the women's team be called the Geelong Cats too?
Are the other teams just adopting the club logo, kit and name for the ladies as per the blokes?

So will the women's team be called the Geelong Cats too?
Are the other teams just adopting the club logo, kit and name for the ladies as per the blokes?
Female Cats are called QUEENS, iirc.
Geelong Queens??

Geelong Queens??

I have never heard that before..

Apparently ..
A group of cats is referred to as a "clowder" or a "glaring", a male cat is called a "tom" or "tomcat" (or a "gib", if neutered), an unaltered female is called a "queen", and a juvenile cat is referred to as a "kitten".

As the mens team is not called the Geelong Tom's , Id say we don't need to go down that path. I think they are all just Geelong Footballers . The team is the Cats... as that covers all sexes.

Geelong Queens??

I remember the days when the senior blokes side would be given names of a similar type.

CfP18ZDUYAIslfs.jpg

For those interested, the fixture for the women's team for 2017....

Round 1 - Geelong vs Box Hill, Saturday 6/5/17, Simonds Stadium @ 2.00pm (played after the VFL game)
Round 2 - Geelong vs Seaford, Saturday 13/5/17 (time and venue TBC)
Round 3 - Eastern Devils vs Geelong, Sunday 21/5/17 @ 2pm
Round 4 - Cranbourne vs Geelong, Sunday 28/5/17 @ 2pm
Round 5 - Diamond Creek vs Geelong, Sunday 4/6/17 @ 2pm
Round 6 - VU Western Spurs vs Geelong, Sunday 18/6/17 @ 2pm
Round 7 - Geelong vs Melbourne Uni, Sunday 25/6/17 @ 10.45am, St.Mary's Oval
Round 8 - Geelong vs St.Kilda, Sunday 2/7/17 @ 1pm, Deakin University
Round 9 - Seaford vs Geelong, Saturday 8/7/17 @ 2pm
Round 10 - Geelong vs Cranbourne, Sunday 16/7/17 @ 12pm, Osborne Park
Round 11 - Darebin vs Geelong, Saturday 29/7/17 @ 10am (VFL curtain raiser)
Round 12 - Box Hill vs Geelong, Saturday 5/8/17 @ 11.30am (VFL curtain raiser)
Round 13 - Geelong vs VU Western Spurs, Saturday 12/8/17 @ 11.45am, St.Mary's Oval
Round 14 - Geelong vs Eastern Devils, Sunday 20/8/17 @ 1.00pm, Deakin University

Both games at St Mary's Oval are before AFL home games too.

So it's just over a week until the women's comp starts. Just wondering what people's thoughts on the new competition are and whether or not they think it'll be a success. My personal opinion is that the first season will be a novelty and attract reasonable but not fantastic crowds, second season the novelty will start to diminish and by season three it would have run its race. I for one am thankful geelong didn't obtain a licence this time around as I can see it costing the club too much money that could be invested elsewhere. I am more than happy to be proven wrong though. Would like to hear others thoughts on the topic.

So it's just over a week until the women's comp starts. Just wondering what people's thoughts on the new competition are and whether or not they think it'll be a success. My personal opinion is that the first season will be a novelty and attract reasonable but not fantastic crowds, second season the novelty will start to diminish and by season three it would have run its race. I for one am thankful geelong didn't obtain a licence this time around as I can see it costing the club too much money that could be invested elsewhere. I am more than happy to be proven wrong though. Would like to hear others thoughts on the topic.
I love it. It will hit its straps, but people shouldn't expect high quality in the first five years, IMO. Mind you, look at what the women's 7's team did at the Olympics - anyone who doesn't think they can play with skill, guts and flair like men only need to watch that final. And half that team hadn't played union a year before. Technically, the Aussies tackled better and harder than their male compatriots I reckon. I have no doubt it will be a success.

I think it will be a success and it will fill a very big void in February and March which is a good thing.

Where interest may drop off is there is no Geelong, St Kilda, Hawthorn, West Coast and many other clubs, I don't see Geelong supporters going to a Womans AFL match going come on the Pies.

Unless the AFL was going to introduce 18 womens teams they should have gone with club names from scratch, even if Collingwood had full control of the Olympic Park Rebels.

I think it will have good support, but while 10 teams are missing out it wont have passionate support.

Back