Preview Changes for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cause they haven't been in another AFL system? It's far easier to teach someone who is a blank slate vs someone who has been doing it a certain way for eight years.

Mayes would probably be exactly like 2018 Polec at this point - he'll look fantastic because everyone else is doing their role, but he won't be playing team football. He needs to learn when it's time to push forward and when it's his turn to drop back and defend. I have full faith that he will.

How do you know how smart Sam Mayes is? I realise you think football is rocket science, but how do you know he's not a super nerd?

Its actually not rocket science, most footballers can even do it

How do you know how smart Sam Mayes is? I realise you think football is rocket science, but how do you know he's not a super nerd?

Its actually not rocket science, most footballers can even do it

It's not about being smart. It's about learning the gameplan. If you've spent eight years playing in one system, and you come into another system, it takes time to flush out the things you used to do with your old club and put in the things you are supposed to do with your new club. That's not rocket science, that's just common ******* sense.

Unless you've been recruited specifically because the way you play is exactly what your new team wants, and it's just more of the same, there is going to be a learning curve. When Mayes is doing what has been asked of him in the SANFL, he'll be up for selection. That's my point. When that will be is up to him.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's not about being smart. It's about learning the gameplan. If you've spent eight years playing in one system, and you come into another system, it takes time to flush out the things you used to do with your old club and put in the things you are supposed to do with your new club. That's not rocket science, that's just common ******* sense.

Unless you've been recruited specifically because the way you play is exactly what your new team wants, and it's just more of the same, there is going to be a learning curve. When Mayes is doing what has been asked of him in the SANFL, he'll be up for selection. That's my point. When that will be is up to him.

So no hope for Lycett and Burton?

So no hope for Lycett and Burton?

West Coast and Hawthorn play a system that translates well to Port Adelaide's style. No one is asking Lycett to do much in the way of defending as a ruck, and Burton has only been with Hawthorn for two years so it's a little different to a player that's been at Brisbane for 8 years.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Once upon a time I would be smacking my lips with an oppo player out but I just cannot remember when we
last capitalised on such a thing.

I'm always a fan of playing the best opposition anyway.
Gives no false flags in regards to form.

Yep, you dont win premierships if your relying on opposition players being out each week, regardless of which players you may be missing.

Yeah, definitely.
I see injuries for us as a chance to see the next gen or tier 2 in action, especially against a good opposition player.

Once upon a time I would be smacking my lips with an oppo player out but I just cannot remember when we
last capitalised on such a thing.

May's suspension probably just cancels out Dixon's injury anyway.

In all seriousness I would play Frampton in Dixon's role. He's mobile, leads hard at the incoming ball and he has the white line fever to go for the big mark, crash packs and contest the ground ball - hard. He's a decent kick for goal too.

Marshall would be much more effective being his wingman rather than trying to play that role.

May's suspension probably just cancels out Dixon's injury anyway.

May usually picks up Robbie Gray lately. And does a decent job on him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Frampton playing Dixon's role is a decent shout.

Helps protect Ryder from getting beaten up as a battering ram and Ryder is better on a lead than in a contest (he's not bad at contested marking by any stretch but I think his athleticism is his main advantage).

I don't think it will happen though.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In all seriousness I would play Frampton in Dixon's role. He's mobile, leads hard at the incoming ball and he has the white line fever to go for the big mark, crash packs and contest the ground ball - hard. He's a decent kick for goal too.

Marshall would be much more effective being his wingman rather than trying to play that role.
I would love to see it, but it's a bit late now IMO. They need to have at least trialled it in one of the JLTs. Let's hope he dazzles in training between now and round one!

I would love to see it, but it's a bit late now IMO. They need to have at least trialled it in one of the JLTs. Let's hope he dazzles in training between now and round one!

I acknowledge there is very little chance Frampton will be picked. Kind of reverse-Winx odds.

I've whacked together a quick synopsis of the past 2 years Port vs. Melbourne (don't be too judgemental, i've spent no time on the preparation besides scraping the data). I'll be looking to develop more schmick and permanent dashboards that refresh data at the end of every round moving forward. Likely some direct comparisons between teams, and where they exploit the weaknesses of others and so on. You can sort any column descending/ascending.

Eventually i'll have team graphics, correlation analysis, comparing teams, performances at home vs. away, pretty much whatever people want. This is just for the purposes of early R1 discussion.

The stats have a midfield flavour.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/matt.lane#!/vizhome/Portvs_MelbournePast2Years/Portvs_Melb

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

My choice would be Frampton in, and westhoff to the wing. Possibly watts stays In or goes out for a Mayes, broadbent or Howard.

Frampton showed a bit up forward v Essendon and westhoff is pretty much of all-aus standard when played up the ground.

But that is a lot of talls to have I guess.

Marshall doesn't play round one. He's in terrible form.

Champion data ranked Marshall as the best performing kf his age in the country

You want to take the only chance we have of developing a key forward and bundle him back to the sanfl until he performs to an elite standard every week?

Do you think that is what happened with jack Riewoldt, Daniher, and Kennedy?

I can tell you it is not how they became premier key forwards of the competition.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t think Marshall has been bad at all. The goals will come. But he’s making our forward line function better

It’s not so much he’s been bad, just very quite and with Dixon out he needs to start to do a bit more, leading more, commanding the ball a bit more and holding his marks. Being more influential on the game, I’d play him round 1 but unless he lifts his output shouldn’t hold his spot for long.

Probably needs to tidy up his feild kicking a bit as well.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FF RGray - Marshall - Butters
HF Ebert - Ryder - Westhoff
M Motlop - Boak - Duursma
HB Watts - Clurey - Burton
FB DBJ - Jonas - Houston
R Lycett - Rockliff - SPP

Int Rozee - Bonner - Frampton - Drew

Emg Howard - Sgray - Broadbent - Amon

Inj who would be in the 22 - Hartlett, Wines, Dixon, Lienert

Midfield has to break even. Forward line misses dixon big time has to many make shift forwards and back lines misses Howard, needs him to find form asap!
Not to confident in this line up at all

Back