Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m still confused by the Rohan one, it looks terrible but I heard someone on SEN today say Rohans feet weren’t on the ground for most part of it. 🤷‍♂️
A lot of people have mentioned the 'feet not on the ground' thing. They were surely on the ground at some point. And it was presumably then that he set himself up for what the MRO have deemed a dangerous tackle. I feel for Rohan - he brings such great energy to his game and I don't think it was intentionally dangerous at all, but I think it's a fair call to say that it crossed a fine line here, especially since they're very clearly trying to wipe this kind of tackle out of the game.

This is the only club board on Big Footy I ever bother reading or posting on. Been posting here intermittently for the past 15 years. I've always been respectful, even when one-eyed mad Catters have stuck their claws into me. I've always been conscious of treading softly and not wearing out my welcome. Never had any problems with the Mods in here. Never been trolling here, despite my previously well-earned, but now undeserved reputation as a shitfighter on other boards

Funny how I became somewhat attached to this board , but it's just the way it is... ¯\(ツ)/¯ It started out as me wondering "What are they saying about us?" and over the years just developed into me liking the general quality of discussion on this board. (suck, suck :D). I was never really interested in the Hawks board. Preferred robust discussions with oppo fans on the main board and with Cats fans in here. Same goes for footy discussion at the pub - I prefer yakking to opposition fans.

I don't normally post here about the Hawks. I first saw the MRO news about Day and Rohan here in this thread and posted my honest shocked reaction.

For me, it's not really a club v club thing. I don't get any glee from seeing opposition players suspended. Hawthorn are fookin' shite and I'm feeling pretty numb about the AFL, so us losing Day for 2 matches doesn't bother me. For me, this is more of a wider "AFL WTF???" issue.
I just don't think we are your target audience for sympathy is all haha

Thoughts on the game -

- Good confidence booster for the team but size of win more about where Hawks at presently. Young team without enough fitness to maintain the pressure for the attacking style. Really need to develop the plan B - slow the game or are going to experience many smashings this year.

- Atkins indeed was the catalyst in 3Q but aided by much better ruck work with shallow taps to feet of Atkins and Danger starting back and charging in.

- Ollie H - looking at some previous games, he looks a little unfit and green - I think the Sub role might suit in a full strength Cats team. (Think his best showing for Magpies - 4 goals - was also as sub). Of course should try to give as much game time to build experience as tactically can afford and will replace Rohan anyway this week.

- Duncan. Superb player, so important to us and will be hard to replace when retires. Cuthrie could be the MC’s succession plan, but I think Dempsey could be better to fit the template - smart/good vision and calm decision maker, huge tank already, agile/good side step, while not elite his speed is okay, reliable/good by foot, dangerous when goes forward and a good mark. Wonder if the VFL giving Dempsey at half back and wing is a sign club also considering.

Suit up, we're going to court.

HAWTHORN and Geelong have both elected to challenge the bans handed out to Will Day and Gary Rohan, respectively.

My final contribution to this thread will be: The reports of Geelong's demise are greatly exaggerated.

I wouldn't be giving them away just yet. History says it's bloody difficult for any team to win B2B flags, and it would be understandable for this Geelong team to lose a little bit of the hunger and desire which drove them on from 2020 to 2022.

If you held a gun to my head and asked me to pick this year's Grand Final result, I would say Melbourne defeats Collingwood by 6 goals

But I reckon all the other teams in finals contention are total pretenders: Brisbane, Sydney, Carlton, Richmond, Bulldogs, Saints, Port
None of them are really up to scratch. It's gonna be a log-jam of teams on 13/14 wins. The Blues will probably manage 15 wins with their easy draw and protected species status.

Geelong are really the only team capable of knocking over the Dees or Pies this September. So you just have to hang in there, keep chipping away, bank the wins and get there to be a chance. You guys have undeniably the league's best home ground advantage with all 9 home games at KP still to come. That's 7 or 8 wins right there. Plus the 2 victories in Rounds 4/5 over the AFL chopping blocks, which makes 9, 10 wins...

