Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney took over his collingwood contract.

I think we did chase him but i dont think he wanted to move to geelong. Hes a big city type.
As someone, who was born + raised in Sydney, then began going to games in Geelong + Melbourne, there is no comparison. Sydney became so brash, cashed up bogans + developers moved into my very quiet part of Paddington. I call Sydney the New York of Australia + Melbourne the Paris of Australia. In 2014, I could no longer tolerate Sydney. Happily enjoying the quiet Bush life,

Well, good on Grundy, Sydney will certainly off him the big city!

They’re playing games.

He was telling family / friends he was cleared to play and he looked fine on Cameron’s Youtube post early in the week with Dempsey. Even said he was playing golf that afternoon.

I’m not buying it.

They rested him - he wasn’t out “injured”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
IIRC, from AFL injury list, Bruhn was a test ???

Yes but the club has to own this.
Rhys has never ever been the sort of player to play well while playing injured.
If he wasnt fit he shouldnt have played even with no conway. It would at least have given us an extra runner that we needed.
It was a bad tactical call.

Im sure hes a decent person but he shouldnt have put his hand up to play and MC shouldnt have picked him.

Pure..has it been announced by the club that Rs was not fit? What of Neale.. was he fit… or was all our big options basically , to some degree, injured?

The only thing id say about Stanley not playing well when injured .. is how would we know. He may have played badly at times when carrying something but how often has he played well when carrying something? Im sure ist rare for players to be 100% fit. Maybe it depends on what type of niggle.

Can’t have Cameron roaming all over the ground either. He’s kicked one goal in two weeks and we’ve lost both games.
I agree. Cameron up the ground means a slow Tomahawk is easy to defend and run off. And that's why you see Cameron caught ball in hand while he desperately looks for a forward to lead and he doesn't see himself down there.

Pure..has it been announced by the club that Rs was not fit? What of Neale.. was he fit… or was all our big options basically , to some degree, injured?

The only thing id say about Stanley not playing well when injured .. is how would we know. He may have played badly at times when carrying something but how often has he played well when carrying something? Im sure ist rare for players to be 100% fit. Maybe it depends on what type of niggle.

All tall options could be carrying something... As you say, how would we know?

What we do know is that our ruck department was complete tripe last year.

We lost a seasoned ruck in Ceglar and replaced him with two guys who simply were not going to be rucking in the AFL this year (Furf and Edwards).

So we had a weak ruck division that got even weaker.

In a way that is on us... Stanley was never going to be good enough this year and Conway was never going to be ready.

I remember Clarko in his post game presser after their loss against the cats saying they had enough good looks going forward against the cats with open players but weren’t good enough to execute…. Port had free players all over the place and they torched us…. Rioli was left alone half the time… Stewart was off his game early and had to move away from defence to get away from the Port player’s physical approach to him…. And the out the back torching of our lackadaisical defense is deeply concerning given we are playing an open transition style of game.

Uncontested Possessions​

GEELONG
Match

PORT
Match
There is the game right there.No accountability.Rioli's man again invisible.

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    908.2 KB · Views: 6
As someone, who was born + raised in Sydney, then began going to games in Geelong + Melbourne, there is no comparison. Sydney became so brash, cashed up bogans + developers moved into my very quiet part of Paddington. I call Sydney the New York of Australia + Melbourne the Paris of Australia. In 2014, I could no longer tolerate Sydney. Happily enjoying the quiet Bush life,

Well, good on Grundy, Sydney will certainly off him the big city!

I think Cost of Living money just about was cooked when Syd recruited Buddy. They should have only used it for the lower paid on the list but the allegation was that they saved it all and added an extra player.

I think the different cities are probably seen differently to professional sportsmen. The advanatges of Syd to some AFL players.. is the same as the advanatges of Storm to some in the NRL. Out of the heat of the main hub. Its sort of one of the attractions of Geelong to those who wish to return to our tepid blend of city and town, blend of big and boutique clubs with big time games and small town home ground..

I like Syd to visit the city but when im up there , i quickly find the lack of Vic stuff an anoyance ..but guys like Grundy and Buddy and Locket.. one gets the sense that is huge selling point.

All tall options could be carrying something... As you say, how would we know?

What we do know is that our ruck department was complete tripe last year.

We lost a seasoned ruck in Ceglar and replaced him with two guys who simply were not going to be rucking in the AFL this year (Furf and Edwards).

So we had a weak ruck division that got even weaker.

In a way that is on us... Stanley was never going to be good enough this year and Conway was never going to be ready.

yep..we chose to run with the group we have. If all were fit then fine..but like many times in the past.. they all get injured at the same time. Considering Stanley is the age he is ..we could have added another ruck or one more likely to play than Furphy.. but one sucks on the lemons from the tree one has planted.

Im not convinced bruhn was unfit to play.
It was the same AC issue hes carried ok for 12months so he could have played.
I think they chose to rest him off the 6 day break (to have him ripe for the 6 day next week) and it backfired.

While driving to the game, I heard Tanner talk on K-Rock. He basically said it was pretty clear he wasn't going to play early in the week.

Nonsense. No better option.

You are telling me mannagh or knevitt or another runner wouldnt have given us more than basically playing one down with rhys? Sorry i disagree.

