Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s fine, but if you are a good coach that standard has to be applied to every player on the list.

Can you honestly state that Polecs performances have been worse than the Hall, Atley, MacMillan and Pittard?

If Rhyce wants to preach standards then he needs to apply it to every player, not just a player he thinks is more talented.
What’s the point?? if we were dropping under preforming players, we’d be left with six kids.

The message isn’t just for brown and Polec here, it’s for the whole group... the kids will take note. They’re the ones who’ll take us forward.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What’s the point?? if we were dropping under preforming players, we’d be left with six kids.

The message isn’t just for brown and Polec here it’s for the whole group... the kids will take note.
Of course they are taking note. They have noted that you can play like a total spud and retain your spot in this side.

Give me the six kids anyday over watching the same totally useless campaigners waste another game that could have been used as a development opportunity.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
MacMillan has to go. Enough is enough, thanks Jamie, mediocre performances week after week. You might be a decent motivator off field but I dont give a flying rats toss bag.. he needs to fu**in go
Hahaha, this is brilliant

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Major cojones factor in this call. You kinda gotta marvel at it. We're not used to this. Took Scott ages to make this type of bold call. Still quite shocked.
Pagan would've done this in the blink of an eye. Only those within the four walls know the reason. I always thought Polec took a bit of licence and did his own thing, bit selfish in some regard. But geez Shaw's put a lot of pressure on himself and the group and we could quite easily lose this week against a desperate winless Crows team.

Obedient Spatula

Debutant
Jul 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we are freaking out over nothing. Blokes have to play multiple games over next few weeks and Polec has history with foot problems (strange that this wasnt the mentioned reason for his omission)
We have a new coach, GM and recruiting staff that all got here late. This is the first proper time they have access to the list to do something with it. We need top end picks and rid some of our dead wood

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Polec as a player is really odd.

Sometimes he skirts the pack when he really should go. Sometimes he goes in genuinely bloody hard, tackling and pushing to win a ground ball.

Sometimes he looks like a genuine contested ball player, other times he shirks contact and disposes of the ball far too quickly and inaccurately.

Sometimes his kicks under pressure are as elite as they get, sometimes his kicks under no pressure are god damn ******* awful.

This year I've seen some of his best and worst I'd wager. Some genuinely physical moments where he won his own ball and given it off cleanly and intelligently, but a lot of moments where his disposal has just been shithouse.

Throw in him clearly being challenged by the coaches and, probably most importantly, his feet that prevent him from training all the time coupled with 3 games in 8 days, and it's not really that baffling that this decision has been made. As for the noise coming from Shaw about him being omitted for various onfield reasons... well, they almost definitely are valid reasons and maybe shaw has decided that if his approach hasn't worked with Polec thus far he might change it up and put some public heat on him.

Not liking these comparisons to keeping jmac/hall/pittard etc in the team tbh. Firstly, Hall has improved drastically over the last 2-3 weeks to where he is probably more than breaking even, or at the very least to he's trending in that direction, respect where it's due. Secondly Jmac's and Pittard's downsides seem to come more down to natural limitations and brainfades, rather that clashes with coaching instructions and the like (plus other than aforementioned brainfade Pittards last game in his new role was actually pretty decent). Yeah there are arguments for dropping them from the team, but the list is just decimated. With the 3 games in 8 days we HAVE to make some unforced changes anyway, and i'd rather it be the potentially elite guys that get a rest than, well, the guys who are probably on the chopping block come the end of the year.

Meh. The year is ****ed anyway guys, why shouldn't the club use what games we have left to challenge the guys we're actually sticking with, after the offseason, to be better.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
I miss the days you’d come in here pretending to have info but never actually knew anything. Cute

:rolleyes:. i don't get some people these days, can't stick to the topic to have a mature discussion without the need to try make it personal, actually shows what an immature person you are. If you can't have a discussion don't bother posting a reply previously.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I miss the days you’d come in here pretending to have info but never actually knew anything. Cute

That's actually a pretty good call. Somebody with the scoop would be able to explain the reasons for these decisions. Perhaps Scooby's source has been given the bottle and glass.

He’s also one of our best users. Honestly staggered why people seem to prefer hard nuts who couldn’t hit the side of a barn over silky outside players. North Melbourne have been a ‘hardworking,’ ‘honest’ team for too long. What we need is outside class, and that’s exactly what we’ve gotten rid of this week in Polec. The ONLY justification the selection committee can have for this is that we’re resting him up for the Geelong game

Did you see Melbourne last night?

Highly rated and drafted players who don’t work with each other.

A team that’s committed and works together is stronger than skilled softies who don’t play with their team mates.

... But I also think the short break is at play. As well as underling injuries/ complaints: Polec foot, BB knee.

Shaw might be using the circumstances of needing rotations-and player attitudes to also make a few points...

We’re going to rest people. The people who rest are those who may not be working hard enough or committing to the same degree as others.

Most likely a whole combination of factors.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I trust Shaw in dropping Polec for the right reasons. He may be going ultra tough on him because he knows he can be better?

Brad would have never dropped anyone especially Brown. Would have played him to the ground and ruined him

its an example or its a rest against a lesser side. We are not a 17th club with a fit list. I know this, you know this and every other * knows this.. we are a list capable of competing for the top 4. If you dont believe that, you dont realise we have had the best inside midfielder in the comp sitting on the sidelines feeding hay from a wheelchair

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
:rolleyes:. i don't get some people these days, can't stick to the topic to have a mature discussion without the need to try make it personal, actually shows what an immature person you are. If you can't have a discussion don't bother posting a reply previously.

Tbh I have no idea what “If you can’t have a discussion don’t bother posting a reply previously” means?

Oh and as for being immature,

“If we get well beaten the club will be officially in disarray.”

You think that losing this week would mean the club is in disarray? That’s toys out the cot if I’ve ever seen it. So does that mean if the team beat the crows the club won’t be in disarray?

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
Tbh I have no idea what “If you can’t have a discussion don’t bother posting a reply previously” means?

Oh and as for being immature,

“If we get well beaten the club will be officially in disarray.”

You think that losing this week would mean the club is in disarray? That’s toys out the cot if I’ve ever seen it. So does that mean if the team beat the crows the club won’t be in disarray?

Maybe the word "disarray" is a little over the top but dropping 2 senior players and getting smashed tomorrow will put a s**t load of pressure back onto the club, considering what has been happening this season. Can you imagine, Caro and others will have a field day with vfl, aflw.... A win always helps but ultimately won't cover some issues the club is facing and will continue to face.

Anyway, lets hope we have a decent crack and enjoy our Saturday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back