Preview Changes for Round 2, 2023 vs Collingwood @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea but you wont get them all at once unless they try to expose us for height which seems counterproductive with the way they load smalls up there.
You would think cox, mihochek and mcstay at a minimum are there.. that leaves us one short..

Short defence which is a touch concerning with Cameron (204) Cox (211) and McStay (195)

Burton Can take Mihochek but that leaves Jonas and Aliir to cover the 3 names above .
McStay and Cox will share the ruck - which implies whoever is rucking for Port (Lycett or Dixon) should follow them. I can see Lycett taking most of the centre bounces and defensive stoppages, leaving Dixon for the forward stoppages.

Port may be short when Cox wonders forward. However, last week Brisbane played 3 200cm+ players, and Port covered them well.

Also McKenzie and Burton are listed at the same height. So I don’t mind Burgoyne for some extra pace. Collingwood love a manic fast break, so speed in defence will help with the Port’s high press.

I actually don’t think it’s a terrible team. Just concerned about a match up for Cox when he goes forward.

Well we have changed our structure slightly, and for once I’m looking at the opposition and thinking it’s actually a move that works and is a bit left field without being a 180cm guy coming in as our full forward. It is a 180cm guy in as our full back… but I can live with that

Jones can also play in defence, and take McStay or Mihocek. Leaving Jonas and Allir for the ruck type forwards. All they will be trying to do is take Allir from the play, and or bring the ball to ground.

I think having an extra runner against this mob will be ok. And if Jones/Burton lines up on McStay, using them to run the ball out of defence and setup play will be good for us.

Loved how Houston, Burton and DBJ provided so much run and carry last week, along with Bergman and Duursma.

It’s gonna be a fun game. Just hope we aren’t too defensive zoney like with no run.

The whole cobbled together bullshit of our backline in the hinkley era is ******* annoying. We never have a structure its just medium/tall goes out, smalls come in. Every ******* time.

Yeah not melting yet because I want to see Burgoyne in, but it is worrying that at the first opportunity Hinkley has continued his so-consistent-it-must-be-deliberate refusal to make like for like changes. By round 7 we will be back to the usual flanker soup.

Lol people called that McKenzie would go out and not be replaced by a tall.

This is why we just can’t trust Hinkley, last weeks win was off the back of talent, not Hinkley changing his ways.

He’s the same stubborn idiot, and if this group achieves anything it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

McKenzie Jonas and Alir is already a short backline, now if we go in without Trent we’re shorter, and rob our team of its best small / medium defender cause he might have to play tall

All the emergencys bring something different, lil bit intrigued

Teakle
Stretch their backline
Boak
How many teams have a 3 year top 5 BandF finisher as sub
Clurey
If we end up being too small
Bonner
Classic extra runner sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton slides into McKenzie's spot, Burgoyne moves into Burton's spot - no issues.

Tell Jase to follow Daicos everywhere and s**t in his cereal every time he goes near the ball the way that Burton did to Cameron on the weekend.

Differences between the last time we played Collingwood, when we lost by 6 points:

Port

OUT: Amon, McEntee, McKenzie, Gray, Finlayson

IN: Horne-Francis, Fantasia, Rioli, Lycett, Houston

By any metric, the ins are far stronger than the outs.

Collingwood

OUT: Howe, Lipinski, Johnson, Ginnivan, Carmichael/Bianco (one of these two could be the medi-sub)

IN: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell, Mihocek

Collingwood won centre clearances 15-12 last year, with Cameron winning 26 hitouts and Cox winning 20 hitouts against Finlayson's 13 and Dixon's 4. I reckon with the inclusion of Lycett and Horne-Francis we flip this or at the very least break even. Collingwood went at a scoring rate of 1.6 points per inside 50 vs Port's 1.58.

Last week, Collingwood went at 2.02 points per inside 50 and Port went at 1.94.

I reckon this will be a) a great game and b) a close game. I give us the edge purely because Howe is out and Frampton is a spud.

I think it also recognizes that Collingwoods smalls are a bigger threat than their talls.

Except the pies smalls are dangerous cause they play tall

Degoey, McInnes Jamie Elliott.

All those guys are dangerous forward, and for every single one of them burton is the best match up.

So if burton is playing on a tall now, which is assured, that means we’ve got Houston to cover one of those.

Guess who’s gonna have to do a job on one of those players this week?

Dbj

If the idea of Dbj standing Elliott or degoey doesn’t frighten you I don’t know what does

The whole cobbled together bullshit of our backline in the hinkley era is ******* annoying. We never have a structure its just medium/tall goes out, smalls come in. Every ******* time.
There is nothing hobbled about it. It is a deliberate choice to have a mobile backline over a tall one. It worked last week and as much as people hate it, it has workEd more often than it doesn’t. The thing is, when it fails it fails spectacularly.

If it worked against Daniher and Hipwood, why shouldn’t it work against Hackstay and Myolhack?

There is nothing hobbled about it. It is a deliberate choice to have a mobile backline over a tall one. It worked last week and as much as people hate it, it has workEd more often than it doesn’t. The thing is, when it fails it fails spectacularly.

If it worked against Daniher and Hipwood, why shouldn’t it work against Hackstay and Myolhack?

It hasn’t worked, we’ve just been overly dominant in the midfield when our defence hasn’t been smacked.

