Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

And we're back baby

First 1/2 was unimpressive but by gee by gingo by crickey did it get going in the 3rd.

After 1/2 time...

Close, Jezza, Tomma, Mitch Duncan, Miers, Stewy, PFD, Atkins, Stengle... Ollie Henry.

All the ones that have been on the s**t list since Rd1.. boy did they turn up.

Not really happy with the oppo rucks taking out out rucks 2 of the last 3 weeks with knees and kicks to the rucks.

Its a long season and this aint the fix all, but geez its a good start and always nice to bury the real Rival we have.

Jezza on track for the Coleman currently too with 7 today.. fair...

And for the Eeyores.... just papering over the cracks

GO CAtters

Last edited:
80+ point wins at the G just hit different.

Jezza is the best player in the comp.

Duncan for me gets 3 votes. Most tried for a half. He was solid all game.

Happy Easter Hawthorn, you’re where you belong. Stone motherless last.

Only the hawks but running themselves into some form. Lots of promising signs. Go cats.
Jez best player in the comp by a mile.
Better second half from Hawkins, Stengle , Guthrie, danger etc- well done Geelong. Good to get a couple of players back. Close, Holmes, Stewart, Atkins finding some touch.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A game of two halves, no doubt. Great game from Jezza again. TBone looked much fitter. Stewie, Sav, & Zuthrie battled all day.

With Cam Guthrie's current haircut, he looks like Joel Corey every time I see him running down the ground.

Hopefully, the Cats can take this form forward.

Bowes second half was good, Holmes best game of the year, Atkins was a beast in the middle and even Danger stood up after i baked him in the first half.

oh and that bloke called Cameron goes alright....make him captain!!!
Stengle and Close finding a bit of form as well.

Bowes is working into this team...

Could see him becoming a Duncan type replacement down the track.

GO Catters

Thank god for that.
Wasn't looking great at half-time. Not terrible. But decidedly not great.
And the suddenly, everything started going right, for the first time this year.

Hawkins influential again.
Close looking sharp.
Stengle looming ominously.
These players had yet to assert themselves in 2023.
Tom Atkins, who also hasn't reached his 2022 heights this season, suddenly showed his grit and value.

Special mention to a few players for their conduct up to and including a 0-3 start a half-time deficit against the 17th best team in the comp:

Gryan Miers - might well be up there in the B+F at this early stage. He's played smart, he's played hard, he's minimized his flaws and made the most of his strengths. I really have to respect and acknowledge the mental side of his game; runs hard week in, week out, and has turned himself into a better than 50/50 bet in a 50/50 contest.

Esava Ratugolea - he's had his ups and downs in 2023 to date, but he hasn't dropped his head or his bundle.
I've been really impressed with his conditioning as much as anything else; he has been called into action big time and despite skill and experience errors he has looked physically up to the challenge.
Today he was excellent, his best game as a KD; no silly mistakes, played within himself and yet chimed in with some big marks early in the game.

Mark O'Connor - he's been really composed and mature during this testing first 4 weeks; nothing silly, but he has taken on every bit of responsibility a player of his experience should take on. Great leadership.

Isaac Smith - his start to the 2023 season is really underlining his greatness. Like a few Hawthorn greats over the past 15 years, my passion as a Geelong supporter had blinded me to Smith's ability over the years. It took that Norm Smith for me to finally accept his impact at Geelong. He has not put a foot wrong this season, despite the rest of the team's erratic form. Respect.

Today, specifically:

Jake Kolodjashnij was rock solid, very good early when we were under pressure and struggling to generate run. Excellent return. Mitch Duncan similarly good.

Jeremy Cameron sublime as usual; while the team has been off the pace up until the 3rd quarter of round 4, Cameron has looked like a player completely in tune with his game. Should have had at least 5 goals last week, 7 a fair return for his class today.

Max Holmes had played 3 reasonable games to date; today he had a really strong 1st half against the tide, and then things got easier for the team and Max as the game progressed. I want this guy locked away on contract for a decade.

I have had 231 opinions of Mark Blicavs over the years, but I have never doubted his effort. The way he fought back after that weak-gutted dog knee from Meek or whoever it was (Reeves?) was epic; really committed stuff.
The aforementioned Tom Atkins was a real catalyst in the 3rd quarter too.

2023 hasn't been much fun to date, but today was hugely cathartic. Cracking 100 points is always a nice box to tick in modern footy, too.

Dangerfield's first win as the club's official captain; liked his game today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back