Unofficial Preview Changes for week one of Finals (Out: Madgen, Murphy, Ox : In: Treloar, Howe, Goldsack)

Remove this Banner Ad

Got me absolutely beat why anyone would think 3 blokes that haven't played AFL in 8 weeks, 14 weeks and 5 months would be considered a risk. I just keep drawing a blank!

Its got me beat why anyone would think they'd be more of a risk than an 18 year old 2nd gamer, an ex basketballer 4th gamer, or a journeyman rookie listed player who has played 3 games this season.

Agreed, if we were going to roll the dice it is this week, not next. A win this week gives us a week off, and a chance for some of those injured players to rest up, and also potentially have Reid and Moore available for the prelim depending on opponent.

No time to be conservative now. Need to pick the best side. Clearly Howe and Goldsack are ahead of Magden and Oxley. So the right move was made

Only question is whether we needed an extra tall. I probably would have played Magden as well for extra coverage, ahead of maybe Aish. But we always have the option of sending Mihocek back if need be.

I was thinking the same. Madgen is an emergency so might be a late in perhaps. We look really small in defence again. But they're the selections i'd have made.

Eagles look a bit tall if anything given the size of the ground. We'll have the edge at ground level by the looks and that will be important protecting our back six.

That assessment is pretty accurate, our second half of the season definitely left a bit to be desired. But at the same time, similar things could be said of the Pies - you don't exactly have a great record against the better (top 8) sides this year - in fact it may be the worst of the finalists.

This is used regularly by opp supporters to make our wins look worse than what they are and I'm not having a go at you personally but I'll include anyone that mentions this.

No one who has stated this has looked at the form ladder at the time we had those wins, we had good wins against form teams like Ess, Melb and North for example off the top of my head - all of those teams were in good form at the time we beat em.

Now I'm not suggesting that makes us world beaters but by the same token those wins should not be taken as beating lowly opposition which everyone loves to make out that that is the case.

What's everyone's drink of choice for tomorrow night's game?

I'm getting shitfaced on a case of 6 Burge Shiraz 2009 re..

Hey Gimp,

I'm going original Vic Park style, VB cans married up with a pack of Winnies! Can't go wrong re!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting more confident as the game gets closer.
For all the worry we've had about their tall forwards, the forward line they named is not that tall or that experienced. Their so-called "best 6" playing this week haven't even all played together before.
On the other hand, our forward 6 are like a well drilled swat team. I think our midfield can get on top and it'll be our forwards that will get off the chain. Go pies!
Normally I'm conservative or even critical with team selection before a big game, but I really think we have a great chance tomorrow. We have 3 key players that didn't play last time...they have no Gaff. AT seems raring to go and he is a great fresh player, rather than midway through a season when he gets a little jaded. Goldy will die for the pies and while I was skeptical after the VFL game I have grown to like the move. We play pretty well away from home when we give ourselves a chance and it would be great to go into the Prelim facing teams that are playing 3 weeks after a break. Go Pies...I'm so excited. I only hope that the Umps have no bias or over involvement in a close game

Normally I'm conservative or even critical with team selection before a big game, but I really think we have a great chance tomorrow. We have 3 key players that didn't play last time...they have no Gaff. AT seems raring to go and he is a great fresh player, rather than midway through a season when he gets a little jaded. Goldy will die for the pies and while I was skeptical after the VFL game I have grown to like the move. We play pretty well away from home when we give ourselves a chance and it would be great to go into the Prelim facing teams that are playing 3 weeks after a break. Go Pies...I'm so excited. I only hope that the Umps have no bias or over involvement in a close game
Unbiased umps? Over there??? Impossible the natives are feral.

I hate to say it, and was reluctant to drink it because of it's awful name, but the Hawthorn Pale Ale is a great beer.
It’s pretty good. The Hawthorn Amber takes like mouldy cheese though. Avoid at all costs.

Four changes for each side since our round 17 matchup.

Pies In:
Aish, Cox, Goldsack and Treloar
Pies Out:
Crocker, Daicos, Moore and Scharenberg
WCE In:
Barrass, Ryan, Sheed and Vardy
WCE Out:
Gaff, Naitanui, Schofield and Waterman

I’d almost count Hoskin-Elliott as an in too, wasn’t that the game where he could barely get out of a jog?

Although that’s negated by Naitanui missing half of that game.

I've been thinking about possible match ups and playbooks and the thing that sticks out is COX ;)

No really . .

Cox will draw their best defender and at least another defender EVERY forward entry, this provides tremendous opportunities for the swoop squad and midfielders running into the forward line with the flow of play. There won't be McGov or Hurn sweeping through and launching counter attacks at will this time.

Treloar as well will alter the mix heavily - especially with Gaff being out. I can easily see our midfield getting right on top, injuries and keeping a cool head will be the keys.

Down back bet everything I own on it, you won't see Miocheck down for a very long time if he continues to present and kick goals.

Just go back and watch that Sydney game everything changed when he had to go back.
Yep he is a forward now and there is no turning back the clock. He may not have the physical presence of Jonathan Brown but he gets the ball often enough and in the right position to kick more goals than you'd expect from him. Stays in attack if my opinion means anything. He won me over a long time ago with his cool and clever approach to the game. He will not play in defence unless the worst happens and circumstance requires a short term overhaul of team structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back