Anytime we’re not smashing a team in the midfield our defence looks in trouble.

we got the best of brisbane, which sans mcstay is now hipwood daniher and a cooked gunstan. But even then for that brief patch brisbane matched us our defence looked shaky.

The difference between All Australian Alir and just decent Alir is the pressure our midfield has their opponents under.

It hasn’t worked, we’ve just been overly dominant in the midfield when our defence hasn’t been smacked.

we got the best of brisbane, which sans mcstay is now hipwood daniher and a cooked gunstan. But even then for that brief patch brisbane matched us our defence looked shaky.

The difference between All Australian Alir and just decent Alir is the pressure our midfield has their opponents under.

I don’t disagree about the structure arguments but your point about Alir, pretty well applies to every KPD. Andrews is a quality defender who has beaten Dixon every time we’ve played them - this game was a reverse because of our midfield dominance.

Who could replace McKenzie? Clurey, Marshall, Pasini, McCallum.

Clurey is clearly out of favour and is 2-3cm taller than McKenzie. Is he any more able to stand and defend Cox? Or their powerful marking mediums like De Goey?

Marshall isn’t ready. Same with McCallum.

I haven’t written off Pasini and I’ll trust your judgement but I do have concerns. Do you debut him in such a game? Is he any more able to stand Cox or De Goey than Clurey? If he wasn’t ready when we had no Alir or Clurey and just a hobbled Jonas and McKenzie last year, will he be ready now after an ACL recon?

So what other option do we have?

Burgoyne is a solid defender who can do a job. He can go with their smalls.

Hey Philth welcome to the 2020’s no team relies on defenders to win one on ones.
It is all about the midfield winning the ball and defenders intercepting and providing run to assist.
Have a look tonight no Stewart to win the ball back and Geelong have let through 83 points to 3/4 time.
The selection of Burgoyne over Clurey shows we have joined the new wave

I don’t disagree about the structure arguments but your point about Alir, pretty well applies to every KPD. Andrews is a quality defender who has beaten Dixon every time we’ve played them - this game was a reverse because of our midfield dominance.

Who could replace McKenzie? Clurey, Marshall, Pasini, McCallum.

Clurey is clearly out of favour and is 2-3cm taller than McKenzie. Is he any more able to stand and defend Cox? Or their powerful marking mediums like De Goey?

Marshall isn’t ready. Same with McCallum.

I haven’t written off Pasini and I’ll trust your judgement but I do have concerns. Do you debut him in such a game? Is he any more able to stand Cox or De Goey than Clurey? If he wasn’t ready when we had no Alir or Clurey and just a hobbled Jonas and McKenzie last year, will he be ready now after an ACL recon?

I’m pretty sure Andrews has done well enough on Dixon when our midfields been on top in the past. .. he’s not the same player he was tho

Well besides the fact that we’ve abandoned structure , yet again, and the fact that there’s a history of it biting us on the ass ,

Yes I do think clurey or pasini can defend Cox / mcstay better than a small.

But forget about that, the real question,

Do you think you would rather have burton or Dbj defending degoey / Elliott / McInnes?

Because that’s the real sacrifice we’re making.

I’m pretty sure Andrews has done well enough on Dixon when our midfields been on top in the past. .. he’s not the same player he was tho
Sure he isn’t the same player. Was just using him as an example - if your midfield is on top, your defensive functions better. Last year he was right up there for one on one contests both sheer volume and also won. But we all thought he had a worse year because, by sheer number, he lost more one on ones. That’s on his midfield not him, part of the reason they got Dunkley.

But on to the structure issue. I don’t disagree, my point is do we have the cattle? Is playing debutant Pasini/Marshall/McCallum to maintain structure better than playing a proven quantity in Burgoyne? Or Clurey, who we elected to play an almost delisted McKenzie ahead of?

I’m sure you watched the same Mason Cox that I did, the one out marking Sav, De Koning and Stewart? Or Elliot and De Goey scoring goals regardless of who played on them?

I don’t disagree with your argument re the shuffling of Burton and DBJ onto sub optimal match ups, I just don’t think that Clurey or Pasini offer more. I wish Pasini was ready, I know you rate him highly, or that we had landed Sav or another defender so we didn’t find ourselves in this messy spot.

Yes.

A million times yes.

Also, burgs is only “proven” cause we picked him… something we should try with a tall.
I think you need the talls to pick. There have been times when Hinkley hasn’t picked a tall and we have had options but it’s fewer than we think. Part of port’s issues have been a lack of quality talls. Hinkley hasn’t been afraid to play them when they have talent - Howard, Marshall and Mitch are testament to that.

If we trust the club, their current thoughts are McKenzie > Clurey > Pasini/others. That’s damming on Clurey. Pas is coming back from an ACL - it wouldn’t be good for him or the team for him to play this week. Let him ease into it and no reason he can’t take McKenzie’s spot later in the year.

Right now we have Jonas taking McStay, Cameron or Cox. If all are in forward fifty then Lycett will be there too but can’t see them having every tall forward on at once. Alir takes Mihocek. Burton Elliot or De Goey and DBJ the other. Do you honestly think Pas could take either Elliot or De Goey? Both are faster, more explosive, more skilled, more experienced. But if he did, that means DBJ plays on a small forward like Hill, is there a big difference between DBJ and Burgoyne playing on a small forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back