Centrelink debt notices - Turnbull govt reaches new levels of arse clown-ness

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the concept of checking and chasing overpayments.

Agreed.

I have an issue at the timing. In December and by the time you try to resolve it the offices aren't open.

What about the issue that Centrelink phone lines/call centres don't work at the best of times?

I also have an issue with the automatic debt recovery system set up. Give people 3 months to sort it not 21 days.

It's not just the time allowed. With an error rate of 20%, their whole automated system is horribly stuffed.

Adding a 10% fee on top is shocking as well.

Scott Morrisson is the second worst treasurer we have ever had, behind John Howard.

Well, what a surprise. Seems that all this is just another campaigner act initiated by the ALP in govt, and ramped up their Lib successors
Labor’s leadership team of Bill Shorten and Tanya Plibersek pioneered the “robo-debt” data-matching system Centrelink is using to target current and former welfare recipients for apparently not declaring their income properly — but they now argue it should be suspended.

The automated system of matching income data from the tax office and income as reported to Centrelink to identify discrepancies was announced in a joint release by the then minister for human services, Ms Plibersek, and the then assistant treasurer, now Opposition Leader, in June 2011, adding an extra $71 million to the budget. The release said the “tax garnishee process had been carried out manually once a year for the past 15 years and involved a significant amount of time on the part of departmental officers”.

“The automation of this process will free up resources and result in more people being referred to the tax garnishee process, retrieving more outstanding debt on behalf of taxpayers,” Mr Shorten said at the time. The measure was forecast to “identify” 63,000 former customers over four years in addition to the 43,000 captured in 2009-10.The amount of debt recovered from welfare letters in 2010-11 was $1.8 billion, jumping to $2.2bn in 2013-14.

http://notmydebt.com.au/media-analy...-robo-debt-system-shorten-plibersek-pioneered

The Australian are, as usual, being dishonest with the presentation of the information there.
Yeah I found The Australian article a bit strange. If Labor implemented it in 2011, where were all the problems, why did people not complain, why isn't the LNP blaming Labor and the system more loudly?
Not sure it is the same program.
Anyway I have given up believing any politicians.

Yeah I found The Australian article a bit strange. If Labor implemented it in 2011, where were all the problems, why did people not complain, why isn't the LNP blaming Labor and the system more loudly?
Not sure it is the same program.
Anyway I have given up believing any politicians.
The process of automating government functions began years ago under Rudd. Probably earlier.

But there are different kinds of automation. There are dumb algorithms, which are basically simple pattern matches to replace monkey work, and then there is the other end of the spectrum, which is machine learning. The system implemented by Plibersek was most likely dumb algorithms, and it seems that it's been expanded to do more without upgrading the technology behind it.

The Australian are trying to craft a gotcha that because the ALP implemented an automated system five years ago, this is somehow reflected in the system currently in operation.

If an automation system of 2011 is still being used today, then that is diabolical.

Last edited:
Why aren't people being charged with fraud? If they have defrauded the Government then charge them(me)

They do, if it's intentional. If someone has 2 or 3 centrelink payments by stealing someone's identity or idenity fraud to claim more money than you are entitled to. They get the police and or the courts to lay charges.

However and I coud be wrong, but i get the impression this notification is about how much they report each fortnight and the government wants to re-claim any money over paid.

But i don't know, lat time i delt with centrelink, it was still called CES as in Commonwealth Employment Services for Austudy in high school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But I am getting a notice because of the earnings I reported , ie I either wrote down false information or I didn't. I attempted to defraud

If I didn't why am I getting a notice?

Because the algorithm they created to 'help' identify and flash out these over reports isn't working.

The process of automating government functions began years ago under Rudd. Probably earlier.

But there are different kinds of automation. There are dumb algorithms, which are basically simple pattern matches to replace monkey work, and then there is the other end of the spectrum, which is machine learning. The system implemented by Plibersek was most likely dumb algorithms, and it seems that it's been expanded to do more without upgrading the technology behind it.

The Australian are trying to craft a gotcha that because the ALP implemented an automated system five years ago, this is somehow reflected in the system currently in operation.

If an automation system of 2011 is still being used today, then that is diabolical.

That sounds about right.

Previously the system generated 20k letters per year. Now they are sending out 20k letters a week, a 50 x increase.

But I am getting a notice because of the earnings I reported , ie I either wrote down false information or I didn't. I attempted to defraud

If I didn't why am I getting a notice?

What about this guy? He wasn't even with Centrelink for part of the alleged time.

This Man Got A Centrelink Debt For A Time He Wasn't Even On Centrelink
Brett, from Sydney, was told by Centrelink on Thursday that he'd been overpaid and that he owed them $2360.06. They cited two periods in the past, one in 2013 and another from mid-2014 to mid-2015, when they claim he'd been working and therefore not entitled to benefits.

The problem is, though, the 2013 period was before he'd ever even applied for Centrelink payments. He wasn't actually getting benefits at that point, had never accepted Centrelink payments at that point, but Centrelink says he still owes them money for that period. Brett, who asked that his full name not be used, told The Huffington Post Australia that Centrelink have given him less than a month to pay back the $2360.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...he-wasnt-even-on-cent/?utm_hp_ref=au-homepage

What are they saying?

What do you have to do? Have they made an appointment for you to prove the claims wrong with Centrelink or are thery just going to expect you to pay it (even if it's wrong)

Whats the next step?
I have been sent a bill for $1200 + interest for the debt collectors. ( which went on before I had a chance to reply) I had 21 days to pay. Not 21 days to sort out, to pay.

I rang them and asked what was happening and when we worked out it was there mistake they told me to get the paperwork together and present it. When I explained the company had shut down and it might be difficult the CS person said it would make things difficult. ( I don't blast CS people)

I sent off a few emails and managed to catch someone 2 days ago. I now have the paperwork and will present it tomorrow. If they don't accept it I will instruct them to charge me with fraud.

I have been sent a bill for $1200 + interest for the debt collectors. ( which went on before I had a chance to reply) I had 21 days to pay. Not 21 days to sort out, to pay.

I rang them and asked what was happening and when we worked out it was there mistake they told me to get the paperwork together and present it. When I explained the company had shut down and it might be difficult the CS person said it would make things difficult. ( I don't blast CS people)

I sent off a few emails and managed to catch someone 2 days ago. I now have the paperwork and will present it tomorrow. If they don't accept it I will instruct them to charge me with fraud.

Arseholes

What would happen, if you didn't pay it?

I also think with all of the controversies over the past few weeks, they will shut the system down and investigatre all fines with zero consequences. And then you will report to someone to sort it out.

This is just a massive, nation wide try on by the govt against its poorest citizens.

I am struggling to remember anything this bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back