You just need to split the remaining games to be right in the mix: Win 3 of [Ess, Rich, Coll, St K, WB] and win 2 of [Freo, Port, Syd, Bris]

That's very do-able.

The Cats proved what a great team they were in 2022 without a massive contribution from Selwood, Danger or Duncan. It was Geelong's evenness all around the ground and superior coaching which got the job done for 16 successive weeks.. It was their team's discipline, structure, 2-way run, rock solid defence and unshakeable belief in what they were doing. You don't lose that over one summer.

Probably also helps your cause to have the league's best player, Cameron working alongside the wily old behemoth, Hawkins.
Can we keep you? :p

Final thoughts after watching the 2nd half again

Guthrie the centreman - some are bagging him bigtime - i thought he played ok

Duncan has been a sensational player for the Cats - 1st game back - i know he got alot of possessions - and 8 coaches votes but i thought quite a few were dinky little chip passes - him and Stewart love waxing short passes

I thought Miers/Close/Stengle - the 3 small forwards all played very well

Holmes and Smith both very good with their genuine leg speed

Rohan will be missed this week - hes got that lightning quick speed - either hitting the contest - or chasing down defenders - which O Henry will never have

In fact if Geelong get their full team Premiership team available again - with Holmes taking Joels spot obviously - then i dont think any of those 3 new players will get a game - none of them are better than any of the premiership players - with the exception of Parfitts sub spot - O Henry might get that - but Bruhn and Bowes wont be seen in Sept - if Geel have got all their premiership players available

Agree on Bruhn, but I think Bowes could lock himself in the 22(possibly Tuohy's spot on current form). Good kicks are always of value, and he's shown something in his first few games.

Also... Really good to see MOC's start to the season. Has been solid in all games so far, I'm hoping he can go to another level this year and provide some internal list improvement.

I clearly don’t understand it then. I thought they wanted to stop players dangerously slinging the player with the ball. Rohan doesn’t do that. An elementary understanding of physics and momentum is all that’s required to see that.

Hint: watch Rohan’s feet throughout the tackle.

Agree- I wouldn't call it a "sling" tackle, if anything Rohan was the one spinning around out of control... but ultimately Rohan did pin his arms and the player he tackled did face plant.... and the onus is on the tackler to prevent head hitting turf. Always going to be some grey area in "actions" given the nature of the sport.

Suit up, we're going to court.

I wonder if there will be a handshake agreement for the clubs to testify for eachother.

Close might testify his foot getting trapped and Jiath could testify his head not hitting the ground and the momentum swinging Rohan around.

Scott was pretty adament that suspensions don't help teams after the fact, so there could be some benefit in helping eachother out.

Edit: so long as it is all in truth

Agree- I wouldn't call it a "sling" tackle, if anything Rohan was the one spinning around out of control... but ultimately Rohan did pin his arms and the player he tackled did face plant.... and the onus is on the tackler to prevent head hitting turf. Always going to be some grey area in "actions" given the nature of the sport.

I'm pretty sure Jiath has one arm free when he impacts the turf, and his head doesn't hit the ground because he lands on his shoulder / side.

Agree

On a related topic…who replaces Rohan? I assume Henry comes into the 22 but then we need a sub

(Assuming SDK comes in for Bews)…. Do they go for a MF as sub (Parf/Bruhn) or a foward replacement (Simpson/Dempsey?)

My bet is Simpson comes in as sub…. Thoughts?
or Parfitt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I clearly don’t understand it then. I thought they wanted to stop players dangerously slinging the player with the ball. Rohan doesn’t do that. An elementary understanding of physics and momentum is all that’s required to see that.

Hint: watch Rohan’s feet throughout the tackle.
if you don't think that was a sling tackle, or looked potentially dangerous, or that Rohan was lucky, you may be justified after Geelong's appeal.

