Unofficial Preview Changes for week one of Finals (Out: Madgen, Murphy, Ox : In: Treloar, Howe, Goldsack)

Remove this Banner Ad

And then what? We fought hard for finals with a 2nd chance, let's use it.
That one week extra won't hurt their recovery or match fitness.
What it will give them , is match time that they would have otherwise lacked.
More training won't make them finals ready; playing finals will
If we have to risk losing the first one a bit more to give us a better chance to win the second one, so be it.
I don't give us much chance without Treloar and Goldsack either.

This is how I read it also.
We are using the double chance that we earned. Yes, we are 'rolling the dice' but in a strategic way.
We name the 3 guys this week as:
- at/near their best, they make our side better
- if we lose this week, then they have a big game under their belt to come back to the MCG next week primed to go
- if we don't play then this week, then they wait another 1 week (maybe 2 if we win) before playing a game and then its even harder to bring them in.
Right decision, lets get the win!

This is how I read it also.
We are using the double chance that we earned. Yes, we are 'rolling the dice' but in a strategic way.
We name the 3 guys this week as:
- at/near their best, they make our side better
- if we lose this week, then they have a big game under their belt to come back to the MCG next week primed to go
- if we don't play then this week, then they wait another 1 week (maybe 2 if we win) before playing a game and then its even harder to bring them in.
Right decision, lets get the win!

Agreed, if we were going to roll the dice it is this week, not next. A win this week gives us a week off, and a chance for some of those injured players to rest up, and also potentially have Reid and Moore available for the prelim depending on opponent.

No time to be conservative now. Need to pick the best side. Clearly Howe and Goldsack are ahead of Magden and Oxley. So the right move was made

Only question is whether we needed an extra tall. I probably would have played Magden as well for extra coverage, ahead of maybe Aish. But we always have the option of sending Mihocek back if need be.

I just can’t see any scenario where WC get enough entries from their mids to kick a winning score. It won’t happen.

... until the Gameday thread opens, when suddenly our pathetic midfield have no chance of preventing a winning score and we're going out in straight sets. Delist everyone.

I'm trying to establish why people think any of the three ins are a risk.

Howe is obvious
Treloar was an 8-10 weeker back in Round 14. In terms of timelines this would be 'Round 25' so if anything he's a week later than the prognosis. I don't see this as "rolling the dice" but a sound decision.
Goldsack would've been playing VFL four weeks ago had it not been for a jammy back and now has two VFL games under his belt to bring up his match fitness. He won't be an issue.

West Coast are a good side but we shouldn’t be too intimidated. In the last 3 months they’ve lost to Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide, North & Melbourne. In the sameness time they’ve had narrow wins against St Kilda, Giants and Port. They weren’t that convincing away against the Lions either. Their best win was probably against us and it would be fair to say we will be better this time. We’ve got this.
This line up is very different. Context is important.

What's everyone's drink of choice for tomorrow night's game?

I'm getting shitfaced on a case of 6 Burge Shiraz 2009 re..

I'm flying to Perth Business Class so whatever I can get my hands on. And then likely shitty tap beer at the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting more confident as the game gets closer.
For all the worry we've had about their tall forwards, the forward line they named is not that tall or that experienced. Their so-called "best 6" playing this week haven't even all played together before.
On the other hand, our forward 6 are like a well drilled swat team. I think our midfield can get on top and it'll be our forwards that will get off the chain. Go pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back