Preview Changes v Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Sutcliffe kicked 2 goals but it was another pretty invisible game from him. Surely now he is playing a small forward type role either Butters or Motlop could do it better. He uses the ball pretty well but just doesn't get near it enough.

Been a Sam Gray defender when everyone has called for his head weekly on here but it's been a pretty noticeable drop off the last month from him and he is one player that needs to be at the top of his game or he is out, a half baked Sam Gray is not as good as a half baked Motlop or Butters.

I'd probably be prepared to take out both Gray and Sutcliffe for Butters and Motlop. But i reckon it will only one.

What they do with the ruck department is going to be very interesting, i'm not sure they can actually drop Ladhams after that performance, he was terrific. If they did he would be extremely unlucky.

The only issue is Ryder actually hasn't been too bad the last couple weeks either and the combination seems to be working pretty well, but surely Lycett being Nic Nat's understudy for years has the ability to share the duties and swing forward and have just as much of an impact as Ryder. That is our future combination.

Whoever misses out will be stiff but i think leaving Ryder out has the strongest case.

If we make the finals this is the team I'd be running with (assumes Watts and Ebert aren't playing this year).

Hartlett Clurey Westhoff
Burton Jonas DBJ
Amon Wines Duursma
Houston Dixon Rozee
Motlop Marshall Ryder

Foll:
Lycett
Boak
R Gray

Int
Powell Pepper
Rockliff
Broadbent
Sam Gray

Injuries or Form Replacements
Ruck: Ladhams
Tall Back: Dougal
Tall Foward: Frampton
Small Back: Bonner, Garner
Small Forward: Butters, Farrell
Midfield: Drew, Atley,
Jack of All Trades Master of None: Sutcliffe

Most contentious would be the inclusion of Motlop and Sam Gray, but this team feels to me that it has the right mix of youth, experience, talls and smalls. I pretty much like our first replacement on every line too.

Sutcliffe is a strange one. Getting better each week and there may be a desire to play him because he is the best tagging option and we may need that come finals. I was not at the game Saturday and I really don't know what role he played? Defensive forward? Tagger resting up forward? High forward?

Motlop nearer to goals is a tempting proposition but do we have a role for him?
It did look like he was playing a defensive forward role, which I think he did well. We looked good locking the ball in F50, and he did some good things not reflected in his stats.

What bothers me is whether there is a place for both him and Sam Gray. Not the same player type I know, but seem to take similar roles.

Rockliff for Butters.

Our midfield is too slow with Boak, Rocky, Ollie and SPP in the team. Boaky got pushed more forward and went missing. Hes a game winner when hes not required to sit in that half forward role.

Rockliff is the slowest of the bunch and doesn't go in hard enough for me.

At this early stage:

OUT:
Bonner
Ladhams
Sutcliffe

IN:
Burton
Lycett
Motlop/Butters

Bonner gets enough of the football but he is worry as he has absolutely no physical presence. For a defender he is too easily pushed off the ball. Burton is a player of the future and has to come back in so Bonner seems the logical out.

Ladhams is the future for sure but I think a Lycett/Ryder combination is a better deal given our must win situation. Lycett and Ryder have the experience and ability to take it up to any rucks in the AFL, including Grundy and Goldstien. Ryder plays the tall forward/ruck role better than Ladhams or Lycett and his form inside the 50 last Saturday was pretty good.

Sutcliffe kicked a couple of goals last Saturday but never quite looked the part. He has that touch of Michael Pettigrew about him in that he looks to have a ceiling to his ability. Motlop has his faults but played closer to goal he might provide the small goal kicker we have been searching for. I cannot see Kenny resisting the temptation to reinstate Motlop on the back of his five goal effort in the SANFL. If Ken does resist temptation then Butters should get a look in, provided he has recovered from his sternum injury.

Three changes is a fair bit to make to a winning side but both Burton and Lycett will come back at some stage and it is probably better they return this week.

Concur with the opinions re Bonner, yes he's an outside player but you've got to tackle and provide a contest when it's your turn and he's totally uncompetitive. Also for someone who's supposed to be a good kick he turns it over way too much. Any replacement might be slower but I don't want to keep picking players with that many deficiencies.