Final thoughts after watching the 2nd half again

Guthrie the centreman - some are bagging him bigtime - i thought he played ok

Duncan has been a sensational player for the Cats - 1st game back - i know he got alot of possessions - and 8 coaches votes but i thought quite a few were dinky little chip passes - him and Stewart love waxing short passes

I thought Miers/Close/Stengle - the 3 small forwards all played very well

Holmes and Smith both very good with their genuine leg speed

Rohan will be missed this week - hes got that lightning quick speed - either hitting the contest - or chasing down defenders - which O Henry will never have

In fact if Geelong get their full team Premiership team available again - with Holmes taking Joels spot obviously - then i dont think any of those 3 new players will get a game - none of them are better than any of the premiership players - with the exception of Parfitts sub spot - O Henry might get that - but Bruhn and Bowes wont be seen in Sept - if Geel have got all their premiership players available
He did play well.
*11 tackles
*highest amount of pressure points
*5 clearances
less noticeable since his alopecia

if you don't think that was a sling tackle, or looked potentially dangerous, or that Rohan was lucky, you may be justified after Geelong's appeal.
I’m certainly glad they appealed. I don’t think this is the kind of tackle they need to be focused on.

In the end a week off isn’t going to matter but I’m more interested in the principle of it.

Just saw the first half of Week 5 'To the final bell' with Cameron Ling and Rene Garing. I think it was Rene Garing but all you could see was the microphone. Ling must have been the technician.

Brisbane for me
Every day of the week, a weak pathetic club ran and played by sooks
They're up there for me too.

I loved their early 2000s side, tough, uncompromising champions...and after that had a soft spot for them because they were just awful every year.

Can't say the same about this new group they've got. They just don't stop talking, and are still yet to achieve anything.

Would be crucified if they played in Victoria, but because they're out of sight out of mind the media just doesn't care.

Yeah call the tackle what you want, it's the bolded that I think matters most. A tackler has a duty to ensure that players heads are not hitting the ground.

I remember the one where Duncan was knocked out from a tackle from the GC player, Holman, where his head slammed into the turf. Everyone backed the tackler, saying it was a textbook tackle. Well if that's the case the textbook needs to be rewritten because too many players are getting head injuries and its simply not acceptable.

If you can't tackle a player in a way that doesn't rapidly bring their head to the ground, then you need to find another way to influence the contest.

If you can't tackle a player in a way that doesn't rapidly bring their head to the ground, then you need to find another way to influence the contest.
Not sure that CJ's head even hit the ground.

Rohan should get a week for stupidity though (not sure if that's an official rule) because the whistle blew well before he laid the tackle.

Agree on Bruhn, but I think Bowes could lock himself in the 22(possibly Tuohy's spot on current form). Good kicks are always of value, and he's shown something in his first few games.

Also... Really good to see MOC's start to the season. Has been solid in all games so far, I'm hoping he can go to another level this year and provide some internal list improvement.
I thought Bowes was ok when in the backline after half time. MOC is playing with more confidence. Good to see him backing himself in.
Hard to get a read on Bruhn yet. Useful depth ATM.

Bowes is in Geelong’s best 22. I get the doubters on Bruhn, he’s going to need to tidy up his ball use.

But Bowes looks like a “Geelong” player to me. Both he and Duncan will complement each other nicely. Duncan an elite ball user - Bowes will improve sharply with him and Stewart alongside him.

And Ollie Henry? Best 22 I think by mid year. Once he gets more confidence, and understand how we want to play I think he’s a lock. Will thrive when Jack is back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bowes is in Geelong’s best 22. I get the doubters on Bruhn, he’s going to need to tidy up his ball use.

But Bowes looks like a “Geelong” player to me. Both he and Duncan will complement each other nicely. Duncan an elite ball user - Bowes will improve sharply with him and Stewart alongside him.

And Ollie Henry? Best 22 I think by mid year. Once he gets more confidence, and understand how we want to play I think he’s a lock. Will thrive when Jack is back.

Bowes seems to have all the right attributes - seems a bit hesitant though , once he settles he'll definitely be in the 22.
Ollie H - he just seems to have the knack of finding the footy and hitting the scoreboard , still a work in progress but upside is huge.

Ollie Henry needs to build up strength more and that will probably take another couple of years. Against the good sides he gets pushed off the ball too easily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back