Preview Changes V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

100%.

We have a bunch of players out of contract at the end of the year - Gollant, Hamill, Sholl, Cook, Parnell, Berry, Borlase, McHenry.

It does nobody any good to yo - yo these players. Either pickem for a bunch of games and make a decision or dont play em and cut em.
Sholl, Parnell, Borlase, McHenry i hope will be shown the door.

Do 'running patterns' and/or 'non-statistical roles' result in this 'shape' that Ned keeps?

Remember when we had Matty Wright playing that role, non statistical role, then we delisted him and gave that role to a guy who did those things and kicked goals and we were tons better?

At least Matty Wright has nothing to do with our forward...oh wait

Honestly sick of the hate towards Ned.

You don't build a team around him, but if you're pushing for finals, or higher. You keep them, because he is the type of player which will take you further.

McHenry will only take us further into the toilet mate, can't believe you wrote this with a straight face 😂

Remember when we had Matty Wright playing that role, non statistical role, then we delisted him and gave that role to a guy who did those things and kicked goals and we were tons better?

At least Matty Wright has nothing to do with our forward...oh wait
Not only that we dropped him a couple of weeks after Noble came out with that bullshit to defend his selection

Honestly sick of the hate towards Ned.

He has 2 roles which he plays where he's great.

Sub - He's a high energy individual, which is amazing coming off the bench. As others are fatiguing, he can come on and run everyone off their legs. We saw it vs Collingwood last year where he had 16 touches in a half. And we saw it vs St Kilda where he had 13 touches and a goal in a quarter.

What we got from Berry on the weekend was no different then what we've seen from McHenry as the sub. Infact, McHenry has been more consistent than Soligo/Berry/Pedlar who have all played as the sub in past seasons. Those 3 are confidence players (Along with others like O'Brien/Gollant/Fogarty/Thilthorpe), while McHenry is a terrier. Give those 3 confidence with the start, back them in, and if and only if they can't get into the game (Which we've seen here and there) you then bring in McHenry. You know what you'll get when you input that energy in the 3rd or 4th quarter. And it's an asset.

But, if we are to play him from the start, the only role that works for him is a FP who doesn't go beyond 75m out from goal. There is no other player in our team since Tom Lynch left who I trust more with ball in hand 60-75m out for that final i50 kick. He doesn't blaze away to the top of the square. He lowers his eyes and hits up a good lead to 40m out.

McHenry in one way is a massive bust. For a first round pick to be relegated to role player? Embarrassing, this is what you expect from a 3rd round or rookie pick. However, he has those 2 above roles (impact sub/final i50 kick) which play to his strengths and make the team better, and could very well be the cream on top which takes a team from a challenger to a premiership winning team.

You don't build a team around him, but if you're pushing for finals, or higher. You keep them, because he is the type of player which will take you further.

Having said that, shoehorning him into the Murphy role rn is a disaster. Maybe Nicks can just eradicate that role cause whoever plays it is destined for a near statless game with no opportunity to work into the game and actually do anything offensively.

Now I've heard everything.

Mchenry is the type of player you want to keep if you are pushing for finals or higher.

He is the furthest from a finals type player you could ask for.

Slightly built, knocked off the ball easy, and crumbles under pressure.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very astute.

The same happened with Ugle-Hagan.

Selected at Pick One in the 2020 draft but not selected until Round 16 in 2021 and only 5 games in his first season. Naturally he demanded a trade to Collingwood at the end of the season and the rest is history.

Similar story with Sam Darcy who was drafted at Pick Two in 2021 and played 7 games in his first two seasons before demanding a trade to Carlton.

Or perhaps players 195 cm plus tend to take a bit longer to be AFL ready?

I would like to see Curtin given a game sooner rather than later but I have also said he doesn’t look AFL ready. I have seen him play in the flesh on two occasions and his other AFC games on the tellie. Have you ever been closer than 2,000 km to Curtin?

We will be taking it slow with him given how we cooked up McAsey.

McHenry will only take us further into the toilet mate, can't believe you wrote this with a straight face 😂

He is nothing more than a player a semi mediocre below par finals side would have as a break glass in an emergency type depth player. So in a way he is correct. Keeping McHenry will take us further than a putrid pile of crap, all the way to a semi mediocre below par finals side.

Considering we know what we get from Sholl on the wing, wonder if Smith doesnt get up itd be worth trying him as a distributor across half back like Nic Martin, Whitfield, Sheezel. Cant say I’ve watched them closely but stats suggests high uncontested possessions, high percentage of disposals are kicks. Metres gained suggests 20-30m kicks. Wonder if thatd better suit his wheel house.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering we know what we get from Sholl on the wing, wonder if Smith doesnt get up itd be worth trying him as a distributor across half back like Nic Martin, Whitfield, Sheezel. Cant say I’ve watched them closely but stats suggests high uncontested possessions, high percentage of disposals are kicks. Metres gained suggests 20-30m kicks. Wonder if thatd better suit his wheel house.

My doubt about this proposal is that, to me, Sholl's biggest weakness is his extremely conservative disposal. It's rarely creative & damaging, just racks it up and moves it 40M forward down the wing to a contest.

Backline distributors need that courage to take the tough kicks slicing through the guts, or picking a tough 45 degree angle to open up the field.

Not sure why we didn't pick Burgess as a backman, we know Borlase isn't up to it.
Borlase has been decent enough I thought.
No problem with him as a depth KPD. Don't think he is much behind Butts

I'd rather we picked a more mobile defence and backed Worrell to pinch hit as KPD 2 but Borlase isn't the worst going around

Last edited:
Probably because he is a forward.

“Firstly, to get Chris to the Club, he is an athletic key position player who has the versatility to play forward or back which we know is important in today’s game.

This season has been the worst of nicks career in terms of selection. Clear stand outs to be dropped and nothing. One of those has looked like an afl played for maybe half a season in his entire career.

Recycling the same players like Sholl when it's clear they shouldn't be part of the future (granted he's been a lot better than McHenry and Smith this year).

Do you think it has been his worst or do you think its the same bewildering selections he's always done?

We were all hoping he was going to stop making the same rookie mistakes and we have players begging to play (and to be dropped).

His selections have always been deplorable I just think our expectations have risen in the last few years but Nicks competence hasn't risen accordingly.

“Firstly, to get Chris to the Club, he is an athletic key position player who has the versatility to play forward or back which we know is important in today’s game.

He won the Jim Frosty Miller medal in 2022 and 2023 and has played 4 games for us as a forward.

He aint a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back