Preview Changes for Round 2, 2023 vs Collingwood @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need the talls to pick. There have been times when Hinkley hasn’t picked a tall and we have had options but it’s fewer than we think. Part of port’s issues have been a lack of quality talls. Hinkley hasn’t been afraid to play them when they have talent - Howard, Marshall and Mitch are testament to that.

If we trust the club, their current thoughts are McKenzie > Clurey > Pasini/others. That’s damming on Clurey. Pas is coming back from an ACL - it wouldn’t be good for him or the team for him to play this week. Let him ease into it and no reason he can’t take McKenzie’s spot later in the year.

Right now we have Jonas taking McStay, Cameron or Cox. If all are in forward fifty then Lycett will be there too but can’t see them having every tall forward on at once. Alir takes Mihocek. Burton Elliot or De Goey and DBJ the other. Do you honestly think Pas could take either Elliot or De Goey? Both are faster, more explosive, more skilled, more experienced. But if he did, that means DBJ plays on a small forward like Hill, is there a big difference between DBJ and Burgoyne playing on a small forward?

1. No quality talls? You’re basing that entire opinion on Hinkley not picking them, which is like asking a blind person to pick your tie.

2. Youre completely missing a tall in your allotment of defenders there.

You mention Jonas to mcstay or one of Cox / Cameron , and Alir to mihocek…

So who is taking one of mcstay or Cox that Jonas isn’t taking? You skipped that.

3. Why wouldn’t it be good for pasini to play coming back from an acl? He’s playing sanfl? So assuming he’s reasonably fit. There’s no reason to suspect he can’t run out a game well enough, especially for a kpp. Acl rehab is different now.. didn’t we bring Farrell back in asap after his acl?

4. Pasini is a quick defender. I’m not sure where you get the idea he’s too slow to play on degoey.

As I said before, assuming Cameron is in the ruck, pies can have all of Cox, mcstay, mihocek forward, that means burton will have to play on a tall with Jonas and Alir.

Burton is no longer free to take a medium / small like elliott , McInnes or degoey.

there’s all sorts of ways we could get hurt,

Alir has to close check a tall so can’t intercept as much = bad news for us

Burton gets caught out on mismatches like Cox / Cameron too often

Guys like Elliot get hurt us with our best cover for them unavailable

Looking forward to see who will be accountable, NDaicos or JRioli
Let them match up! 🙏🏽
I’m sure Basset will have a plan as the defensive coach. Our defence will hold, it’s more important to know if our forwards will stand up

Love seeing Jace out there. Hope we get a look at Pasini soon.

Also glad to see they aren't rushing Boak back. Will be good to see this "life after Boak" midfield against some real pressure.

The rest of the side deserves their spots after last week, though Fantasia needs to get on the scoreboard and influence the game this week. Pressure's on.

We're picking to exploit their weaknesses and have a go at winning the bloody game rather than just trying to nullify them.

What are we gonna do about Cox? What's Cox gonna do lumbering after our rebounders as we carve up the midfield?

It might not work, sure. Collingwood are a very good side. But let's have some ******* balls.

We're picking to exploit their weaknesses and have a go at winning the bloody game rather than just trying to nullify them.

What are we gonna do about Cox? What's Cox gonna do lumbering after our rebounders as we carve up the midfield?

It might not work, sure. Collingwood are a very good side. But let's have some ******* balls.

In no way are we picking to exploit weaknesses

We’ve got a decade of data to show that’s not what Hinkley does

What he does is abandon structure anytime one of his preferred talls go out

We’ve seen it time and again

No one asks when we’re debuting burgs , jones , duursma etc if we can afford to blood them. They just get picked.

I also disagree that adding burgs over pasini / clurey adds substantial more rebound

We’re committing one of our best rebounders to playing deep on a tall.

I’m not sure the supposed advantage outweighs the negatives

Clurey is a mug and Pasini is 2 practice games back from an ACL. He also has 0 AFL experience.

Bringing in a high quality player like Burgoyne under the circumstances makes sense.
It would if we weren't sacrificing Burton to do so.

Though Burton does play well tall when tasked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last chance for Georgiades I feel. If he doesn't play like an AFL player this week then next week he'll be swapped out for Finlayson.
He's just not nailing his set shots, statistically his 22' (32.17 in 21 games) was as good as his 23' year (23.24 in 19 games) all except for conversion.

Wish we could get back Schulz to coach him.

You could also argue Collingwood are in the same position, if not worse off than us in defence. They have named Frampton and Moore as their only 2 tall defenders to play on Marshall, Dixon and MG.

Last chance for Georgiades I feel. If he doesn't play like an AFL player this week then next week he'll be swapped out for Finlayson.
He still had 4-5 shots on goal last week, led very well and leapt at balls (albeit with poor timing). On one occasion this created a spill for Rioli’s third. I liked everything about his performance except the terrible goal kicking. Reckon that will click eventually if he can maintain his confidence.

I'm actually good with these selections. Finlayson for Georgiades would have been the only other switch I'd like to see but JF clearly needs some match practice before coming into the side and Mitch needs to be given some time to get his confidence back.

It would if we weren't sacrificing Burton to do so.

Though Burton does play well tall when tasked.
he can but he looked so good on the smaller player last week

id be playing him on elliot

my concern is the matchup on mihochek, thats where i feel we are one short..hes a damn good and smart player. Id be playing allir on cox and get him to exploit his total lack of ability and play off him.

I’m more concerned by Pendlebury than Daicos.

Pendles played a lot more forward half last week and is a freakish, experienced, decision-maker and delivery-man. Keeping the ball out of his hands should be priority 1.

Maybe like a Burton when he’s forward, SPP or Jones in his grill when he’s back. Think of it more like cutting the supply rather than matching up to negate specific forwards.

Daicos can have 30 touches and we’d probably survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back