Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 12 vs. West Coast, OS Sat 03/06, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boys will be sore this week. North have got some big boys and they went in hard.

I would like to see Carmichael get his chance against the Eagles.

Agree with the principle but, hope he's not too dogmatic about it and IF we're games clear in Rounds 23/24 we consider giving some of the older guys an extra breather.

Just seems smarter to be flexible and make situational decisions, rather than adhering to a pre-determined philosophy.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Trust in Fly.

Collectively we were the better side and rightly won the game. But an opposition key forward taking eight marks and kicking 5.2 while our best defender was minding someone far less dangerous pretty clearly suggests that we got the match up wrong.

Why so defensive about acknowledging it? I’m not saying they’re bad coaches. They’re fantastic coaches! But even the best make mistakes from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Larkey kicked 3 of his 5 goals and had 1/2 those marks in the last quarter. The issue wasn’t that Moore wasn’t on him, it was that they pantsed us around the stoppages in the 4th and gave him better supply. I think they had 1 goal from stoppages till 3QT, kicked 4 in the last. So there’s nothing to acknowledge. You think it was an issue, I think it wasn’t. I think we gained more from Moore having greater freedom, you think we didn’t. Wouldn’t have mattered who was on Larkey, you give him that sort of supply and he’ll kick goals. It’s not a fluke that he’s in the leagues top goal kickers this year despite his side only winning 2 games.

Its laughable that people think we should be resting players before the bye. You dont flirt with form if theyre good to go play them.
Imagine we rest a few players this week and we lose?
Not going to happen.
I think you field your best team when you can. Especially if you want to beat lower ranked teams or top 8 teams just the same. Only adjustment I think could possibly work is rotating some players under the “tactical sub” banner in coming games.

Out: Sidebottom (knee)
In: Bianco

Out: Pendles (manage… it’s a long flight and a hard ground)
In: McCrae

Out: Moore (manage)
In: Ruscoe or Frampton (if fit).

Carmichael travels as the emergency.

I expect a close contest. Eagles always lift for us. We will rest a few. And, being only human, we will be looking forward to the big clash against the Demons.
Pies will get up by 24-30 pts.

No changes other than Steelo out and either Macrae in or Carmichael.
Markov has been good.

from my Delorean

I expect a close contest. Eagles always lift for us. We will rest a few. And, being only human, we will be looking forward to the big clash against the Demons.
Let’s not rest Moore and Pendles and just win by ten goals.

Watch flys presser. We aren’t resting anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you field your best team when you can. Especially if you want to beat lower ranked teams or top 8 teams just the same. Only adjustment I think could possibly work is rotating some players under the “tactical sub” banner in coming games.

Correct.
We can also rest them on the interchange bench.
Give the okder guys a bit more time on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only forced change should be Carmichael coming in for Sidebottom.

Perhaps one or two of the o

Carmichael’s not getting much love in change suggestions. He has been consistently good, and hitting the scoreboard, in VFL for past 4-5 weeks.

I take it you didn’t catch todays game?

Sidebottom will get covered by some combination of WHE, Crisp and Hill. Odds on the former. It's a shame Lipinski isn't fit. I doubt we'll see a like for like replacement. It'll be someone like Reef covering WHE'S minutes forward.

I'd take what Fly said with a grain of salt.

While I'm not expecting many changes as Sidebottom will already be unavailable, no way Fly would give the opposition any extra ammunition by forecasting we'll be resting players. If he did that he's essentially saying we don't rate you and we can beat you without them.

Still, before the season is out I wouldn't be surprised if a player or two misses a week due to "illness" or "tight calf".

There are ways to rest players more discreetly than just telling the media they're being managed.

Sidebottom will get covered by some combination of WHE, Crisp and Hill. Odds on the former. It's a shame Lipinski isn't fit. I doubt we'll see a like for like replacement. It'll be someone like Reef covering WHE'S minutes forward.
Lipinski may only be one game away. Chance to return against Melbourne, would be great cover for Sidey.

I was not worried about our fade out in the final quarter against Nth. I think we have a strategy to conserve energy. We don't go hell for leather in the last quarter unless it is necessary. It happens during games as well. We play ballistically for a few minutes, then change gear and go slow for a minute or two, until we amass energy for the next onslaught. Without wishing to take away from Larkey, I think his final quarter goals were made easier to get by our energy conserving mode.
I don't think we will be "resting" players in the traditional sense. I think that we are doing it in yet another innovative way. Energy conserving tactics during games, and rotating players through the tactical sub rule (like WHE today). The tactical sub rule effectively creates a squad of 23, since the sub can come on at any moment, he can be regarded as an equal member of the entire squad. Therefore, managing players will be achieved through rotating them as tactical subs.
Replacement for Sidey is difficult to decide. I love the idea of Finn McCrae being rewarded for his consistently very good form in the VFL. Crisp could play on the wing instead. WHE in starting 22.
Elliott as the (rotational) sub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back