Besides theres a broader point here-the club cant trumpet that it will rest and manage guys aggressively yet then play rhys while injured 'because no other option'. If youre going to apply that policy you do it consistently across the board or you dont do it at all. Its hypocritical (of the club not you).

IIRC, from AFL injury list, Bruhn was a test ???

Reading between the lines. CS almost said ..he could have played if it was a final..but they chose not to. Its not such a bad thing. It makes how important he is more obvious ..and whether the others are capable of stepping up. Id say in comparision, we saw what we lacked..and it showed that Mullins might have a new role.

On radio Bruhn confirmed the same issue last year kept him out for multiple weeks. He’s unlikely to play next week.

That confuses me bc he played 19 games last year and the weeks he didnt play afl he played vfl so he clearly was fit enough to play at some level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading between the lines. CS almost said ..he could have played if it was a final..but they chose not to. Its not such a bad thing. It makes how important he is more obvious ..and whether the others are capable of stepping up. Id say in comparision, we saw what we lacked..and it showed that Mullins might have a new role.
Without doing hours of research I'd say it's rare for a player to cut his hair and get better but agree and hope it's Mullin.

Soldo was contracted and it took Freo's future 2nd rounder plus other pick swaps to get him. He's an upgrade on the cooked version of Stanley but not a huge one and has an awful injury history. He's injured again.

We probably would've had to give all our Esava compensation plus some more and a 3 year deal for a guy we hope to be a 1 year stop gap until Conway comes good and then depth from there. It's a heck of a lot to pay for that.

Soldo has been very good until the injury this year though and will be very good in finals.

I also dont think anyone would be depth after 1 year as i think conway will 3-4 years off being a solid every week ruck.
So would i have traded a 2nd rounder and pick swaps for a ruck like that on a 3 year deal? Absolutely. Even if it wasnt soldo but a similar level ruck i definitely would have done it for because it was a clear upgrade that we needed and are paying for not having.

But i get that some people see it differently.

One of the most inexplicable decisions in the last decade is Goldy staying at NM when Geelong came hard at the end of 2019.
Geelong had just finished top of the ladder, lost a prelim, and had Selwood, Danger, Ablett and Hawkins on the list.
Offered Goldy 4 years, which would have been the 2020 and 2022 seasons. Could have had 1-2 premiership medals.
Instead, he took 3 years from NM for more money to remain a “one club player”.
NM proceeded to finish 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th before he left for Essendon in free agency and won’t finish as a one club player.
Absolutely insane sacrifice to avoid the 2hr drive down the highway.

On pure football reasons it was insane but i think he did it for his kids.

I think Cost of Living money just about was cooked when Syd recruited Buddy. They should have only used it for the lower paid on the list but the allegation was that they saved it all and added an extra player.

I think the different cities are probably seen differently to professional sportsmen. The advanatges of Syd to some AFL players.. is the same as the advanatges of Storm to some in the NRL. Out of the heat of the main hub. Its sort of one of the attractions of Geelong to those who wish to return to our tepid blend of city and town, blend of big and boutique clubs with big time games and small town home ground..

I like Syd to visit the city but when im up there , i quickly find the lack of Vic stuff an anoyance ..but guys like Grundy and Buddy and Locket.. one gets the sense that is huge selling point.
Bolded, you should try being a Geelong supporter in NSW!

Buddy, not so much! He lived quite close to my Mum + he was out for the attention from the start.

Lockett was just a really lovely, kind, gentle, teddy bear off the field. Mum + I went to all Swan's home games + she adored him. After every game he always gave her a cuddle + would laugh when she called him Slugger.

Like life, there were all types of personalities, good + bad.

We began when the Bloods came to Sydney, endured the Edelsten days.

We're talking of the days, if Swans lost, no oppo team song was played. Much to the annoyance of Members, for Geelong games, I had photocopies of our club song :hearteyecat:

Following the demise of NRL, AFL became very popular. It was so much fun to teach NRL fans AFL rules.

yep..we chose to run with the group we have. If all were fit then fine..but like many times in the past.. they all get injured at the same time. Considering Stanley is the age he is ..we could have added another ruck or one more likely to play than Furphy.. but one sucks on the lemons from the tree one has planted.
Or makes lemonade

Five days until we play Suns in Darwin, is it too early for a Preview thread, please?

Geelong has lost two games, still a great beginning to the season.

Could we leave our loss to Port + focus on our next game?

Five days until we play Suns in Darwin, is it too early for a Preview thread, please?

Geelong has lost two games, still a great beginning to the season.

Could we leave our loss to Port + focus on our next game?
Yeah this one is done nothing to be gained here raking over the coals.

We played Carlton two weeks ago. And, yes, he was dominated by Pittonet.
Ah, ya got me!

Tongue Out GIF by MOODMAN

You are telling me mannagh or knevitt or another runner wouldnt have given us more than basically playing one down with rhys? Sorry i disagree.

Besides theres a broader point here-the club cant trumpet that it will rest and manage guys aggressively yet then play rhys while injured 'because no other option'. If youre going to apply that policy you do it consistently across the board or you dont do it at all. Its hypocritical (of the club not you).
You’re making no sense. There was no better option to ruck. He can’t be managed if there’s no one to replace him.

I've just stolen that saying Kitty.
It's an oldie, but a goodie.
I do prefer Ron White's version: 'I believe when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. . .and try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back