Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Pay more free kicks(historically the free kick count per game is way lower now then it was in the past they've about halved in 40 years)
I think it dropped for good reason, though. I actually don't mind the way the game is umpired now, to be honest - I think that paying more free kicks to encourage the game to go a certain way is the wrong way of going about it.

I'd lower the threshold for prior opportunity. Pay more free kicks(historically the free kick count per game is way lower now then it was in the past they've about halved in 40 years), clubs that overcommit too many players to the contest, will get cut over the top by teams that hold width, which would free up ball movement.

Players in todays footy can pass it to a team mate in a heart beat.. so Id be more strict on the tackle to protect the player going after the ball… but once fairly tackled ..the player must attempt get rid of it immediately and ultimately successfully and legally dispose of the ball. Failing to do that within the time frame that players show regularly they are capable of when they see a team mate available ..is holding the ball.The faux holding the ball and taking it to ground that most seem happy todo now is a pox on the game.

The other ting that needs a look is the Port checking of Stewart off the ball. 4 umpires and not one willing to pull it up? In the old days ..someone would end up with broken nose doing that. If the AFL do want the players to deal out their own level of justice then they need to pay attention. Checking when more than 5 metres from the ball is a free kick.

I'd lower the threshold for prior opportunity. Pay more free kicks(historically the free kick count per game is way lower now then it was in the past they've about halved in 40 years), clubs that overcommit too many players to the contest, will get cut over the top by teams that hold width, which would free up ball movement.
Disastrous. Creating a tackling game. Yuck.

Yeah but if you extrapolate out to 100% game time for each midfielder we are equal with them and all would average over 20 touches a game 😀
It's a nonsensical logic being used. That we deliberately restrict our mids to lower minutes and output as a strategy to win. It will not hold up when it matters.

We need guys getting more of the ball, and winning clearances at a stronger rate

Tommy still rested next week with Jez in concussion protocols?
Neale in and Ollie leading the front line?
Or go small in the slippery dip humid conditions?
Got Rohan as well. I think that is the way they will go despite some logic in leaving Neale out given conditions. If they don’t play Neale with both Keys out then I reckon it doesn’t help his confidence levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[/QUOTE]
Players in todays footy can pass it to a team mate in a heart beat.. so Id be more strict on the tackle to protect the player going after the ball… but once fairly tackled ..the player must attempt get rid of it immediately and ultimately successfully and legally dispose of the ball. Failing to do that within the time frame that players show regularly they are capable of when they see a team mate available ..is holding the ball.The faux holding the ball and taking it to ground that most seem happy todo now is a pox on the game.

The other ting that needs a look is the Port checking of Stewart off the ball. 4 umpires and not one willing to pull it up? In the old days ..someone would end up with broken nose doing that. If the AFL do want the players to deal out their own level of justice then they need to pay attention. Checking when more than 5 metres from the ball is a free kick.
Agree with your htb assessment. When a player with the ball has an arm free in a tackle and just tucks it in for a ball up it kills me!!

I watched large parts of the Suns v NM game from Darwin last night and feel much more relaxed about Hawk and Jez both missing. It was 31 deg and the ball was like a bar of soap. Ben King kicked 4 but only got involved once the Suns had a match winning lead.

We will basically need to treat it as a wet weather game despite the humidity - trying to get territory via any method. Hopefully the clean skills of Stengle, Close and Miers will be influential.

Yeah but if you extrapolate out to 100% game time for each midfielder we are equal with them and all would average over 20 touches a game 😀
It's time to recognize this as delusion. We need ball winners. We have not had a single player get 30 touches this entire season (manually went through the stats to discover this so there is a small chance I missed one). This is costing us games and we can't keep pretending we are the only team to use the interchange.

Our midfield is dire.

Last edited:
He couldnt have done much more against North and hasn’t played since. Whilst CS has said “there is no reason why we couldn’t play the 3 talls” he also said “that doesn’t mean it is the right thing to do” so as always I don’t know what CS actually thinks about the idea.

But with Rohan back in the forward line I can’t imagine playing Hawk, Jezza, Neale, Rohan and Henry all at once. Would have to sacrifice a MF/Wing to fit them all in. Jezza would need to play whole game as wing.

If Neale does play out of his skin maybe they rest Henry the following week to give him a couple of games to see? Maybe
Playing Neale is an opportunity to rest Hawkins + get some games into Neale.
Playing Conway is the chance to rest Stanley.
Does Conway have another string to his bow? Kicked a terrific goal in his last game.

I think that the second-quarter substitution was the final realisation of exactly that conclusion, to be honest. With Conway injured, it's hard to tell what the decision may have otherwise been.

What really stands out to me re: Stanley is that he has lost what used to really be his competitive advantage against other ruckmen - his ability to take up-the-line contested marks on the wing and half-back, and his ability to win clearances below his feet.

It is now, IMO, at the point where I would rather play Blicavs, concede the hitouts, and have an extra running player.

I think the sub was as much tactical as anything but that said his performance was awful and i dont think he would play again if conway was able to do the next 12 games straight. But he cant so im not sure what we do longer term albeit stanley wont play this week.

It's time to recognize this as delusion. We need ball winners. We have not had a single players get 30 touches this entire season (manually went through the stats to discover this so there is a small chance I missed one). This is costing us games and we can't keep pretending we are the only team to use the interchange.

Our midfield is dire.

Even with Danger, Bruhn and Bowes back, you won't get that. Those 30 plus are an anomaly in today's game.
Granted it's a thorny question but be a bit patient and positive.
It's the sum of the whole as reflected by our wins.

Tommy still rested next week with Jez in concussion protocols?
Neale in and Ollie leading the front line?
Or go small in the slippery dip humid conditions?

Yeah he needs a rest and they wont have him break the record in darwin.
Neale probably plays if fit otherwise we go smaller.

Mannagh should be a lock as hes good with groundballs and kicks goals.

It's time to recognize this as delusion. We need ball winners. We have not had a single players get 30 touches this entire season (manually went through the stats to discover this so there is a small chance I missed one). This is costing us games and we can't keep pretending we are the only team to use the interchange.

Our midfield is dire.
Hear hear!

This low ToG acceptance is nonsense. We should expect better

Even with Danger, Bruhn and Bowes back, you won't get that. Those 30 plus are an anomaly in today's game.

Its not a complete anomaly but it depends on your midfield.
For eg melb often have 30 + because they only ever play gawn trac viney and oliver there and dont rotate others in a lot.
Gc use rowell anderson touk and witts almost exclusively and they get a high %of the cbas which is why guys like davies dont get games and humphrey plays hf.

We could do that but we dont have the same quality in our best 4 mids (and danger and guthrie need managing) so we have to run a larger group of 8 or 9 rather than 4 or 5 A graders which is partly why the numbers are lower.
Whether thats tactically a bad call is another matter but its definitely a reason.

No, they're not an anomaly. Possession stats for top ball-getters have been rising decade by decade in the competition. Have a look at the top possession winners by average in the history of the game (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players.html#a0); with the exception of Diesel, and Bob Skilton (because only the last 100 games of his career are counted), they are all modern footballers. All of the top 10 are still playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back