Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if it would be worth trying to isolate Stengle up forward for periods of the game. His contested marking work has been pretty impressive at times this year and could be a hard match-up. His marking ability would worry smaller defenders, and his mobility would worry taller defenders.

Guess it's food for thought.

I wonder if it would be worth trying to isolate Stengle up forward for periods of the game. His contested marking work has been pretty impressive at times this year and could be a hard match-up. His marking ability would worry smaller defenders, and his mobility would worry taller defenders.

Can’t have Cameron roaming all over the ground either. He’s kicked one goal in two weeks and we’ve lost both games.

His mark under pressure last qtr was excellent
Been having a very good year so far.
Scott has confirmed Hawkins will be rested for the GC game which is in Darwin and being played in the evening which means it will be a slippery and not ideal circumstances for big men. Not sure if right game for Neale

Reminds me of a game where Melbourne played a twin small isolation forward line of Jeff Farmer and Sean Charles against us when they were rubbish and coached by Balme, fairly sure we won that game by a 100, but that was in the 90’s.

Still you are right, Stengle clunks marks a guy his size shouldn’t, and he’s been carrying us for large parts of this year upfront.

To me it looks like we actually are doing that a fair bit already. But there's only so much one man can do playing as both a key forward as well as a crumber. It'd be nice if he got a bit more support from the actual key forwards so that he can stick to doing what he does best.

Can’t have Cameron roaming all over the ground either. He’s kicked one goal in two weeks and we’ve lost both games.
This, dunno what the purpose of it is, but we’ve gone from him winning the game for us against the Blues to a luxury we simply cannot afford.

Who do you want them to select? Joe Furphy? Conway is injured.

Im not talking about match committee its on our list management of rucks which has been awful.

I still don't know why we didn't just bring a mature age ruck onto the list with a very late pick or rookie selection.

It would be almost impossible to ruck worse than Stanley and they'd be on minimum wage.
How quickly we forget the Jonathan Ceglar years

His mark under pressure last qtr was excellent
Been having a very good year so far.
Scott has confirmed Hawkins will be rested for the GC game which is in Darwin and being played in the evening which means it will be a slippery and not ideal circumstances for big men. Not sure if right game for Neale

Mannagh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Conway is injured we need to be looking at what are the other ruck options we can use. Clearly the team is better when Blicavs rucks but we can’t ruck him into the ground.
We have to look at Neale or a support option just try some things out because we can’t keep putting Stanley in there.

I also get the rotations and managing the list in resting and exposing players over the season. But we can’t be doing that to players who play the same position in the same game, it leaves us too vulnerable.
O’Connor and Parfitt out left us exposed and Bruhn and Bowes did the same.
Duncan is also a concern, his ineffective at the moment down back and being exposed for pace in other roles.

On the bright side the improvement in our younger players this year has been immense. Mullin completely changed the game when he came on and looks a heck of a player in the making.
I'm disappointed about the loss but that's easily balanced out by the performance of Oisin Mullin. Anyone watching the VFL this year will have seen the way he's coming on fast. A few of us have forecast his exciting potential on this forum. Last year he looked a little lost (understandably) and if he got the ball, he'd only really handball it to someone nearby. This year, every single part of his game is many levels advanced. And he's got a bunch of attributes that could make him a really great player for us. He's fast and has an impressive explosive burst. He's agile and dynamic in close quarters. His kicking skills seem to be looking sharp and he's bloody strong for his size. He's not built like many AFL footballers I've ever seen - and I reckon that makes him a unique prospect. So cool.

So bummer on the loss. But seeing the emergence of a player like that is what I'm going to take away. Fast becoming one of my favourites. And I can't wait to see how he continues to develop as the year goes on.

This. Jez had 18 possession last night - only four inside 50. Every coach in the league must be thrilled to see him mark on the wing instead of 20m from goal.

I’ve been at the last two games and he has spent the majority of CBs lining up on the wing.

Sorry for the intrusion but I think you need your list manager to work his magic and get Sean Darcy at seasons end. Failing that, happy to give you guys Pete Ladhams 😉

Two of Clark, Parfitt and Atkins need to make way or perhaps all three. Not managed, dropped.

Clark still isn’t ready, Parfitt goes missing (even if he fought back well) and Atkins is way off his best.

C Guthrie and Duncan need to be made aware that they also aren’t undroppable. I hope they can get back to near their best, but they’re both struggling atm.

Time for the MC to stop playing favourites.

No need to panic but our midfield depth is clearly our Achilles heel. With even a couple of our frontliner mids out we’ll struggle against good sides. The key to the year will be winning enough to snag top 4 whilst ensuring we have a full fit list in sept. Simples.

I understand the outcry but a starting mid with any of Conway, Blicavs, CGuthrie, Bruhn, Bowes, Danger is still very decent.

It would be great to have a Selwood or a TKelly in there, but it’s still good enough to compete.

CGuthrie only had 57% TOG last night, he’s building and looked good last night - 7 clearances.

I'm disappointed about the loss but that's easily balanced out by the performance of Oisin Mullin. Anyone watching the VFL this year will have seen the way he's coming on fast. A few of us have forecast his exciting potential on this forum. Last year he looked a little lost (understandably) and if he got the ball, he'd only really handball it to someone nearby. This year, every single part of his game is many levels advanced. And he's got a bunch of attributes that could make him a really great player for us. He's fast and has an impressive explosive burst. He's agile and dynamic in close quarters. His kicking skills seem to be looking sharp and he's bloody strong for his size. He's not built like many AFL footballers I've ever seen - and I reckon that makes him a unique prospect. So cool.

So bummer on the loss. But seeing the emergence of a player like that is what I'm going to take away. Fast becoming one of my favourites. And I can't wait to see how he continues to develop as the year goes on.

He did a great job on JHF (I know Blitz and a few others helped). Kept him to 11 disposals, 2 clearances and very little impact.

Hawkins looks done. I really hope he isn't. But I'm worried it's over.

At this rate he may need to retire before the season is out. Right now he looks like Tony lockett after he came back from retirement.

Two of Clark, Parfitt and Atkins need to make way or perhaps all three. Not managed, dropped.

Clark still isn’t ready, Parfitt goes missing (even if he fought back well) and Atkins is way off his best.

C Guthrie and Duncan need to be made aware that they also aren’t undroppable. I hope they can get back to near their best, but they’re both struggling atm.

Time for the MC to stop playing favourites.

It’s obvious Clark will be a star but he’s not up to AFL standard just yet. Hardie, Knevitt, even Clohesy would contribute much more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back