Not sure Burton comes straight back in, he's got a bit of history with hamstrings, but maybe. Wouldn't mind seeing Motlop back in as a small forward, Sutcliffe or S. Gray out. Sutcliffe shows glimpses of valuable football nous (which we badly lack) but probably not doing enough, and S. Gray has been ordinary for a few weeks now.

Can't believe people are seriously wanting Ladhams dropped. Yes I want Lycett back in, but it should be for Ryder.

People call Ken out time and time again for leaving players to rot in the SANFL, and now want Ladhams back there after he's done everything asked of him in every AFL game he's played this season.

Also throw in the fact that Ryder is probably not here next season, so it makes sense to build on the Ladhams/Lycett partnership starting as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Sutcliffe is a strange one. Getting better each week and there may be a desire to play him because he is the best tagging option and we may need that come finals. I was not at the game Saturday and I really don't know what role he played? Defensive forward? Tagger resting up forward? High forward?

Motlop nearer to goals is a tempting proposition but do we have a role for him?

By best tagging option, do you mean best out of all the 100 gamers that had never ever been used as a tagger until the 2 diabolical recent attempts?

If Sutcliffe is ever used as a tagger for the Power again I am going to risk being arrested and punch Ken Hinkley in the face

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've just played 2 pretty bad sides.

Essendon just got brained by another team outside the 8, and Sydney have lost 6 on the trot.

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security by comfortable wins in squash matches. Just the fact that we turned up and did our job in both of them is great but if we're going to actually do something in this finals series we need to pick players that can help us win, not just make up the numbers.

I hate the idea that you automatically go in unchanged if you win. Winning =/= ideal football. You can always get better.

The over the top response to 2 wins in a row is maddening. Another win and the club will release a dvd.

The over the top response to 2 wins in a row is maddening ....
I think you've got to allow for the fact there's been genuinely positive stuff with the last 2 wins. Not just stumbling over the line but a whole lot of the things that have driven people mad seeming to have been addressed. Accurate goal kicking. Our KPP forwards contributing. Putting sides away by decent margins when the opportunity presents. Signs that team selection is not names from a hat.
I've enjoying watching us for the past fortnight and been able to watch the various footy shows without cringing. If either or both games had been Keystone Cops type 7 point heart-stoppers I'd probably have remained fed up and barely interested.

Last edited:
I think you've got to allow for the fact there's been genuinely positive stuff with the last 2 wins. Not just stumbling over the line but a whole lot of the things that have driven people mad seeming to have addressed. Accurate goal kicking. Our KPP forwards contributing. Putting sides away by decent margins when the opportunity presents. Signs that team selection is not names from a hat.
I've enjoying watching us for the past fortnight and been able to watch the various footy shows without cringing. If either or both games had been Keystone Cops type 7 point heart-stoppers I'd probably have remained fed up and barely interested.

It has been great. I’m just no where near the point of building a golden statute of Hinkley because of our last 2 wins.

I know it's hard to change a winning line up but if Zero is serious about making finals, he needs to go in with his best 22.

He may have to risk playing Burton, Lycett, Motlop, Drew.
Ladhams has been playing well but it will only take 1 game with a poor performance, we will all be saying wow, our premiership ruckman was sitting at the Maggies and we miss finals.

I know it's hard to change a winning line up but if Zero is serious about making finals, he needs to go in with his best 22.

He may have to risk playing Burton, Lycett, Motlop, Drew.
Ladhams has been playing well but it will only take 1 game with a poor performance, we will all be saying wow, our premiership ruckman was sitting at the Maggies and we miss finals.
This!

I love what Ladhams is bringing, but Lycett is still a better ruckman than him and our number 1 man!

If we are to play finals we need a settled team.
Lycett, Burton, Howard and Motlop would be considered to be in our best 22.

Bonner will be a liability, S. Gray has been quiet and SPP get ball kick ball.
That could open the door for Burton, Farrell, Motlop, Drew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back